Old 01-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #31
yeah... best reply yet.

I could take early retirement now. We have our RV rig set up the way we want it after 25 years of various RVing styles. Most of my life-friends at work have retired or are have passed on... :P I'm going to hang on for a few more years to pad my pension. I appreciate all of your responses. Many of us baby boomers wonder,worry, and stress about pulling the pin. You guys make it easier to make the decision. Life does not stop at retirement. It just becomes more fluid. I'm looking forward to relaxing, or working on something new that has nothing to do with my life-career (paid or volunteer). Life is shorter and more precious as we grow older. Don't waste it.

camiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #32
Sold a business about 2 years ago at age 70 with the intention of retiring. Took some long trips, volunteered at the church and Civil Air Patrol, but then then life got really boring. I missed the interaction with customers and helping solving their problems. Went back to work for the business I sold. I can take off when I want, pick the jobs I don't want to do and don't have the problems of ownership. Doctor says staying busy physically and mentally is the best way to stay healthy, and that's what I am doing. I really enjoy my work.

Terry and Carol
Daytona Beach, FL
2013 F150 XLT, SuperCab, Ecoboost
2010 Rockwood 8285WS
Nights camped:
2014 - 57; 2015 - 91; 2016 - 171
Blaster 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #33
reply to retirement

I l ike retirement too im in so texas for 6 mo & work alittle in that time then back to il til tits time to teturn to tx its should be warmer here but the last 2 winters have been cold hope ing to to be more normal the rest ove the season enjoy whatever you are doing
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #34
Just Dreamin
I really like all the posts, unfortunately I am still 3 1/2 years away from retirement. My wife and I have a 2008 Berkshire and we have been enjoying it as much as we can. We both have jobs where we deal with people on a daily basis. We are apartment superintendents and I work as a lab tech at a university. We are looking at retirement as a time to just be together without all the annoying people around. We are hoping to meet a lot of people that enjoy rving and just relaxing. I really hope we can relax and just be.
dreamin533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #35
Originally Posted by southernsky View Post
"Sometimes my wife will ask me what am I going to do today and I tell her nothing, she tells me I did that yesterday. I just tell her I didn't finish".
Enjoy your golden years and the fruit of your labor, life is short.

LOL Great! Love that exchange.

What a great read these posts have been for me, (I read every single post). I see many people have the same kinds of thoughts and face the same issues. Some elemental truths about retirement surface in many of the posts. Keeping busy is key but of course, then there are times when I just want to chill. And so I do.

I am surprised at the number of people retiring in their 50's. I retired at 63 and will be 65 this March. I do worry about time and how fast it goes, but that is also a side effect of keeping busy and keeping busy is important.

Gary (OP)
Gary, Cindy, Reacher (Maine Coon), and Vivian (in spirit only now).
Retired: July 31st, 2013 and loving it.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #36
Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
I feel a bit cheated in that I retired 1 1/2 years ago at 70 and sometimes feel guilty that I'm not still working...then I read about all you folks in your 50's and 60's that have retired and few if any feel guilty.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #37
I am still many years from retirement. But I can definitely say that once I leave the workforce, I am gone for good. I will have no desire to work again. After 50+ years of working, I will be enjoying a well deserved retirement. I plan on enjoying the golden years.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #38
Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Southernsky, another one that works well is when my wife asks what I'm doing...I tell her I'm thinking. Then when she comes back and says"still thinking" I tell her "yes...I'm a deep thinker"
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #39
I was forced out of the workplace 7 years ago. Got a great severance package and health benefits for life. Two years ago got a summer job as a deck hand on the local tour boat. Work 3 to 4 days a week. Get to meet great people from all around the world. Am now working on getting my captains certificate. Stay at a CG all summer and travel to a warmer climate for the winter.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #40
Been retired 2 years now and I am one of rhe one's don't know how I ever had time to go to work. Do miss the guys I worked with but not bad enough to visit the place. Grand kids and camping and making knifes and other things and helping other poeple through our church take all the time I have. Do not miss getting up at 5:00 am to go to work or getting called to work at all. Just Happy Happy Happy!!

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Diesel
2014 Rockwood 2608WS
Big Paul is online now   Reply With Quote