Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstrahan View Post
Mark, retirement is what you make of it. Wife and I are real estate appraisers,but getting out of it due to the legal BS, slicing of fees in half, etc. Now I am writing a book of my own, have access to an editor and agent, working with him to get it published. Doing a second with the wife (she is also a professional photographer) where it will be a combination of writing and photographs.

If you vegetate, you will end up looking at 4 walls and wondering what happened

We were exhausted, trying to keep the appraisal business going in light of current regs. We looked at each other, sold the home in Dallas, moved to Florida, bought our current MH (4th RV). We have more energy and go than we had in Dallas, enjoying life more. Always something to do here that doesn't cost much or anything. Have a beach and boat ramp one mile from the house. 3 hours from Lauderdale/Miami so day trips to the Atlantic coast is quite doable. 3 1/2 hours by jet ferry to Key West.

What is not to like about retirement.
Thanks, after looking at all the other posts was beginning to wonder if I was doing the right thing. I have my own wood shop that I have done things in the past but it's been on hold for the last couple of years. I was planning on starting out with some Adirondack Chairs then making what people ask for as they get to know me. When I get time I want to travel some, been kind of locked in close to home for the last 25 yrs.

Thanks again for the positive note.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #62
Roger and Paula

You do Adorondack chairs. You might make,them, paint them with tropical scenes, parrots, mountains, etc and sell at flea markets. Good demand for,the painted ones.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #63

yes, I was hurt on the job and had to retire early, aug. 2012, was never my intent to retire, loved my job as a electrician of 36 years, now still fighting with workers comp, having to go to see the doctor every month which limits my time away from home, my retirement sucks, I cant do the things I once could do, now I have to hire things done that I could do myself, and of coarse a retired guy cant afford to hire everything done, so some things don't get done, being very mechanical, I could do most everything myself, so it really not a great thing for me, the only thing that is good is that I got to see my youngest grand children grow up close and personal these past three or so years , they and the other eight are my only joy in the whole ordeal, and my great DW who helps me so much, she has been a wonderful helper to me these past long years,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
The other side of retirement is what I ended up with. At 55 I medically retired from a job that I loved. Good pay and my own boss. Well it wasn't our plan but we decided to sell the house and took our MH out full time. Chronic pain keeps me from doing all the fun things I planned on when retiring but we make the best out of a bad situation. I never dreamed I would be like this at 57. Not complaining but wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #64

An enjoyable retirement is all predicated on the ability to stay healthy. Once your health goes, there is not too much joy in it. It is just the luck of the draw.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #65
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
How much can you sell those chairs for?
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #66

yep, stay healthy my friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
An enjoyable retirement is all predicated on the ability to stay healthy. Once your health goes, there is not too much joy in it. It is just the luck of the draw.
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #67

I worked for a large forest products company for 35 years with 28 of them at a lumber and plywood facility. The facility was closed in November, 2006. I stayed on 18 months as Environmental Manager while we demolished the facility then I grabbed the early retirement package at the ripe old age of 57 in mid 2008. I’ve been retired ever since. My wife teaches Kindergarten in the local school district. She will retire in 2 more years.

I'm 64 in 2 months and retirement has me busy with volunteer work, visiting family (NY, NJ, NC, MT, TX, MS), fishing trips, cross country RV trips. I've been the main cook for years so that hasn't changed. I've picked up other household chores. I exercise more (30 lbs. lighter than the day I retried), eat heather, tend a Spring and Summer garden in the back yard, sleep better, read more, cultivate friendships and a host of other things I could never do while working.

When people ask me what I do to keep busy I usually respond with: "Anything I want." I don’t miss work at all, not one bit.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
After looking at this I am kind of wondering if retirement is as all it's cracked up to be, I can retire in April and am looking forward to it. I have been in law enforcement for 25 yrs now and seen too many nasty people over the years and need to get out. I love my time off and going with our trailer and have several hobbies plus an old house to keep me busy. Thought about volunteering for the VA and trying to get some positive things to look at. My wife and I are looking forward to doing some traveling and seeing something other than here. We have been locked into this area because of my job and limited time off, seems that all I do is work get up at 6am come home at midnight 2 to 3 days a week. I'm hoping that it really doesn't get as routine or monotonous as some have said. I really wish every day was a new day and the only routine was getting up in the morning.
I already posted our views on retirement, but wanted to comment on your post. First, thank you for your service in law enforcement! It is a tough career and with everything happening in our country, it seems it's getting tougher with every passing day! We don't find retirement routine or monotonous at all. There are so many things to do and see. And as you mentioned volunteering is always an option, too. Every day is a new day, and even though getting up in the morning may seem routine ... it isn't ... because it's a brand new day! Best wishes in your retirement!!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #69

Right now having a short repair on my right arm and hate being unable to do things but getting the feeling of not working. After last year it's hard not going in to work, worked so much (700 hrs f overtime) which means a lot of days I went to work in the dark and came home in the dark. So far my wife is happy we haven't seen much of each other this year.

Tags
tire