Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Certified Curmudgeon

Porch Light Fuse Help

I have a 2014 Pursuit 27KB and the porch light has no power to the switch. There are no fuses out in the converter box and no fuses out in the coach box under the left side of the dash where the awning, mirrors and power outlets are fused. I'm wondering if there is a 3rd (or more) fuse panel hidden somewhere else???
Thanks
Old 06-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I have a 2014 Pursuit 27KB and the porch light has no power to the switch. There are no fuses out in the converter box and no fuses out in the coach box under the left side of the dash where the awning, mirrors and power outlets are fused. I'm wondering if there is a 3rd (or more) fuse panel hidden somewhere else???
Thanks
Don't have the master battery switch in the open position do you?
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Don't have the master battery switch in the open position do you?
No, I checked that too. There is power to the entry light switch which is the other switch in the pair.

BTW, the porch light is a starlite 1000 so even if the LED was faulty you would still get the blue ready LED during the day. I also checked the connection of the light itself. It's easy to get at behind the microwave. That's when I chased the problem to the switch. The switch works but there is no power there either.
Soooo, that's what led me to the fuse... when I find the little bugger!
Old 06-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Update: Found the fuse. It's wired into the step circuit.
Unfortunately, that is not the malfunction.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #5

Do you have a remote control that operates the system.. I had a issue with a scare light that would not turn off. It turned out that the light was turned on by remote control and I could not turn it off manually. I found this out the hard way as I had to remove the bulb to get the light out. The dealer found the issue about the remote control. Don't know if this is your issue but it can't hurt to check it out!
2016 SILVERADO 2500HD 6.6 Duramax
2012 280BH Casscade
sammonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammonilla View Post
Do you have a remote control that operates the system.. I had a issue with a scare light that would not turn off. It turned out that the light was turned on by remote control and I could not turn it off manually. I found this out the hard way as I had to remove the bulb to get the light out. The dealer found the issue about the remote control. Don't know if this is your issue but it can't hurt to check it out!
Good thought but not applicable.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #7

Sounds like you're going to have to trace the wire to its source. Might be a broken or disconnected wire. If the unit is new, will the dealer do it under warranty perhaps?

Don't know what else to tell you. I sure by now you have pulled the light socket off the wall and confirmed that there is no power to the socket. (or switch).

One last thought..... a faulty ground might appear like no power but that can be checked easily with a grounded trouble light.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Gary

One more random thought... do you have more than one switch for the light circuit that might be in the off position overriding the switch you are working on.

I say this because I spent hours trying to sort out why the 5.1 speaker system would not work in our coach only to discover that you need to turn the sound system on with a rocker switch on the dash board first. 3 -4 hours of my life wasted on that one. :-)

Oh, how about connecting a lead to your battery or another hot source and feeding it to the switch to see if the light comes on then? If it does, you at least know that part of the circuit is good.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Roll your absolutely right. So here is where I am so far...
Fuse Good, Power to and from switch. Traced power to 6 way plug in the utility "bag" and there is power and ground to that point. The porch light is mounted on the slide. The microwave is on the other side of the wall. I pulled the Microwave and checked the connections I made when I installed the Starlight 1000. All good but no power.
Then I checked the factory crimp connector about 6" down the line. All good but no power.
the wires then go through the bottom of the microwave cabinet into the top of the vent hood. The power from the 6 way plug under the fridge goes to the vent fan and cooktop light as well. Both of them work. Soooo, I never checked the ground at the light. I will do that next. If that's the problem, it's an easy fix. If not, I'll have to pull the vent hood and take a look see as that is where the ground is most likely attached.

It is under warranty but we are almost packed and ready to hit the road. If I can squeeze into the dealer on the way north I will but if not I will hook a jumper into the cooktop light and use that switch to operate the porch light until we can get it in when we return in September.

Thanks for the Check the Ground suggestion. I can't believe I forgot that basic step.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #9

Have a great trip and don't let a porch light ruin anything. If nothing else pick up a cheap lantern and hang it nearby if you need to.

Of course if you're like me just the fact that something isn't working properly bugs me. Hard to shake it. But anyway, have a good trip.

Gary
Old 06-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Porch Light Problem Solved

Finally! Got it fixed. Ended up starting over after a good nights rest on the road (Sunnyvale Texas) and some time to kill.
Ran a ground up from the range hood and verified that there was no power to the light.
Removed the bottom of microwave cabinet and discovered that they changed wire colors from medium blue to med blue with a yellow stripe! That meant that I was checking the wrong wire in the bag.
I did one more check by removing the sink light. Wire still med blue w/yellow stripe and no junction.
Next I was back under the fridge at the 6 way plug only this time I had the right wire. Dead as a door nail. The wire coming from the bag to the 6 way was back to med blue with no stripe... lovely.
Pressing on into the "bag" I followed the blue wire to the junction where everything in the slide transitions into the under floor harness. After removing the wire from the last plastic shield I found the end where it had been
mangled. A little more thrashing and there it was! The other end had twanged back under the slide. I finally fished it out and by golly there was power. After crimping in a connector and mending the cut all is well.
Whew. BTW, the cut wire just happened to be exactly where the shop did some work on the redesigned bottom seal. I'm shocked!!!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #11

What a job. Glad to know you found the issue. So in hours, what do you think you invested in this repair? 24 hours?

Gary
Old 06-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
Certified Curmudgeon

About 4 non-consecutive hours.

Tags
fuse, light