Old 08-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
possibly the worst cigarette lighter socket design ever

2016 Pursuit 30FW, 2 cigarette lighter power ports on side of dash at driver seat. Have had issues from first day with power on these two devices. I kept blowing fuses at random times, usually when plugging something in to the socket. I finally unscrewed all of the screws, pulled the dash up and removed the plugs to see what was going on and found the culprit. Wish I had taken some pics, but I will describe as best as I can.

At the bottom of a normal cigarette lighter socket is the copper tab in the middle of an insulator that connects with the plus power, and the metallic barrel sides are the ground.

On these ridiculously designed sockets, there is also a u shaped piece of metal riveted under the positive tab that extend about a half inch up the sides of the socket in a cutout , but the ends of the u are bent in such a way that the slightest flex and they can (and will) make contact with the barrell (ground) causing an instant short. A larger diameter plug will push the tabs out into contact with the barrell as well, and I found if I rotated the plug in the socket, the two spring steel pieces that make your negative contact with the barrel ALSO would make contact with this stupid U shape tab attached to the positive, and voila instant dead short (and blown fuse).

Rather than tear up the dash to attempt to replace them, I took the sockets apart and broke of the offending tabs reaching up the side of the barrel, and folded the short leftover pieces over the top of the positive stud just to make sure no possibility of any stray contact with the barrel sides. And what do you know, no more shorts!

Gotta wonder what the idea was for these, as I have never seen a device with a cigarette lighter plug that had positive contact anywhere but the end of the plug. Even the european version (much smaller) has positive contact only at the absolute bottom of the plug, never up the sides,

Oh well, hope that helps someone out with the "whats up with my dash power" issue.

another day in paradise tweaking and farkling the RV!

just realized I put plug not socket in original post title, my mistake

scotttkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
It is certainly amazing some of the poorly done work in these rigs...The messes of sawdust and trash under cabinets and places like that get under my skin every time !!!!

2016 Concord

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
yeah, I'm still baffled as to why the socket would have been made this way, no good reason I can think of to want to induce a dead short like this. I played around with one of the two sockets before I broke off the tabs and reinstalled, and I could dead short it with several different plugs, phone power adapters, etc. If you pushed one in exactly right it would work fine, but a degree or two of rotation off and the clips make contact. Back in the day I remember seeing some made with a cardboard sleeve acting as an insulator around the central tube, I cant help but wonder if these were supposed to have one and it just was missed at the factory.
scotttkd is offline   Reply With Quote