Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #1

Question About Hitch Extensions: Need Help!

I recently installed a Blue Ox base plate on my Dodge Durango, which I will be pulling with my 2016 Leprechaun 319DS. I also bought a set of Blue Ox tow bars and everything was simple enough to hook up.

However, the base plate on the Durango is approximately 4-5" higher than the center point of the Blue Ox tow bars at the receiver end, which means I'm outside of the +-3" variance that's suggested for safety reasons.

So . . . I purchased a 4" high/low receiver extender . . . one that can be used either up or down, and I, of course, needed it to be in the up position. Before ordering one, I researched a number of brands, since I was concerned about the shank being long enough to line up with the receiver's pin hole and still clear the bumper of my motorhome. Roadmaster appeared to have one that would be perfect; it arrived today, and as you expect by now, it wouldn't fit -- shank wasn't long enough to reach the pin hole because of the bumper. I called Roadmaster tech support moments ago, and they said they had nothing that would work in that application. I'm contacting Blue Ox via email, but hoping you folks know of an answer.

I can't be the only Class C owner out there who needs to use an extension in the up position, so Help, please! What brand have you found that clears the bumper?

Many thanks!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #2

Can I asumme you chose a class IV tow bar due to the 10,000 pound towing capacity?

I am no expert here since I am only in the research stage of purchasing a Blue Ox setup to tow a Jeep Wrangler. I have not compared the actual height difference yet because our Georgetown 369XL is still in storage.

My first concern is the MH receiver would be too high to meet the +/- 3 inch requirement of the class IV tow bar. So I was thinking about purchasing the Acclaim tow bar. The Acclaim has a height requirement of parallel to 7 inches. However, it is a class III and has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs.

My next concern is that if an unforeseen circumstance would arise and I wanted to tow my Chevy Avalanche, I would not be able to do so with the Acclaim tow bar. I then came across the Allure tow bar with a pintle ring. It has a 10,000 lb capacity. I could be wrong but I did not see a height difference restrictions in the installation instructions.

Perhaps this tow bar would work in your situation also. I am sure a call to Blue Ox would confirm this.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #3

My motorhome receiver is rated at 7,500, and the Blue Ox tow bars I purchased (Alpha) are rated at 6,500. Blue Ox answered my email immediately, and understood what I was up against, and they said that their BX88129 would definitely work for me.

I ordered one tonight, so I'm find out Monday how the fit goes.

I didn't need the 10,000# rating that the Roadmaster hitch extender offered, but the price was approximately the same, so I gave it a try. It was a fine looking unit, but as noted, the gusset prevented my using it in the upward position.

Thanks for your response!

Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #4

Seems like a viable option for me too. Let me know the outcome.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
Seems like a viable option for me too. Let me know the outcome.
Will do.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #6

I had to use one on my 2014 3170ds to line up w/jeep wrangler..I will ck brand on mine and let you know,it is adjustable up and down..towed about 25000 miles with it on 2 diff mh,,,
sonny bransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #7

Thanks sonny
Old 03-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #8

My Blue Ox one is scheduled to arrive this afternoon, and I'll share my results once I try it. Thanks for your info, too, Sonny, as perhaps that's the way I'll need to go.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #9

In spite of assurances from Blue Ox that their latest hitch extension would work, and that they fully understood my bumper clearance issue, their hitch extender arrived minutes ago, and WILL NOT WORK.

I just contacted their customer service department again, in writing. The distance between the back side of my bumper and the face of the motorhome's receiver is 5.5". The receiver shaft on the BX88129 hitch extender is approximately 3" too short to work; center of pin hole receiver, to center of pin hole extender.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #10

Oh no. I can only imagine your disappointment. I find it hard to believe you are the only one with this issues. I am sure you sent pictures in your correspondence.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Oh no. I can only imagine your disappointment. I find it hard to believe you are the only one with this issues. I am sure you sent pictures in your correspondence.
Yes, and very clear ones, too. I just got off the phone with Blue Ox customer service representative Melissa, and in her words: "There's nothing we can do."

I'm absolutely appalled that a firm the size and reputation of Blue Ox has left me hanging -- unbelievable!

Old 03-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #12

Here are the two photos I sent to Blue Ox:

In the one photo, it clearly shows that the extender is in contact with my bumper, and in the second one -- with the extender still in contact with my bumper -- the extender's pin hole doesn't ever go inside the motorhome's receiver opening. If the distance between the extender's pin hole and their offset box was three inch's greater, all would be well.

Her response when I asked what I am to do with the tow bars, cover, other accessories, and hundreds of dollars of labor that are invested? "Find someone else who makes a longer extender!"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Contact with Bumper.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	101936

Name:	Hole Distance.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	101937

Old 03-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #13

Question About Hitch Extensions: Need Help!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Y3...hitch+extender

Looks longer?

No idea if doubling up adapters...
But this one into yours ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K0...hitch+extender

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #14

What a BS answer. That answer probably would have me speechless, but doesn't it make you want you to tell to Ole Miss Melissa that you would rather find a tow bar, base plate and accessories that doesn't require an extension?

I am not sure which Roadmaster model you tried. I found the Roadmaster 070 provides for 7 1/2 and 12 inch extensions, but I have a suspicion that is the one you already tried.

Other than that, kenny's second link may work. I would be hesitant on the first because of the 4000 lb limit. The pintle hitch may still be an option, but since you already have your current tow bar, that doesn't help much either.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #15

Quote:

Other than that, kenny's second link may work. I would be hesitant on the first because of the 4000 lb limit. The pintle hitch may still be an option, but since you already have your current tow bar, that doesn't help much either.

I saw that. Not sure what he's tugging.
There are options, that's just the first one that came up!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-14-2016, 09:32 PM   #16

Kenny,

Thank you, Kenny, very much! #1 wouldn't work due to the weight of my Durango (4,500, fueled), but #2 sure looks like it would.

Do any of you other folks use such a setup: A straight receiver box extender, mated to a receiver box hi-low offset? My application needs a 4" offset, and perhaps I could use the Blue Ox extension I received this afternoon with this item Kenny suggested.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #17

here are the pics of the one I use
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1019.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	102176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1020.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	102177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1021.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	102178  
sonny bransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #18

Thank you, Sonny, but my tow bars have a 2" X 2"' end that has to go into the receiver box on a horizontal plane, and there's no coupler ball involved. Thanks for the photos, though.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #19
Land of the Midnightsun

Not sure why you don't go to fab shop and let them make you one? You would be on your way in 20 minutes
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #20

Resolved

Issue was resolved with a bit of research on my part. Blue OX offers a 10,000- pound-rated extension, which they never made mention of, and it allows the Blue Ox 4" adapter to clear my bumper (shown in earlier photo) and it works perfectly.

Thanks to all.

Tags
hitch