Old 11-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #41

Spent the morning helping my son dispatch and dress the three turkeys he's been raising (named Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years) so only time for a short project this afternoon. I'm all about full disclosure - so will show not only projects that turned out great, but also those that didn't turn out quite as planned. This is one of the latter.

First picture shows the way our Pursuit was delivered. Seemed to me like a less than ideal way to store the ladder for the bunk over the cockpit... prevents you from easily carrying much else in this bay (this is where I plan to install my Dirt Devil central vac and store my 65 quart Engel cooler). So I came up the the great idea shown in the second photo - add two more broom clips and the ladder will store out of the way along the back wall of the compartment.

Except it won't stay in the clips - keeps popping out and falling down. If you look closely you'll see I've strapped the ladder into the clips with zip ties - presto! It stays right where I want it.

Since 95+% of the time it's just the DW and me on the road I doubt we'll use the bunk very much, if at all. If we do, I carry a toolkit in the MH and will just clip the zip ties. Will also carry spare ties to re-secure the ladder for the journey home. Sometimes Plan B is ALMOST as good as Plan A! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2670.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	94377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2674.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	94378  

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2016: 23
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #42

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow campers! I took the week off to chill a bit, get ready for the big family meal today, and of course putter with the motor home some.

This weeks project: a lighting mod. I really like the power step on my Pursuit but didn't like one aspect of how it worked from the factory. There's a switch inside the entryway to turn the step on & off. When on, the step extends whenever the door is opened and retracts when it's closed - that's cool, but would soon get annoying when parked at the campground. The other option is to turn the step off, in which case it extends and stays extended - just what you want when camped. But - there's a light under the step that's only on when the step is turned on and extended. So no light if you turn off the step and leave it out. We can fix that. I also wanted to add lighting inside to illuminate the step well at night or when you're likely to return to the camper after dark. Decided to kill two birds with one stone.

As-built the MH had two switches inside the entry way - one for the step and one for the light in the little "mud room" to the left of the step well. I added a third switch for my new light, and tied this to the existing light on the power step as well, so now turning on the step lights illuminates them both inside and out regardless of the position of the power step switch. The biggest problem was routing wiring down through the floor to get to the light below deck, so while I was at it I also ran a second wire for future storage compartment lighting... this is run off the switch for the mud room light, which now serves as a "master" basement light switch. Here is the result.

The inside light isn't in a "perfect" location but was the best place I could find to mount it and it does a "perfectly" adequate job of lighting the steps in the dark. BTW - you'll notice the hole for the existing double switch looks like it was chewed by a rabid beaver... the nice square extensions on each end were what I cut to add a third switch!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving... we're hosting the family horde as usual and will be frying a 16 pound turkey that my son raised. Should be a wonderful day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2677.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	95041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2681.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	95042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2688.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	95043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	95044  

Old 11-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #43
Former Full Timer

About those fine looking placards...
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #44

Legend Plates | Engraved Plastic Labels | Carolina Laser, Inc in about a week.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #45
Former Full Timer

Thank You.
Elbert Hubbard
Old 12-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #46

Safe-T-Plus install

Did the Safe-T-Plus installation yesterday with my son's help. Pretty straightforward task but took some muscle - especially to re-torque the nuts on the axle U-bolt to the required 250 ft-lbs. My son supplied that. :-)

I used Duckogram's trick of lifting the front end with the leveling jacks to measure and adjust the steering travel to +/-6" as required... see the marks on the blue tape on the tie rod. I did add some insurance by placing jack stands under the axle before crawling under there to work. Took a test drive and got it dialed in very close in two iterations of adjustment. The roads around here are atrocious (I'm told PA has the second worst roads in the country... I'd hate to live in whatever state has the worst) so final adjustments will wait until I can take a little longer ride and find a good straight stretch of road. As is, the front end feels much more stable and keeping her headed straight down the road is a lot less work.

Rear trac bar is on order... hopefully that'll be a somewhat easier install.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2710.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	96103   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2713.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	96104   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2714.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	96105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2716.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	96106  

Old 12-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #47
Former Full Timer

Verification please. I thought the u-bolts are 3/4" grade 5 UFC. If so, the normal torque is 190 ft lbs which is what I used.
Elbert Hubbard
Old 12-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #48

I searched on line for a torque spec for these and came up dry except for this:

http://www.truckspring.com/installat...OA-0000213.pdf

They were bloody tight when we took them off... and they didn't strip @250. Anyway - that's where I got the number.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:41 AM   #49

Progressive EMS Install Part II

So... I finally finished my Progressive Industries HW50C installation by mounting the monitor unit inside the coach. I really like pretty much everything about this system... except how the monitor is built. I didn't like the idea that if you surface mount the box (as intended) the cable comes out the bottom and would have to pass through a hole in the wall below the box. Call me anal (go ahead, it's OK, I am) but that just felt "unprofessional" to me. So... I had a panel made that would allow me to mount the unit behind the wall with just the face of the box poking through, with the wire dropping down behind the wall. To put it where I wanted I had to relocate the small existing panel for the TV Booster / Park Cable selector switch. The photos pretty much tell the story, and show "control central" before, during, and after my mod. While I was at it I replaced the water pump switch in the main panel (which was mounted upside down - down being on and up being off) with an illuminated switch to provide a pilot light indicating when the pump is turned on - identical to the existing switch for the water heater. Really pleased with how it turned out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2693.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	96172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	96173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2699.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	96174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	96175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2723.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	96176  

Old 12-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #50
Former Full Timer

Thanks for the spec sheet. I may have to get a bigger torque wrench now.

Your PI PMS install is impressive. I took great pains in making the cord as unobtrusive as possible but did not come close to your level of neatness.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	96185  

Elbert Hubbard

Tags
coachmen