Old 04-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #81

Heating issue update

When I got home after our weekend trip I wrote to Nate explaining the issue and asking what could be done. I just received a reply from him asking for my VIN# so they could provide a repair plan. Will keep the group posted on future developments.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2016: 23
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #82

Congratulations from a fellow Pursuit owner, we picked up our 33BH April 6 2016. Good luck with your new unit.

Blue OX
cberlanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by cberlanga View Post
Congratulations from a fellow Pursuit owner, we picked up our 33BH April 6 2016. Good luck with your new unit.
Congrats to you as well, cberlanga - enjoy your new rig. I've got a 2015 Wrangler I'm currently outfitting as a toad... Blue Ox bracket, ReadyBrute Elite tow bar, and Mopar factory wiring harness. If it ever stops raining here maybe I'll get the wiring and brake cabling installed... bracket's already in place.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #84

Our new 2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD

I've really enjoyed this thread. You guys(Pashhooter especially) are amazing with your mods. I being the worlds worst fixit guy, would be intimidated at trying any of them. But I can still appreciate what you do.
I do not have an RV yet, but very much like the layout of the 31BD.
Three questions. Why install the safety plus? Is it a steering damper, and was it necessary to install because the factory steering damper was inadequate?
Also, what kind of gas mileage are you getting with the 31BD?
Finally, anyone who has had the 31BD, are there inherently any issues I should know up front that I should have the dealer deal with before I buy it.
Thanks for your feedback, and I will be following this thread(continuing saga) with interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
I've really enjoyed this thread. You guys(Pashhooter especially) are amazing with your mods. I being the worlds worst fixit guy, would be intimidated at trying any of them. But I can still appreciate what you do.
I do not have an RV yet, but very much like the layout of the 31BD.
Three questions. Why install the safety plus? Is it a steering damper, and was it necessary to install because the factory steering damper was inadequate?
Also, what kind of gas mileage are you getting with the 31BD?
Finally, anyone who has had the 31BD, are there inherently any issues I should know up front that I should have the dealer deal with before I buy it.
Thanks for your feedback, and I will be following this thread(continuing saga) with interest.

Thanks for the compliments... I have fun doing this kind of stuff (the mods) and making the rig just the way I like it. We're very pleased with the layout - it's just the DW and me 95% of the time and the layout works great for us.

After doing a lot of reading (and a little bit of driving) I decided to add a couple of chassis mods - notable the Safe-T-Plus and a rear track bar (Blue Ox - purchased but not yet installed). There is no steering stabilizer on the F53 chassis as it comes from the factory, and It made a big improvement on the tendency for the front end to "wander." Don't get me wrong - the unit was quite drivable without it, but is more relaxing and less work to drive with it installed. Same with the rear track bar - though I haven't experienced that one first hand yet. The long elliptical springs in the rear allow the body to rock back and forth a bit - something you feel in the seat of your pants while driving that causes you to want to correct for the sway with steering input, when actually the chassis is tracking straight down the road, only the body is wagging side-to-side. Others have been very happy with the stock handling, and more power to them. I plan to do some "long haul" traveling once I retire next year, and anything that makes that more enjoyable is a plus to me. Note that this "tail wagging" tendency is inherent with ANY MH built on the F53 chassis (which is pretty much every front engine gasser made by anyone). It will vary by chassis length and amount of rear overhang, but they all do it to some extent.

I can't help you with your gas mileage question as I'm still on my first full (80 gallon) tank - but from what I read something in the 7-ish range is reasonable to expect.

The only "inherent" issue I know of is this heating issue - we've been very pleased with everything else so far, and hopefully Coachmen will take care of it for us. They did make a design change early in the 2016 model year (after ours was built) to delete the floor register by the dinette and put a separately fed wall register there, and also extend the trunk that runs through the floor to the front register all the way back to the furnace and feed it with two 4" ducts there... mine is fed under the bathroom vanity and has two vents, one by the dinette and the one all the way up front. I don't know if that mod fixed the problem but it certainly must've helped.

The Pursuit is a "low end" Class A and I knew that going in, but it was at the right price point for us. It's well built and a good platform for the mods I wanted to make. So far Coachmen and the dealer have taken good care of us... so no regrets.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #86

Our new 2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD

So the Blue ox rear track bar was not for towing-- but just for handling to prevent the tail wagging. ( but I guess that would help if you towed)?

Old 04-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
So the Blue ox rear track bar was not for towing-- but just for handling to prevent the tail wagging. ( but I guess that would help if you towed)?

Correct - though I suspect it will make things more stable when towing as well. Can't hurt, right?

Old 05-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #88

Did you install the rear trac bar yourself? I just installed a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer yesterday, similar to Safe-T-plus. I'm not sure I want to try and do the trac bar myself.
Blue OX
cberlanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:13 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cberlanga View Post
Did you install the rear trac bar yourself? I just installed a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer yesterday, similar to Safe-T-plus. I'm not sure I want to try and do the trac bar myself.
I haven't installed the rear trac bar yet, but I have it and plan to install it myself. It doesn't look like a terribly difficult job. We shall see...

Old 05-02-2016, 10:42 PM   #90
Former Full Timer

I installed it by myself. You will need a 250# torque wrench.

Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen