Old 01-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
I'm working at getting to my retirement. At the end of August 2012 I left my route sales work of 36 years. 12-14 hrs/day was killing me but I wasn't to stop working yet. So I started to drive school bus 2 hours twice a day since my wife was still working full time. The wife is done working now because of an disabling injury at work. Now I'm ready to calling it quits with an exception of call in busing. The new plan now is to pack up the 5er and head to Arizona. A dream finally coming together after a lifetime of waiting.

Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 40 nites
elind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #12
I retired from my engineering job at Boeing a few weeks short of my 58th birthday. I was tired of the excessive overseas travel required and couldn't get management's attention to switch me to a job without the travel. The last 12 months before I bagged it, I'd been out of the country for 29 weeks, and none of the trips were longer than 10 days. Unfortunately they were mainly to the Islamic world (Bahrain, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Brunei). I had over 600,000 frequent flier miles on maybe 12 different airlines.

After a couple of years getting my breath back and moving about 70 miles north of Boeing, I decided to try a completely different job and hired on with our county transit agency as a fixed-route coach driver. The change of job worked the change of attitude and I was able to retire for keeps after about 2 years with the buses.

I've now been "properly" retired for about 9 years. Unfortunately, we've had to come to the conclusion that we really can't afford the RV lifestyle and we sold our Georgetown 325 in early December. We hadn't used it at all in 2014 and had only done 6000 miles in the previous three years since we bought it.

Since the town where we live is a significant tourist destination, I guess we can be thankful to live somewhere that people pay good money to visit!

Incidentally, DDC, we're ex-pats too, from England (Leyland, Lancs.). We emigrated in 1968 to join Boeing.

Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:24 AM   #13
I retired after 37 years at UPS at age 55, the wife works in the school district so we do travel all summer long. I work seasonally at both Amazon & UPS just thru the Christmas rush, gets me out of the house & funds our summer adventure, the rest of the time is spent catching up on the projects at home and trust me if I get bored the wife FINDS things to keep me busy!!!!!!!!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #14
I retired Oct 2010 at the age of 55 and haven't looked back. We take two long trips, a month or so a year, and many small one. "Sometimes my wife will ask me what am I going to do today and I tell her nothing, she tells me I did that yesterday. I just tell her I didn't finish".
Enjoy your golden years and the fruit of your labor, life is short.
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #15
I retired at 56 years old. It's going on 13 years now. I miss the job I did for 35 years to this day. I also miss the people I worked with. The day I retired about 500 pounds seemed to lift off my back due to the position I held and the people I was responsible for. I've often said to my wife of 45 years that it seems as tho' it never happened. Now we babysit two of our grand children full time(our choice). When we go camping we will take our youngest grand child, as the other one is in school, and his perents will join us for their long weekend. Our long weekends are at the least 10 days long. No sense packing up for a measly 4 days weekend . We do manage to take almost 3 month trips out west to see the rest of our family every other summer. We dry camp in the Rockies with our other two kids and their families for a few weeks and then move up to where they live and mainly reconnected with our other grand children. We've been very lucky to be able to do what we do and health wise we've been kind of lucky there as well, although we do have those aches and pains that people seem to get when they reach the so called "Golden Years". I found that you have to be mentally prepared to retire and hopefully be prepared monetarily as well. I found when I first retired, I read a lot. I filled up cardboard boxes with books that I read. Gave them away and then filled up more. I am able to read pretty fast and can read a fair sized book in a day...if I have nothing else to do. Early in my career I worked a part time job as well as my full time job because the wages I made in my full time job weren't a whole lot but I loved that job from the first day until the last. Later on as wages got better I didn't work part time any more. We started camping when our youngest was out of diapers. That was almost 37 years ago. Our three children have gotten trailers of their own and they camp as well. We all dry camp a lot. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Good luck to all and stay safe.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #16
I've been retired for 8 years. There is nothing about working that I miss. Absolutely nothing. I was born to do this..If I had known it was going to be this good I would have never worked.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #17
Thanks for the insight. I'm retiring Oct 1 of this year. I been working from home for the past 7 years due to state budget cuts so you might say I've been practicing retirement. My job requires on-call and a fair amount of in-state travel. I'm ready. We sold our Class A and we're replacing it with a 300x12 XLR and a Silverado 2500 diesel. Can't wait.
twiggw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #18
We retired in 1995, went full-timing and haven't looked back. Would not change a thing. We are now in an RV CO-OP west of San Antonio and RV about 6 months/year. If you are getting bored get a good hobby. I remembered how much fun I had making plastic model planes as a kid so I have taken it up again. After I get too many I give them to local kids. There are lots of volunteer positions that are fulfilling. There is no record of someone saying on their deathbed, "I wish I had worked longer!" Good luck.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #19
Hi folks. Got to put my 2 cents in. Lol . in sept 2012, I came down with both forms of pneumonia and almost died because of this. This ended a 40 year career that I loved and lost. After 7 weeks in the hospital (9)days in a coma, I was released to go home. What I didn't know was this " bug "had all but destroyed my lungs and my career.

Retirement was not in my mind at all until now. I know how every day is the same . if my wife didn't tell me what day it was I wouldn't know . I could still drive, so she talked me into buying a motorhome. I haven't looked back. Ya'll can read into what I am trying to convey. Retirement ain't so bad.
Richard & midget
Lexington sc
Jack our camping dog
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #20
Interesting thread...

I retired in June 2014 after a long career on the railroad as a Locomotive Engineer... Huge adjustment at first going from working around the clock over birthdays, holidays including Christmas to zero hours...

I get to sleep in my own bed every night now without the phone ringing at 01:00 AM. I can make appointments without the fear of not making them because I had to work. Being on call had its disadvantages!

The wife is still working so to keep busy I took on a part time job as a school bus driver... I forgot how much I liked kids plus the presents they gave me at Christmas really made my year!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ CCLB DRW D/A - Transfer flow 40 gallon Toolbox/Tank Combo - Line X - Edge Insight

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote