Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

Power for TV.

Coachman Pursuit 27kb
Does anyone know if there is a way to have power to the TV at night, without having to run the generator all night, if we are boondocking ?? We like the background noise of the TV but really don't want to have to run the generator all night.
Thanks
the thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Get an inverter and plug it into the 12v round socket that should be near the tv hookups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
Site Team

If you are just looking for background noise all night. why not use the radio. If you don't want music choose an all news station.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #4

They do make some pretty decent 12 volt TVs, this would be the most efficient option, otherwise a small inverter will work like previously mentioned. They cost a bit more but a pure sine wave inverter is the better investment.
The radio alone is a very good suggestion, but if that's a no-go then see if there's an option in settings to dim the screen as this uses the most power. You also should consider setting the timer to turn the set off in a few hours.
Remember, lead-acid batteries don't play nice after discharging below 50% too many times!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:05 AM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

The inverter would be the quick and dirty way to go. We use one for entertainment when traveling.

If all you need is white noise there are several options. I actually have an app on my cellphone that creates a variety of background noises, plugged into a small speaker it works great. You can buy small white noise machines that you could plug in that will draw a lot less current than a television set, and I have seen battery-powered ones.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:29 PM   #6

I changed out the TV over the kitchen counter with a Samsung smart TV. It has screen mirroring for tablets and phones. I put a 12V outlet under the lip of the counter and use a small inverter to power it when on the road or when we don't have hookups. The TV has only a 27W typical/55W max power consumption.

AL

Inverter:
https://www.harborfreight.com/80-wat...ter-66972.html
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power