Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #1

Roof seem Leak, Water Damage

2012 Coachmen Mirada 31se

Water came in through the front roof seem causing damage to a board next to the TV. The press board material expanded, called coachmen and they told me over 1 year out of warranty. Gave me a part number and a dealer to call to order a replacement. They wanted $24.99 for the piece of pressboard (8 inches x 14 inches , 3/4 inch thick) and another $20 to ship. I figure the part could cost no more than $1 to manufacture.
The coach is only 15 months old.
I think I will be off to the dealer to look for a different brand coach. Coachman is not the kind of service for me..........
Ekw4156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #2

Do you check your rooftop caulking regularly?
Seems like you can buy a piece of pressed wood at Lowes and have them cut to size a lot cheaper.
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #3

Also, when you talked with Coachmen, did you ask for the Class A Warranty & Service Manager? If not, might be worth another phone call.
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #4

I would be more upset about the leak than the $45 they want for the board...

Not sure that taking the hit on a trade-in would be worth it over $45. I get your point on the cost of the board, but I work in a business where we make / sell OEM parts and aftermarket replacements. We normally sell 100+ in a shipment. When somebody needs one piece of something for a repair, it gets expensive. You have the cost of the time inolved to take an order - look up / verify you have the right part, create the paperwork to make it if its not in stock, have somebody get it, pack it, do the paperwork to ship it, process the payment and take the hit for the credit card fee.

On these jobs the cost of the part is far less than all the other costs that go into getting it out the door. Can't count how many times I had to listen to somebody who is unhappy with a minimum order charge and its for some little item that we aren't going to make any money on and really don't want to deal with. Having been on both ends of these deals - I don't think anybody is real happy, but unless it's something you can make/repair/buy used, there isn't really much anybody can do.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #5

leak was at the seem, checked it three months ago and it was fine, 15 months and the factory caulking went bad??? Already repaired the leak. Tough to match the Maple Cognac paper they put over the pressboard. they are made at the coachmen factory, they would not even send me a piece so I could cut my own to
match. Dealer wanted $545 (estimate) to take apart and repair. 18 screws.....
Ekw4156 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof, water