Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Potential safety issue 22QB

This is our 2nd Coachmen Freelander. Current model is 2016 22QB. Previous was 2008 2130QB.
While we are generally happy with the new coach and do see a number of improvements since '08, I wanted to let others know that in my opinion there is a potential safety issue with the new design.

At the foot of the bed there is a small space to step on when getting in or out of the bed. On the 2008 there is similar step.

However we note that the width of the step in the 2016 seems narrower than in the '08. My wife has noted this as more than once when climbing down off the bottom of the bed she has slipped when only part of her foot was on the narrow ledge. Luckily she has not injured herself but she has asked me to design and install an extension to the step at the curved section of the floor step.

We do not have access to an '08 model but do not seem to remember having this problem with that unit.
It appears that there is a significant possibility of someone twisting and ankle or even worse, given the tendency to step off the bed and expect the floor be wide enough to support your entire foot.

While it is possible to gain full support if you put your toes right against the power center this is not a normal maneuver when exiting the bed.

Having worked in the automotive industry for 40 years and being involved in a number of new vehicle evaluation programs I have to wonder if anyone spent any time actually sleeping in the bed and the person nearest the side of the RV attempting to get out of bed, when not fully awake in the dark of night.

I am thinking of about a 6" extension curved to match the OE cutout should do it. Does this seem reasonable solution to this oversight?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #2

Sounds good, I would also install a motion activated night light
Danesville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:30 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesville View Post
Sounds good, I would also install a motion activated night light

Good idea but as you climb out of bed backwards I'm not sure a light behind you is of value.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 06-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

We passed on several units with the step down in the bedroom... Not sure what the answer is, a low level light might help remind you when it pops on in the middle of the night.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
We passed on several units with the step down in the bedroom... Not sure what the answer is, a low level light might help remind you when it pops on in the middle of the night.

Aaron

Understand and agree but have to wonder what purpose if any the swoopy curve serves. Maybe someone at FR thought it looked "nice".

IMO more smoke and mirrors rather than substance that is used in the hope of making the sale. I would have preferred 5 minutes of planning and alternate mounting of the water pump so I could do proper winterizing rather than a swoopy edge to the step which takes more manufacturing effort than a straight cut would,
Old 06-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Understand and agree but have to wonder what purpose if any the swoopy curve serves. Maybe someone at FR thought it looked "nice".

IMO more smoke and mirrors rather than substance that is used in the hope of making the sale. I would have preferred 5 minutes of planning and alternate mounting of the water pump so I could do proper winterizing rather than a swoopy edge to the step which takes more manufacturing effort than a straight cut would,
I have no clue what goes on in the design departments at many RV assemblers. I was told by a rep from one major brand that the sales department had a lot of input into what went into them, I have to assume that is before the bean counters took over.

We looked at quite a few Class C/B+ that had that type step and my wife said no way. We got the Concord and it is flat floor all the way back. I have to think they are putting it in for some sort of frame or tank clearance. Didn't bother to crawl under and see why they were doing. We saw it on multiple brands.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #7

On my 25qb, which in this regard seems to be the same as your 21qb, I exit the bed at the corner instead off of the end. in fact it is quite difficult to exit the bed at the end if the privacy curtain is deployed in the privacy position because the curtain must be fully opened since it is attached vertically along the wall on the step end.
adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #8

My Leprechaun QB220 is about the same design. Haven't slipped off the edge yet, but I can see what you're saying. So that's where the water pump is hiding? In that mess of pipes and wire behind that hatch? Jeesh, can't wait to have to work on it :P
stewbinoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #9

We have three models in this thread, so the differences may matter. My inverter/charger is on the end near the narrow step. My water pump is on the driver's side near the rear adajscent to the city and water fill hookups. In my case the pump is easy to access, although the garage needs to be almost empty to get the long panel and all of the screws off
adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Finished the improvement of the step.

No longer twist ankle when stepping off the end of the bed as my foot has full support.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbinoh View Post
My Leprechaun QB220 is about the same design. Haven't slipped off the edge yet, but I can see what you're saying. So that's where the water pump is hiding? In that mess of pipes and wire behind that hatch? Jeesh, can't wait to have to work on it :P
The plumbing "diagram" and instructions suggest the water pump is under the sink in bathroom. Well they are partially correct. It is under the floor that is under the sink.
White spot in this picture of "basement"

Tags
safety