Old 05-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

Refrigerator vent cover (on the roof)

Now that the Encounter owners will be racking up another season on the road I would be interested in what you see when you climb up on the roof and inspect your refrigerator vent cover.

After two seasons on the road (about 6000 miles) the dark paint on ours began to peal off, a lot.

At the end of last year I pulled it off the coach and attempted to sand it down, planning to repaint it. It is not durable material and it cracked while I worked on it.

I bought another cover, this one with a sharper nose to cut the air, and sanded and painted it.

So mine may have been a fluke, perhaps it wasn't prepped properly; or you will all be pulling off your covers this winter while you look for matching paint.

Just wondering....

Roll

PS the base material is a bright white and against the dark metallic paint that covered it, the peeling paint was quite visible, even from the ground.

2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #2

Mine is white, matches the roof. Only things on my roof that are dark are the AC units, dark brown.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #3

Roll,
Ours is also dark paint. Haven't noticed any peeling yet. I did notice early on last year that the screws holding the cover down were rusting. At the factory roof sealant was applied but did not completely seal the holes. I replaced the screws with stainless. Have been doing a lot of that lately...
LLVanB

2013 Coachmen Encounter 36KS, 2012 Honda CR-V toad, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Brake Buddy Vantage Select, Protect-a-Tow, 5 Star Tune, M4 LED lights, BIRD, ATS, Xantrex PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter and many other accessories & mods.
LLVanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLVanB View Post
Roll,
Ours is also dark paint. Haven't noticed any peeling yet. I did notice early on last year that the screws holding the cover down were rusting. At the factory roof sealant was applied but did not completely seal the holes. I replaced the screws with stainless. Have been doing a lot of that lately...
LLVanB
Yes I see that everywhere; rusting fasteners. I've replaced some but have not made a concentrated effort to find and replace all the fasteners that are starting to corrode.

@1nshort.... I wonder if they decided it wasn't worth the effort to paint them, assuming they had complaints of paint peeling off.

I probably have more junk on the roof than some folks. Everything that comes in dark brown or black is dark brown or black. The skylight over the shower is white as is the plumbing vent pipe. That's all except for the roof which should be white but doesn't show from the street.

The air conditioners, vent covers, fridge cover, solar panel, and sat dish are all brown except for the dish which is gray. I guess the bat wing antenna is white and silver but it doesn't show either unless I have it up.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #5

Took a close look my rooftop refrigerator vent that is white. Apparently the dealer upgraded it as it is the solar powered fan one. While redistributing my items in the basement storage, I found the original one tucked way back in the corner of the top storage behind the water heater. Did not know this storage was there, hard to get to, but available. Oh yeah, there was an order form in the back of the manual for a second fan/solar cell with cabling, I wonder if a second fan would be worth it?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
I found the original one tucked way back in the corner of the top storage behind the water heater. Did not know this storage was there, hard to get to, but available.
Interesting you mention that. It's blocked by a cross member from the number two compartment Drivers side on my coach, but I can get to it from the number three compartment on the drivers side. I keep a tent and extra potable water hose in there.

That's where the dealer installed my inverter. It's fastened to the deck and the business end sticks out slightly at the top of the inside wall of the number three compartment on the passengers side, if that makes any sense. Works fine there, is close to electrical connections in the stair well and stays cool as well.

If you want pics I can get some for you.

Roll