Old 04-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #11

I just wanted to post an update on this old thread since this valve in my fiver just malfunctioned and almost created a huge problem for us.

When I hooked up the black tank rinse and turned the water on, water sprayed out of the top of this valve and soaked the linen cabinet in which it was located. The hole that was cut in the floor to run the water line for this valve is directly above our furnace so water drained directly on to our furnace cabinet. Long story short, we thought the module board in the furnace was fried but found that it appears to be working properly after drying out for a couple of days. I've ordered the brass replacement valve that Roll mentioned in the initial post of this thread.

I strongly advise all forum members to check the location of this valve in the rig and consider replacing it with the brass model. We dodged a bullet this time, hoping the brass valve eliminates this problem forever.

Thanks Roll for posting this info and the link to the brass valve.

Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #12

Thanks Slide and FYI I've no problem whatsoever since installing the brass valve.

Roll

2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #13

my rinse connector was filling my fresh tank, dealer took care of it

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
my rinse connector was filling my fresh tank, dealer took care of it
I would think they (Took care of it)? No way the (Black Tank Rinser) (Could or Should) be connected to (Fresh Water)! Youroo!!
Old 04-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I would think they (Took care of it)? No way the (Black Tank Rinser) (Could or Should) be connected to (Fresh Water)! Youroo!!
It has to do with the pressure relief valve that is the subject of this thread. I'm still not clear how there is any connection but if the relief valve fails you are likely to get water in or under a cabinet and in your fresh water tank. I think there is a common atmospheric pressure rising line. Bizarre I know.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
It has to do with the pressure relief valve that is the subject of this thread. I'm still not clear how there is any connection but if the relief valve fails you are likely to get water in or under a cabinet and in your fresh water tank. I think there is a common atmospheric pressure rising line. Bizarre I know.
This is the valve we are talking about it has (NO) relation to (Fresh Water Tank)! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2200.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	50520  
Old 04-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #17

This valve is really a anti siphon device required by Plumbing code. If shore pressure would fail the valve will allow air in the bonnet and prevent the tank side from reversing flow into the public water system. Most all outside faucets and sinks have a similar device fitted for the last 50 years or so. Key word here is they are required by Public Health rules.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #18

You are right. It was not the fresh water tank it was the grey water tank.

The valve had failed but I didn't know it at the time. As I attempted to use the rinse fitting, the grey water tank started to slowly fill with water. At first I though the rinse fitting was incorrectly installed in the grey water tank. Water was also coming out from under the kitchen sink in addition to the grey tank oddity.

A little experimentation and we discovered that the water was spraying out from the B & B pressure valve. They are prone to failure I found out later and are no longer handled by many RV suppliers. The brass is a more durable and dependable valve and is what I used to replace the broken B & B atmospheric valve.

I posted about this in the forums. I consulted with the dealer who didn't deny that, though it was rare to install the rinse fitting on the wrong tank, it had happened a few times over the years. I made an appointment to have the matter checked by the dealer. Never made it to the dealer. Somene suggested I replace the valve and after I did I tested the rinse fitting again. No more water going into the grey tank, now the black tank began to fill as it should when the rinse is running.

My mistake regarding the fresh water tank but the grey tank is correct and then must have some connection through the lines running up to the valve.

Roll
Old 07-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #19

A couple days ago, I flushed our black water tank like I've done many times before. This time was different since I had water streaming out from under the bathroom sink, everything was soaked but luckily no damage since we caught it in time. I never realized that there was a vacuum breaker valve on the black tank flush lines, but I sure know now. Once I located the problem, I managed to cut the tie wrap that held it in place under the sink, unscrewed it from the lines, and got my wife to pull the water lines down through the floor and into the storage area below, I then temporarily reconnected it and attached it to a plumbing pipe. In my opinion, putting it under the sink is the stupidest place to mount such a fitting, and I refuse to have another flood or take a chance on water damage. I plan to bypass the valve entirely, and will use an external backflow preventer.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank