Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #1

Questions for Blackjeep22, JJ or others

Blackjeep22 and/or JJ. Others

I have a 2004 Class A 36' ford V10. Looking to downsize and the 2017 Concord 30DS is where I'm leaning. I also have a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited X Jeep and I don't tow it now but with kids grown I may start towing it vs. trailer with ATV's and Motorcycles.

Questions as you both seem to have and tow jeeps.

How well does this set up tow and have you towed in high Altitude. I live in Colorado at 7500 ft and go up from there camping!

Hitch- Ford unit shows 7500 towing and just want to confirm what the hitch says for tongue weight (500#?) 7500# carrying. does 7500 require weight distributing hitch?

Blackjeep I believe you added a steering stabilizer...why were there issues? I read that alignments on these type of RV's sometimes solve wondering issues. JJ any issues on light front end on yours when towing or solo?

On RV. We dry camp and would like to see roof Solar (I believe they now have a outside plug for ground solar...do you have and how does it work). Anyone add roof solar vs. plug in?

Inverter does not seem to be a option...has anyone try to get coachmen to install? Any dealer installed inverter experience on this unit? I want to run TV's, Sat, and maybe a coffee maker and after market scares me a little with wiring etc...

RV ground clearance. We dry camp in the mountains and alot of gravel roads and dispersed sights that can be a little rough. Class A has alot of ground clearance and I'm concerned Concord maybe low particularly with rear overhang and a trailer out back. Any experience? Does the unit have rear Airbags for towing and leveling?

Storage-downsizing concerns about losing all the large pass through storage but....alot of that stuff I probably can do without. What is your experience on storage. I saw a Winnebago 30J that had huge storage in the rear side with also the large rearend trunk that seemed like the hole back end was storage.

BIG Question: I'm looking at alot of units, Super C, A's etc... Some of the newer super C (Dynamax Isata 5 in particular) tout large 10000 # towing but the OCCC on these is very low 1200# or so. On your units (Ford in particular) what does your yellow stick for out the door OCCC rating give you for carrying items in the RV. I'm hoping its around 2000# maybe a little less but....

Thank you for any input.

Gary
gdcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Land of the Midnightsun

Hi Gary

I can answer some of your questions. Your cargo weight is about 2500lbs. Our 2016 300ds unloaded weight is 12,000lbs. And max loaded is 14,500lbs. Your combined weight for towing is 22,000lbs. We tow a 2 door jk and it has lift on it 33inch tires. Winch. Set up for some off-roading but still drives well on Hwy and our combined weight is 18,800 lbs. I like staying away from boundaries but we carry everything we need and are always comfortable from Ice makers to large camp grill we carry in back of jeep. I did install the safe - t - plus. As the stock steering dampener is small and gave me the feeling the front end floated. Safe t steer is little more $$ but it really gave me great handling. The v-10 with all the modern computer fuel injection on it should be fine towing at higher elivation. We haven't towed in mountian regions yet but will and I have a lot of confidence it will be fine. As far as storage? We do fine I know everyone is different but we put thought in how we carry things and really don't struggle with space. I think the jeep is the key also. We carry bikes and take back seat out. Soon to put kayak rack on it. We've had our concord a yr now and we love it. No regrets and has exceeded my expectations
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

(I posted this in another thread, but will put it here for continuity)

Hi Gary!

JJ and BlackJeep are the go to guys for towing. I use a 100 watt portable solar, the eventual game plan is 300 watts on the roof, with the portable solar for backup on shady sites. If all else fails run the generator.

Another member on here has done an inverter install. He put his behind the fireplace. That is where I plan to put mine. I am looking at the possibility of putting in a 2,000 watt inverter/charger unit with automatic generator start. However it may end up being just an inverter.

Can't help on the high altitude either... I live 118' above sea level.

The rear overhand will drag, the departure angle leaves a bit to be desired.

Storage is at a premium. My yellow sticker says I have a total CCC of 2051 which includes occupants.

Yes the hitch is rated to tow 7500#, I do not see a restriction that it has to be a WDH as long as the tongue weight is below 500#. FWIW we plan to tow a 3600# sedan or 4500# pickup.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

Hi Gary,
I thought I had already replied to this, but apparently not.
I noticed that you are planning to tow the 4 door wrangler. I'm not sure how much more that weighs than JJ and my 2 doors. What I can tell you is we recently towed from Portland, Oregon to Tuscon, AZ. We encountered many long steep grades, (6%) and high elevations, (Mt Shasta). We never dropped below 45 mph, and averaged right at 8 mpg. Thankfully gas in AZ is just over $2/gal.
The Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer is worth it's weight in gold, (thanks JJ).
I'm using the Ready Brute Elite tow bar (with built-in braking system) and love it too.
I noticed no decrease in performance when blazing over the mountain passes.
Hope this helps.
Garmin RV 660 MLT
2008 Jeep Sahara
-Blue Ox base plate | Ready Brute Elite
BlackJeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote