Old 01-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #21
DH and I had the same conversation last weekend. He will be 65 in May, and always wanted to retire before he was too old to enjoy life. I'm not yet 60, and just registered for my last semester of classes to become a network administrator.
Although we haven't made concrete plans, we both know that I will work until I am 66 or until something happens health-wise. We are both interested in turning our hobbies into a small business, and even trying to figure out how we could do that and get out in the RV more often. Our first goal is to sell my house as soon as it regains enough value to not wipe out our retirement savings. After that, two military retirements and a little Social Security should give us the freedom of choice.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #22
Originally Posted by richard rv View Post
if my wife didn't tell me what day it was I wouldn't know .
Every day is Saturday now!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ CCLB DRW D/A - Transfer flow 40 gallon Toolbox/Tank Combo - Line X - Edge Insight

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #23
I'm surprised to read so many of you retired before 60 as I did.
Sold a business that was very successful and very stressful.
DW is on SSI disability so we have both not been working for 4 years this month.
We start thinking that we never do anything now, then remember that we have been to maybe 20 different states in the RV, with a lot of closer camping also. And we went to Thailand as well as Hawaii in those 4 years.

Working is just a fond memory.
2014 Berkshire 390RB-60
dan-nickie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #24
I've been retired since 2010 and while I don't miss the work, I do miss the relationships with co-workers. The challenge, I think, is to retire from work but not from life. For us, that means volunteer work, planning & doing household projects, attending to family, and many camping trips. Life is good.
"But, oh that magic feeling, nowhere to go." -- The Beatles

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #25
Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Great timing on this one, I'm sitting at my daughters pool at her house in Scottsdale and still trying to get a handle on this retirement stuff. I started 9 businesses in the last 15 years and over time closed them down with t,he last, one happening in August of 2013. While that was quite an accomplishment, obviously I am a highly motivated guy and somewhat creative as well.
So...the end. But now I'm retired and the midnight dreams are anything but. Having been self driven for most of my life, I have problems not driving. Not the car...the career. Most nights are spent dreaming about not working for a living...and how am I going to support the family? (We r very comfortable financially but I can't convince my dream mechanism) plus (the kids are all educated with wonderful careers and their is only my wife and I) so these dreams are all unreal.
When I am awake...retirement is fantastic. Every day is like a Saturday when I was working. But you are all right...where does the time go.
Now we have just made the decision to really complicate the situation, since the housing market in Illinois is so bad...we have decided to rent out our permanent residence for two years and "Fulltime It".
The saving grace is the iPad. I read the Chicago Tribune daily, too many news apps and investment articles and dont have enough time. Thank goodness I love to drive, love to see new places and we both love our TT. So be looking out for a grey Tundra towing a white w decals Rockwood 8329 with Illinois plates. If you see us...please wave.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #26
Retired in july 2009 and have never looked back,wonder how I fit work into my day. I have a young family, with a 6-14-20-22 year old kids. They all keep me busy with after school sports, or summer time camps. Sometimes we even get to use the suseeker to go to out of town games. School vacations are where the next camping trip will be. What park can we go to with the best rides. memories are made everyday keep on camping
oldnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #27
Really enjoyed the input from all the retirees! Last winter we decided to go fulltime RVing WHEN we get the house sold (want to leave those headaches of maintenance/expense behind)...also have 7 furry rescues to find homes for...but we have our TT & diesel in a year we hope to hit the road..I will be 64 & he will be 62...of course I am in great shape from keeping up this right now no physical issues..both still working, but at enjoyable jobs & not our original career jobs.
Luckybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #28
Fascinating discussion. Retired five years ago now. It never gets old. sometimes I feel like I am busier than I want to be. That is why I bought the trailer - to regularly disappear and enjoy something close to the motor home I always wanted, while I still can. There is a saying " too late smart, too soon old.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #29
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I've been retired for 8 years. There is nothing about working that I miss. Absolutely nothing. I was born to do this..If I had known it was going to be this good I would have never worked.
I was going to write the same thing. I love every day and lack for nothing except good knees.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
Originally Posted by RubyDually View Post
Interesting thread...

I retired in June 2014 after a long career on the railroad as a Locomotive Engineer... Huge adjustment at first going from working around the clock over birthdays, holidays including Christmas to zero hours...

I get to sleep in my own bed every night now without the phone ringing at 01:00 AM. I can make appointments without the fear of not making them because I had to work. Being on call had its disadvantages!

The wife is still working so to keep busy I took on a part time job as a school bus driver... I forgot how much I liked kids plus the presents they gave me at Christmas really made my year!

Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 40 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote