Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #101

Tell Nate I said hello. Was not there last week Friday when I stopped in.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #102
Certified Curmudgeon

Lightbulb TPO Roof Discovery

This past summer our roof took a hit from a falling tree limb. It took a dime sized "divot" out of the TPO. I had some clear silicone adhesive on hand so I made a temp patch to keep the water out. I also noticed some uglys around the skylight so those were addressed as well.

Its been parked under the palms since our return while I collected knowledge and materials needed to properly affect the repair.

A patch was made from eternabond tape and pieces were cut for all four sides of the skylight. Cleaning the roof and letting it dry came next. Then the cleaner, more drying and application of the tape. The tape is tan but the TPO is biege so it will not be an invisible repair.

It is recommended that lap sealant is applied to the edge of the tape to prevent the possibility of high wind peeling and dirt collection. This is where I found out that all TPO is not created equal. I went to Dicor's website and found that there is the green, one part, tube which comes in a few colors and the blue two part that requires a brush on "primer". So how do you know which one to use. The factory uses a lap sealant during manufacture so you can be reasonably certain that they do not spend the time on a two part.

Dicor recommends that you pull a garnish or AC grill so you can determine what type of TPO was used. I did that but the TPO is flush trimmed to the opening and it is hard to tell if it is the older felt backed TPO or the new solid versions. So I called Coachmen yesterday and asked. They returned my call in a few hours (good news) and with a vin # they were able to confirm that my roof was the felt backed TPO which can use either type of lap sealant. For the newer solid TPO you must use the two part. During the conversation Coachmen told me that only the early '14's have the felt backed TPO. So the point of this post is to advise you to check first. I'll get some pics when I head up to finish the job.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:28 AM   #103

Nate Hedges

we talk to Nate for a good long time, was showing him all the bubbles on the cabinets,and wall paper, ceiling and tv's, he said make a list and send it to him and he would put a little fire under the dealer, and make sure they do it right, and if they didn't would pull the product from their dealership, he also said that now that I am having trouble with both tv's to go buy one and he would reimburse me up to 300.00 so I could have a tv while I travel,
he is a really nice guy, and cares about how you are satisfied with your coach, he said he is trying to make changes in how the coaches come off the line and the quality that goes into them, we are very impressed with this young guy, and he has helped us from afar,
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:44 AM   #104

we are currently in Nebraska, we are resting in the KOA in Gretna, going to visit with my DW sisters, it has been 19 years since we were last here, we was thinking of visiting mount rushmore, but was talking to some people who just came from there and they said most camping was closinf for the winter there so we may be too late to see anything that way, may just have to go south again to see anything, since we rushed on the way out to N.C.,since we have not yet bought a toad, we are going to try and rent a car so we can roam around the city and visit, we have been thinking of a toad that is not too expensive, and just get us around short jaunts, do not need much, I have noticed most have jeeps, and some have smart cars, whats the verdict on either, any thoughts, other than we wood have to tow the smart car on a trailer, thats a given
Old 10-09-2015, 06:33 AM   #105

Hammer55
You are correct on Nate being a great guy to deal with. He has been working very hard to make sure that things are taken care of. Did you stop by the Coachman office and Coachman Owners Association office while you were there.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #106

yes we did, my DW had to buy a shirt and cup, and talked with the gal and guys there, very nice and helpful, got a discount since we were members

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQfrog View Post
Hammer55
You are correct on Nate being a great guy to deal with. He has been working very hard to make sure that things are taken care of. Did you stop by the Coachman office and Coachman Owners Association office while you were there.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #107
Certified Curmudgeon

Hammer55,
Why is it a given that you would tow a Smart Fortwo on a trailer?
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post968193
Old 10-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #108

OK, I might be assuming, making a ***** out of myself, that is OK, my DW says I do that all the time, so you don't have to do anything special in towing a smart car, I have not really checked it out to know a whole lot about them, was just thinking while writing, should have kept my thoughts to a question,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Hammer55,
Why is it a given that you would tow a Smart Fortwo on a trailer?
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post968193
Old 10-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #109
Certified Curmudgeon

LOL, not to worry. We've been there, done that. BTW, wait till you find out Jeeps ain't cheap...
Old 10-10-2015, 06:18 AM   #110

oh I have looked at jeeps, I almost bought one before I bought my 2013 dodge truck,,

Quote:
LOL, not to worry. We've been there, done that. BTW, wait till you find out Jeeps ain't cheap...
Old 10-11-2015, 05:50 AM   #111

Picked up our 2016 Pursuit 31BD yesterday at Boat N RV in Hamburg, PA. Good delivery experience, coach was nicely detailed prior to pick-up, and our tech did a superb job of the PDI and walk through. Only found one minor (post-PDI) problem so far... the 12V power outlets on the dash are dead. Will diagnose this myself - not worth a trip back to the shop.

Concerning the coach being pre-wired for satellite TV: there's a small round plate on the roof forward of the front a/c unit (our coach has the 50A upgrade and dual a/c's) that says "wiring for Winegard satellite antenna beneath this plate" or some such thing. Now to find the other end of said wiring... I suspect it's in the cabinet above the entry door that houses the other TV stuff... just haven't explored for that yet.

