Old 04-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #1

Portable/Temporary RV Shelter

I live in the country. I had a lower drive put in to park the RV in the winter, but there are a lot of trees. How to keep the leaves off, how to keep tree sap off, how to keep bird stuff off. How not to get taxed (and have the expense) of a permanent shelter. My older smaller RV was covered with a tyvek cover, it was a pain in the lower extremities to deploy an remove/fold. I found a solution at
www.portablegaragedepot.com I bought the 14Wx16Hx40L shelter with stock grey canvas cover and zippered roll-up end panels. It is now up, pictures (including assembly) coming soon. One person can do the pre-assembly but it takes 4 people to do all the final assembly stuff. Basic hand tools required. For frame assembly, end panel, and main structure canvas assembly ..... a 12 foot stepladder (minimum) is required. I chose this route...has anyone tried a different route? Looking for 'on property' storage only. Reason it is on this thread is because it will house my Coachmen Encounter 37TZ-Chalet.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #2

Waiting for those pics 1nshort. Want to see how this goes for you. I'd like to put up a building on my property for the coach and storage for some equipment. I'd want electric and water and heat so I could work on it in the winter. Shoot from the hip estimates put it at about $50K. I can rent a single inside stall at a local storage place for $225 a month making the $50K investment a looser. No heat at the local place but they do give me electric and its an individual stall, not an open building so for the time that's where I park.

And yup, its a tight fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	for post re storage.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	51762  

2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Waiting for those pics 1nshort. Want to see how this goes for you. I'd like to put up a building on my property for the coach and storage for some equipment. I'd want electric and water and heat so I could work on it in the winter. Shoot from the hip estimates put it at about $50K. I can rent a single inside stall at a local storage place for $225 a month making the $50K investment a looser. No heat at the local place but they do give me electric and its an individual stall, not an open building so for the time that's where I park.

Good grief, that is a tight fit

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #4

Okay, pictures edited so I can post. Still have to figure out how to sequence them. This is a canvas garage with quick zip front and back doors that roll up/down. It is steel tubular frame. The whole kit came in at 1330 lbs. I bought the optional auger anchors that go into the ground 33 inches (8 each side), which fasten to frame members with hefty wire. Cost delivered with options (ez zip doors, auger anchors, tailgate service) $3200. It is 16 ft high 40 feet long, 14 feet wide. On the site they now are 15 feet wide. Most would probably prefer the 44 foot long one. I just wanted it to fit, didn'tcare how much room to front or back I had. My ladder is at the backdoor and I have 2 ft at the front...good enough for me.

Forest River Forums - 1nshort's Album: RV Garage
Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #5

RV garages

Quote:

Roll, if you want a more permanent structure you might contact
Steel Home Kits Ľ America's #1 Choice in DIY Steel Homes tell them you want a garage give them the details and get a quote. My Arizona house (retirement house) will be one of their houses. Either the Wyoming, Silverado or Anchorage.

1n
Old 05-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
Okay, pictures edited so I can post. Still have to figure out how to sequence them. This is a canvas garage with quick zip front and back doors that roll up/down. It is steel tubular frame. The whole kit came in at 1330 lbs. I bought the optional auger anchors that go into the ground 33 inches (8 each side), which fasten to frame members with hefty wire. Cost delivered with options (ez zip doors, auger anchors, tailgate service) $3200. It is 16 ft high 40 feet long, 14 feet wide. On the site they now are 15 feet wide. Most would probably prefer the 44 foot long one. I just wanted it to fit, didn'tcare how much room to front or back I had. My ladder is at the backdoor and I have 2 ft at the front...good enough for me.

Forest River Forums - 1nshort's Album: RV Garage
Wow, what a monster job. Opening and getting acquainted with the parts, assembly, set up, and pulling the cover over. Looks like a crew of 4 or 5. Nice work.

From opening the packages to finished product, can you estimate the time it took?

Is the cover wind proof around the bottom edges?

And completely off topic, did you coach come with a painted grille? Yours looks black, mine is aluminum in color though mine is not painted.

Nice Job Denis.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #7

2 days to unpack and become familiar with the assembly.
1 long day to assemble the frames.
1 long day to stand up the frames, connect, and install top frame
1 day to install the front and back doors on the frame.
1 day to pull top over and tighten. Install quick zippers and roll-up lines.

Crew of 4 a necessiTy.

1n

Sent from my LGL86C using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Do keep coming back to this thread and post your thoughts as time and conditions pass. I'm curious how this holds up. This likely will be what we end up with if we move and are finally able to store our camper at home.

I'm surprised that you have so little room on either side of your coach. I'm not positive I'd be able to open my slides with what I'm seeing.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #9

I'll keep posting. I bought the minimum canvas which should be good for a few years. They have a medium duty and a heavy duty canvas also. The RV is 8.5 ft wide and the enclosure is 14 ft inside. I really have no desire to put out the slides. The newer enclosures are 15 ft so most people should be able to open slides. Go to the web site and you can get an idea of durability. I will not be here that long but it is a sale item when I do sell the house when I retire, but in this area being near the Chesapeake Bay there are a lot of boat owners and RV/TT/5th owners that would jump on a setup like this. I have 29 inches on one side and 41 inches on the other side. This is my first time backing in, so if I center better I think I can deploy slides. It would be tight.....might give it a try in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Wow, what a monster job. Opening and getting acquainted with the parts, assembly, set up, and pulling the cover over. Looks like a crew of 4 or 5. Nice work.

From opening the packages to finished product, can you estimate the time it took?

Is the cover wind proof around the bottom edges?

And completely off topic, did you coach come with a painted grille? Yours looks black, mine is aluminum in color though mine is not painted.

Nice Job Denis.

Gary
Roll,

Missed the bottom edge question. There is sufficient skirting to resist wind, particularly if you put weight (non abrasive) on it at points along the length.
My grill is metal with a baked on black powder coat. My time to assemble in a separate post is the times I/we actually performed each step. I stopped between blizzards and torrential rains, at each step. It is not really hard just tedious repetitive assembly. Warm hands a must. If I back in centered I believe I can level and put out the slides. I will try that in a couple of weeks. Right now we are getting the camping urge

1n