Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #1

Question for the electrical gifted

I want to install a warning light on the dash (red LED) that will come on if the jacks are down and I turn the key to “on”.

The small panel on the left sideboard does have a tiny amber light for a number of functions including indicating that the jacks are in the down position. It is out of my line of sight and only glows if I turn the jack system panel "on". It just isn't enough if I have forgotten that the jacks are still extended or “down”.

I can wire a red LED to come on when the jacks are down by tapping into the line that lights the amber light on the jack panel. I can put the LED on the dash in a position that is in my line of sight and won't be overlooked.

The problem is that in doing this (above) I suspect the red LED is only going to light up when the panel is turned on, defeating the idea of having a red LED light up in my face as soon as the key is turned to "on" whether the panel is turned on or not.

Where would I wire the light to bypass the on/off function of the jack panel? I want it to come on even if the panel has not been turned on.

Thanks Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #2

If it's a Lippert system you already have an indicator. It's the parking brake on annunciator. You can't deploy the levellers without setting the parking brake and if you disengage the parking brake without retracting the levellers first the coach is coming down regardless if the control panel is on or not (test it). The parking brake annunciator should be a reminder although unlike maybe the crank up antenna my levellers position has never been an issue. JMO.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If it's a Lippert system you already have an indicator. It's the parking brake on annunciator. You can't deploy the levellers without setting the parking brake and if you disengage the parking brake without retracting the levellers first the coach is coming down regardless if the control panel is on or not (test it). The parking brake annunciator should be a reminder although unlike maybe the crank up antenna my levellers position has never been an issue. JMO.
Thanks for the response.

You are correct and I am fully aware of the consequences of attempting to release the brake or put the coach in gear while the jacks are down. I've enjoyed that jarring and noisy experience twice in four years. (grin)

My goal is a warning indicator that is noticeable before I make that mistake a third time.

The light on the panel of the LCI system indicating that the jacks are deployed does not glow (as far as I know) unless you turn the leveling system "on". When I turn it on, it is because I have recognized that I need to retract the jacks so there is no risk of initiating the battle stations alert process.

I'm going for that senior moment when I have forgotten that the jacks are down but then can't miss the bright red light in my face. Hope that makes sense.

The parking brake light is just a parking brake light to me. Since I use the brake all the time, I don't connect it to having the levelers deployed.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #4

I made up a checklist, which is now memorized, where i do a walkaround before moving.

Since there are 4 of us and we share the pack up duties but not all admit to the responsibitilities...I found it necessary.

I check that windows are closed and latched, roof vents are closed tight, all exterior doors are locked, chocks and wood are all stowed, lights work (since it's a TT) chains are on, WD is hooked evenly, that nothing has been left behind at the site, etc, etc.

I make sure the water/elec is unhooked, cabinets closed, things on the beds properly stowed, nothing left on the counters (all too common), fridge is running on propane (that's a new one now).

If any bikes or other stuff is on the rack I check it as well. Sometimes I check air in the tires (always before leaving home), that stab's are up, etc.

Like a pre-flight checklist it becomes second nature.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

If you want to go exotic you could adapt an aircraft landing gear "Squat Switch" on one or more of the rams.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #6

Roll,
The only way I can think you could accomplish this would be to purchase a heavy duty microswitch and mount it on the side of the driver front jack with the jack raised and the microswitch depressed. Wire it to supply a ground when the jack is lowered. Attach the ground wire to the negative side of the red LED and a twelve volt line to the positive side of thee LED. They sell large red LEDs on the internet. When the jack is lowered you will have your light reminder.

1n
Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #7

Quick and easy reminder,

Tap a wire that's hot when the ignition is on.
Run that wire to 1 side of a single pole toggle switch on the dash.
Run a wire from the other side of the toggle switch to a red led next to the switch.
Run a wire from the other side of the led to ground.

Now when you run down the jacks turn on the switch and leave it on.
Now when you start up the RV the red led is on as a reminder.
When you bring up the jacks turn off the switch.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #8

Odds are it's grounded to turn on. To check it, pull the panel, turn the system on and check to see which side of the LED is positive and negative. Then, make the jacks come up until it turns the LED off. Check to see what changed state.

Then mount your LED, connect the appropriate side of that LED to the feed that changes state, then wire in the other side of the LED to either ignition or ground. That way when you key on the LED will light.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
Roll,
The only way I can think you could accomplish this would be to purchase a heavy duty microswitch and mount it on the side of the driver front jack with the jack raised and the microswitch depressed. Wire it to supply a ground when the jack is lowered. Attach the ground wire to the negative side of the red LED and a twelve volt line to the positive side of thee LED. They sell large red LEDs on the internet. When the jack is lowered you will have your light reminder.

1n
I would agree with the above except. Use a lever switch instead of a micro switch. It would be more forgiving re alignment of the jack piston and your switch bracket. Would add a isolation switch to cutout the red LED while camping. The Lippert panel uses microprocessers to discriminate signals from each other. I doubt you can find the jacks down signal if it isn't already displayed. The outside switch goes around all electronic controls without damage.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #10

All good ideas, NOT taping into the leveling system is smart, i think adding a simple toggle switch mounted close to the level system panel turning on/off a large red light mounted where you cannot miss it attached to any hot with key on fuse under dash. So when key is on you have to turn off light and it is next to the panel reminding you to raise the level system. Sometimes simple is better.
BLGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLGC View Post
All good ideas, NOT taping into the leveling system is smart, i think adding a simple toggle switch mounted close to the level system panel turning on/off a large red light mounted where you cannot miss it attached to any hot with key on fuse under dash. So when key is on you have to turn off light and it is next to the panel reminding you to raise the level system. Sometimes simple is better.

If you run it through a flasher the light will blink.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical