Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #61

Congrats on the sofa! Nice to hear that it wasn't a difficult task! I will be replacing ours in a few months, can't wait! Mark, did you hard wire your LED awning lights, or do you plug into an extension cord? I hate the fact of possibly drilling into the coach, but I'm a stickler for hidden wires and having a clean finish....
Old 02-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #62

Kenny here is the LED set I bought. https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...050/2581/5399/

The adapter that comes with it has a long cord so I just plug that into an extension cord. I mounted the small controller to the RV with double sided tape up high. I am pretty picky as well and I have no problem with this setup or how it looks. I didn't want to drill thru the wall if I didn't have to.

One thing I did do that is important is I did NOT use the double sided adhesive that came on the LED strip. I went to Advance Auto and bought some 3M emblem double sided tape which is much stronger.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #63

Okay, you folks interested in the recliners for your Leprechaun, here's the scoop from my wheelhouse.

We received an email yesterday from the supplier that the recliners shipped on the 8th, so I called yesterday (USF Holland) to check on arrival, and they were in. So, this morning my wife and I rented a U-Haul trailer and went to pick them up. I figured a 4' wide by 8' long trailer would easily do it, but settled on a 5' X 8', just in case.

Darn good thing I did! When I saw the shipment on the freight dock I about passed out -- it was a HUGE container! Approximately 7' long, 4' wide, and 4+ feet in height. It was very well packaged, and no sign of shipment damage. We live 80 miles from the terminal (160 round-trip), so got home around noon today.

As intimidating as the size of the shipment was, I was able to drag it from the back of the trailer using muscle power, and onto the concrete floor of my machine shed. The shipment used one large pallet, a bottom cardboard cap, a very large cardboard sleeve, and a top cap, and it was secured with stretch wrap. Opening the top, we were very pleased, since the fabric exactly matches the dinette surround. By the way, the backs come attached, and all three pieces - the two chairs and center section - come sitting that way in the container.

After pulling the sleeve, we realized there were no instruction, and no hardware of any kind. We called Vicki (where we purchased the unit), and she said that's all they ever receive, since Coachman has the other hardware, aside from the four brackets that are included.

Step #1 was to remove the backs, and there's a small release you pull outward on as you lift one side, then repeat on the other. All in all, that was easy enough.

But then came the sides, which had to come off in order to get each seat through the doorway. That, was MUCH trickier. Instead of the two screws on each side piece of the sofa we pulled, there are seven (7) on each side of the recliner. The fore and aft ones are Phillips headed machine screws for the threaded inserts in the sides, while the other five are Phillips head wood screws. Using a long-bladed screwdriver, you can reach through the various parts of the reclining mechanism and get at 3-4 of the wood screws, and then the fun begins. The remaining wood screws and threaded insert screws are completely inaccessible using a standard screwdriver. I used a 1/4" socket drive with an adapter and bit on two of the screws, but on the fore and aft screws, there isn't clearance for that method. Using a Vise Grip and a bit, I very slowly removed the remaining screws.

Once apart, getting all the pieces into the coach was a snap, and reassembling the sides was easier when knowing how NOT to try the process. Regardless, I burned well over an hour or two on the sides, but was being very careful.

As for the four included brackets, I believe I can see how they are to be used, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. At this time, I don't know if the threaded inserts left from the couch installation will be utilized with the recliners.

Concerning the center section, there is no hardware nor any pilot holes in that piece, and it may be held in place by each side. The quality of the unit looks excellent, and there's some serious wood and metal in the unit -- it should perform for many years.

It's been an adventure so far, but worth it to us. I don't plan to contact Coachman regarding additional parts. Assuming I wrap this up tomorrow, I'll get a photo or two and send via this site. Again, my thanks to Mark who came up with the leads.

My total recliner cost was $1400, and that included a $250 crating/freight fee to Des Moines.

Oh yes . . . I believe my Labrador learned a new word to two today!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #64

John,

That's awesome! I should be receiving mine next week. Vicki told me they did package it very well for shipment. I will be transporting them in my Brother in Laws pickup truck from where I am having them delivered so we shouldn't have an issue.

I figured the sides would need to be removed to get it in the door but thanks for the heads up on the screws. So the bottom seats and center console are all one piece right? Just the Sides and seat backs come off.

Looks like I will be joining you with the curse words on the screws very soon!

I am glad you like the quality of them, makes me feel better. Let us know about the mounting to the floor. I am hoping the current holes from the sofa can still be used.

Mark
Old 03-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksha83 View Post
John,

That's awesome! I should be receiving mine next week. Vicki told me they did package it very well for shipment. I will be transporting them in my Brother in Laws pickup truck from where I am having them delivered so we shouldn't have an issue.

I figured the sides would need to be removed to get it in the door but thanks for the heads up on the screws. So the bottom seats and center console are all one piece right? Just the Sides and seat backs come off.

Looks like I will be joining you with the curse words on the screws very soon!

I am glad you like the quality of them, makes me feel better. Let us know about the mounting to the floor. I am hoping the current holes from the sofa can still be used.

Mark
No Mark, the seats and center section aren't one piece -- three separate pieces, but they'll arrive in your container looking like they all are one piece. My chore today will be in trying to figure out how the braces go, now that the seats are reassembled and inside of the coach. Too, I want to see if the bottom rail of the former sofa somehow plays into this arrangement, along with the threaded inserts in the slide floor.

If any of you readers have the recliners, and would be so kind as to extend the foot rests and take a couple of photos of the underside of the seats, specifically the bracing and if the center piece is secured to the seat brackets, that would be greatly appreciated!

There are a number of ways to make it work and still look factory installed, but I'd like to do the same as the factory did. I don't have a Coachman dealer within 300 miles (round trip) of my location, or I'd simply drive there and have a look, nor do I know of any Leprechaun owners in my area.

Thanks to all!

Old 03-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #66

If my effort to add photos worked, here are two. The recliners are sitting in place in #2, and I will attach them to the slide floor tomorrow. The back on the right chair is up on the right side, but only because it's not tapped into place yet.

These are seats very nice quality, as you will learn if/when you try and drill the brackets for attaching to the bottom of the chair. Very good steel is used, and the chairs are very comfortable.

The entire project took several hours, and I suppose I'll burn another two tomorrow, deciding how to secure these to the slide base, but it's been worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chairs in box.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	101667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chairs in Coach.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	101668  

Old 03-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #67

John they look great! What color were yours? Ours are Palance Sable, look darker than yours. Thanks for the updates and let us know how the mounting goes. I have a good contact at Coachmen so I may email him and ask him if the sofa and recliners use the same mount holes on the floor. Look forward to your report tomorrow!
Old 03-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #68

Mark, the build sheet on the unit shows Cognac Interior Color, and Cocoa Ash Woodgrain, and the true color is lighter than the photo suggests. In horses, I would call it a light buckskin.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #69

Mark, I have some very good news, my friend! The coach brackets and threaded inserts and nuts/washers align perfectly with the bottom braces on the recliners!

On the four brackets that came with the recliners, there is only one way they can be attached to the bottom of the chair mechanism, and once you see them, you'll understand how they go. Each bracket has holes punched into their ends, and in several locations. Using the bracket holes as my guide, I drilled through the chair braces and attached each side in two places, using 1/4" threaded bolts (I used a 2" length), lock washers, and 7"16" nuts. It's very intuitive.

When you slide each recliner into place, they go as close to each side as you can get, of course, and on mine, as far as how back they were situated, my upright seat backs are nearly touching the bottom of the window valance. This location allowed the seats to fully recline without interfering with the valance or the back wall of the slide.

Once I had that done, I extended the footrests, and worked mainly by touch to attach the couch brackets. You can see the underside, but feeling for the insert (which will be on the inside of the rail) is really easy. Due to the insert locations, my left chair (facing the unit) has the two sofa braces on the left rail, and the right side recliner, it has two braces on the right rail. There is no bracing on the two inner rails, nor does there need to be: Once tightened down, the chairs DON"T move. They're rock solid.

The center section in put in by lifting it above the two recliners, and lowering it into place. There are cavities on either side of the center section that literally lock it into place between the recliners, and it can't move.

Hope this helps, and have a great weekend!

Old 03-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #70

John,

Awesome news! So the floor mounting brackets from the sofa are different than the recliner brackets? The sofa brackets just clamped over the frame rail and bolted down. No drilling necessary. Is drilling the recliner frame required or you just did it for added mounting strength?

And yeah by the way my interior color scheme is different than yours ours is Sunset something....
Old 03-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #71

Quote:
John,

Awesome news! So the floor mounting brackets from the sofa are different than the recliner brackets? The sofa brackets just clamped over the frame rail and bolted down. No drilling necessary. Is drilling the recliner frame required or you just did it for added mounting strength?

And yeah by the way my interior color scheme is different than yours ours is Sunset something....
Yes, they are different, and yes, the sofa brackets just clamped over the new braces I installed on the recliners. Four new braces will come with your recliners and center section. Yes, I did drill the holes into the existing recliner framework to install the new recliner braces. Can't say with any certainty that what I did was correct, but everything worked perfectly, so I can't be too far off the bubble!

The four braces coming with your recliner have a U-shaped piece at each end (at 90 degree angles), and these already have holes punched into them. I did not, however, see any corresponding holes in the existing framework on the recliners, therefore, I drilled the holes and bolted the new braces in place. There's only one way they can go, so it's all very intuitive.

The sofa brackets fit over the new braces like a hand in a glove -- exact fit -- and the the threaded inserts already in the floor line up with the slots in the sofa brackets. Everything came together perfectly.

Let us know how your installation goes, and maybe you'll discover something I missed with what I did and you'll find an easier way.

If you do drill, you'd better have at least two 1/4" bits on hand, preferably carbide (17/64" will work, too). Williamsburg uses hardened steel in their furniture, and even a new bit will be dulled in no time.

You'll love the change, as you already know!

Old 03-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #72

John,

Thanks so much for the update! If you get a chance is it possible to get a quick picture of one of the four brackets mounted in position? I'm more curious to see it than anything. Sounds like a little time involved but it's worth it!

I should have mine by mid-week or so. Not sure when I will get a chance to install them.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #73

Quote:
John,

Thanks so much for the update! If you get a chance is it possible to get a quick picture of one of the four brackets mounted in position? I'm more curious to see it than anything. Sounds like a little time involved but it's worth it!

I should have mine by mid-week or so. Not sure when I will get a chance to install them.
I'll be happy to, but it may be a couple days before I get you a photo. We're currently traveling, but not by motorhome, darn it!

Old 03-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #74

Mark, the motorhome is back in storage, but here's one photo, albeit not great -- just too dark in there, but you'll get the idea.

You can see the bracket and bolt from the original couch, and that bolt is holding down the bracket that came with the recliners. At the end of that bracket is the U-Shaped weldment, and you can see the head of one of the two bolts I used to mount each side of the bracket to the chair rail.

The second couch bracket and bold are hidden from view, but on the same side. As I stated, I don't know if they is how Coachman intended the new braces to be used, but it works perfectly.

As you will see when they arrive, the two recliners do NOT sit flatly on the floor on their own; the tilt mechanism hangs down, and the new bracket, and the way I added them, allows them to sit dead level. Too, without the new brackets, the footrest would NOT clear the floor -- not the floor of the slide, but the motorhome floor. The new brackets provide the necessary clearance.

Wishing you great success! John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chair Brace.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	101931  

Old 03-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #75

John,

Perfect!! Thanks a lot for the pic! I see exactly what you are talking about now!
So the black chair rail that goes from left to right (in the picture) with the nut on the top is already assembled to recliner base?

Thanks again and I should be getting mine in a few days!
Old 03-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #76

Quote:
John,

Perfect!! Thanks a lot for the pic! I see exactly what you are talking about now!
So the black chair rail that goes from left to right (in the picture) with the nut on the top is already assembled to recliner base?

Thanks again and I should be getting mine in a few days!
Yes, it is.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #77

John,

Got the recliners Friday and had no issues getting them home. They were packaged very well. They are the exact same material as the rest of the RV and match perfectly. I agree these are much more comfortable than the sofa!

Now hopefully this won't piss you off....ha ha....I did NOT have to take the sides off to get them in the door of the RV. Wife and I kind of angled them the right way in the door entry and they went right in with the sides on. The more I thought about you spending time and curse words removing the sides, I couldn't imagine Coachmen would have to remove the sides when they installed them at the factory. It was a tight fit through the door but they went in pretty easy.

Thanks for tips on the mounting brackets and the use of the 1/4" bolts. I drilled the holes as you did and ran to the hardware store for the bolts and nuts. I did put one bolt on the inner brackets just to hold them in place. Everything went into place beautifully and mounting to the slide platform was a piece of cake.

Only thing I did extra was put a couple wood screws into each side of the center console. One on each side. I used the metal bracket on the inner bottom of the recliner frame to the wood on the sides of the console. The console had a tiny bit of side to side play and I didn't like that. Now the whole thing is VERY secure and looks exactly how it came from Coachmen.

Wife is thrilled since this was her idea to swap them out and she loves them. All in all a great addition to the RV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	102346  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #78

They look great, Mark, and glad you were able to avoid removing the sides -- guess I should have tried a bit harder, but now others will know that there's an easier way.

Come on warmer weather!

Old 04-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #79

hello my name is mark I too have a 2014 319ds and today I ordered a duel recliner from rv surplus in Indiana for 1190.00 excluding shipping do I need the hardware brackets or bolts to assemble the 3 pieces I asked Vicki at rv surplus and she said nothing comes with it.will my brackets from my sofa fit , I wouldn't think so . Vickie said 2 men ordered a set of recliners 1 from ohio and iowa I thought maybe they were you
charlestown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #80

Mark,

Yes Badlands and I are the ones that ordered the recliners. Save your brackets from the sofa and reuse them on the recliners. Pretty easy as long as Coachmen didn't change any of the mounting hardware from 2014 to 2016. Badlands and I both have 2016's. I doubt they changed anything with the mounting.

You will have to drill some holes to the brackets they send you. I believe Badlands describes this earlier in this thread.