Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #1

Residential Refrigerator Power

Our new Mirada has a Frigidaire residential refrigerator. It is not connected to propane (like our prior RV refer was). We have a 2000 watt inverter and two 6v batteries that are supposed to power it when boondocking. My question is when we are driving, what powers it? And does that power come on automatically, or do we need to do something to get that power to the refer? If we stop for lunch and shop for a couple hours, do we need to do anything? Should the inverter be left on continuously, or just when no other power source is available?
Gatormirada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #2

The fridge runs on 120V power so if you are not plugged into shore power or have your generator running you will need the inverter on. The batteries should take a charge while you are driving and provide enough power to the inverter to keep the fridge going
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
WDW

Look by the entry steps to the left, you will see your inverter control box.

Make sure it on. - when driving you are charging your batteries .

Life is always better under a Palm tree...

2016 Mirada 35BH "Trolley"
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Previous- Jayco Greyhawk 31FK

Western NY
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatormirada View Post
Should the inverter be left on continuously, or just when no other power source is available?
There should be an automatic transfer switch that will switch the fridge over from the inverter to 110 VAC when present. This switchover is virtually instantaneous. As such, once you run the generator or plug in, even if the inverter remains running, the fridge will not be drawing current from the batteries. While the inverter does draw a little current with no load, the converter will be making that up as it charges the batteries. So, if you are going to be hooked up to shore power for a long period you can switch the inverter off. Generally I leave mine on unless I am settled for days.

If I am running the generator to charge the batteries I leave the inverter running.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
WDW

We leave ours on all the time. It cycles the battery charging from flood to float. We've learned on this rig to never shut our master power switch off - even in storage. If you do and have shore power it won't keep the batteries charged. Do ours stays on.

Life is always better under a Palm tree...

2016 Mirada 35BH "Trolley"
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Previous- Jayco Greyhawk 31FK

Western NY
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #6

OK, got it. Thanks for answering and for the good advice.
Gatormirada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, refrigerator