Let the modding begin!

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #112
Certified Curmudgeon

Thats good news. FYI, I had the same problem with accessory outlets. Turned out that the wires were routed over a sharp edged metal support which caused a short to ground. The fuses are under there as well.
Now you're going to have to start an "Our Pursuit 31BD" thread to share all your mods.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #113

Quote:
Thats good news. FYI, I had the same problem with accessory outlets. Turned out that the wires were routed over a sharp edged metal support which caused a short to ground. The fuses are under there as well.
Now you're going to have to start an "Our Pursuit 31BD" thread to share all your mods.
Will check into that. Didn't get the chance to do that yet as today was "moving day." Everything we pulled out of the old camper was sitting on our dining room table... been figuring out where it all goes in the new MH and packing it away.

So many mods - all part of the fun. On the list so far is LED lighting upgrade, surge protector and automatic transfer switch (looks like a cake install - plenty of room & access in the basement electrical compartment), antifreeze bypass, black tank flush, and installing the Dirt Devil central vac that I pulled out of the Flagstaff before trading it.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #114

winds in nebraska

was leaving gretna, ne. going to grand island yesterday, winds were horrendous, had to take some back highways just to get to grand island, went to walmart, and bought a new tv and am going to send Nate a emailed receipt, he said he would pay me back the first 300.00 for the tv, and I slept in the parking lot until the winds died down, then drove to kearney for the nite, the wind also caught my new door and bent the heck and destroyed the strut, thought at first it bent the door itself, but was all good, glad I did it and not the DW,
Old 10-17-2015, 05:41 AM   #115

Well made it home yesterday, about 3:30, now to rest up and plan another, going to go the southern route next time, start early before we have to be in NC for our sons retirement, I want to see Louisianan, and get some gator, we stopped in at Ollie's in Paxton, NE. and I had some fried mountain oysters again , it has been 19 years since we were in NE, my wife just could not believe the scenery in every state, she especially loved Indiana, and Utah with all the high plateaus,
the only complaint I have is the handling of the coach in the wind, it is not stable at all, the long inclines were really slow, but doable, otherwise a great trip,,,one thing I am going to do is change to royal purple, I really think the engine works really hard, I am wondering how the longer motorhomes do with the same engine on those long inclines and in the wind,,, in NE we had to pull over and wait for the wind to stop, it was blowing 50+ miles and hour
Old 10-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #116
Certified Curmudgeon

TPO Repair & Maintenance

Finally finished the roof repair and maintenance. The pics are posted on photobucket. I also found some air bubbles in the OEM lap sealant that needed some attention before they become a leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	92353  
Old 12-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #117
Certified Curmudgeon

Another Brisk Air II Bites the Dust

Here we go again. Back in mid April '15 my OEM AC developed a freon leak and ceased cooling. I bought a new one out of pocket and had it slapped on in order to keep our long planned trip in tact. Dometic did replace the top unit which I was considering installing in the bedroom. Yesterday I cranked the air up to exercise the generator. It operated normally except no cooling! So I checked my PI PMS readout and discovered the compressor was only drawing 8 amps! Oh Neaux, another leaker. This one is under full warranty so I contacted Dometic and was given 4 local authorized dealers that I could contact.
1. Out of business
2. Yachts only... different supplier.
1. Would not do warranty work for Dometic!
So I found one myself and a replacement is on the way.

This will be my 3rd top unit on a 2014 coach! (and I have a spare in the garage)
I don't think I will be recommending this model anytime soon.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #118

That's truly... unfortunate. To say the least. I'm assuming these are all Brisk Air II units with the known leaking issue? They (Dometic) claim that the problem affects only "3% - 5% of units manufactured between 2013 and March 25 2015." I suspect the one you bought in April also fell into that range, but three defective units? Makes one doubt their " only 3% - 5%" claim...

Old 12-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #119

warranty

well was here thinking, our warranty runs out in three days and was wondering if the dealer I bought the motorhome is going to follow through on the warranty items I have or are they just going to pass them off as screw the customer, some of the items have been since the beginning os the purchase, just discerning is it going to be worth me attaining a attorney in the end when they tell me so sorry we put you off long enough so now we no longer have the responsibility to fix any problems you have with your coach, just pondering what my response will be, so I am not taking this to seriously, so I don't jump right into a belligerent response,,, I guess one has go to have a cool head, but that us just not me
Old 12-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #120
Certified Curmudgeon

Hammer55,
If you have defects that were memorialized in writing prior to the expiration of the warranty it is highly unlikely that you will have any issue with Coachmen. If your dealer develops amnesia it will be imortant to have documentation to make your case for coverage. So what I did was send an e-mail to the service dept with a copy to my salesmen. I did that with every item. Numbered each and referenced each return item just in case I needed to elevate any issue I might have. So break out the jar of honey, especially with Nate if need be, but keep a hammer (pun intended) in your pocket. Just a suggestion. I still doubt you will have any problem.