Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #1

Rookie Question

For the first time ever, we will be taking our 50 amp RV to a park that only has 30 amp service. I understand that this means using only 1 A/C unit, but what other information do I need to know? Also, I could run the generator to power both A/Cs, but do I need to do anything to the shoreline to do that? Thanks for the advice.

2014 Sportscoach Cross Country 405FK
2015 GMC Acadia
afd51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #2

I'm assuming you have a built in, so not especially. Your transfer switch will automatically flip to gen power when it comes on. You DO want to have loads turned off when you make the switch though, and again when you flip back to shore power.

If you're the better safe than sorry type, you might go unplug before you turn your genset over.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #3

Make sure you have a 50 amp to 30 amp cord adapter, otherwise you aren't going to be able to plug into the power pedestal.
nicholsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd51 View Post
For the first time ever, we will be taking our 50 amp RV to a park that only has 30 amp service. I understand that this means using only 1 A/C unit, but what other information do I need to know? Also, I could run the generator to power both A/Cs, but do I need to do anything to the shoreline to do that? Thanks for the advice.
True, you only run one A/C due to load. Like someone else said...make sure and pick up a 50 to 30 amp dog bone (adapter) You can run your generator to power both A/C's but since you will be in an RV park they have quiet time, generally from 10pm to 7 or 8am....that may eliminate generator usage.....check with the park. If it is a comfortable climate, run your forward A/C during the day and rear A/C at night....just close the midship door and seal off the area. You will/should be able to run everything else no issue.....check your power monitor on occasion and make sure your not pulling to much load for 30 amps.
Hope this helps, have great trip

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Some parks prohibit generator use all the time. Power management is the name of the game. I have the progressive industries PMS. It combines surge protection with line protection and gives me a readout of voltage, amps and frequency. There is a table posted in this forum that gives you basic wattage use for all of your systems. You can cypher what your demand is from that. The good news is that if you use to much power on the park 30amp, all you will do is pop the pedestal breaker, unless it doesn't have one!

Here is a link to a basic chart:
http://fltailgators.com/resources/RV...onsumption.pdf
Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #6

You can actually run both A/C's on 30A as long as nothing else is on. You most likely have one 15K and one 13.5K which will draw a combined ~26ish amps, depending upon voltage level. If we camp at a 30A site in the summer we'll run both to get it cooled down and then cycle the 2nd during the hot parts of the day if needed.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have seen a 20 amp and 30 amp to 50 amp cheater. Use the T receptacles 20 amp to power the other leg. I am pretty sure you can get buy using 20 amps on a 13.5 kbtu AC. According to code the power pedestal should have separate breakers sized for the 20 amp receptacle and 30 amp receptacle.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I have seen a 20 amp and 30 amp to 50 amp cheater. Use the T receptacles 20 amp to power the other leg. I am pretty sure you can get buy using 20 amps on a 13.5 kbtu AC. According to code the power pedestal should have separate breakers sized for the 20 amp receptacle and 30 amp receptacle.
Yeah. I bought one of those with that in mind, but it won't work. It can't be used on a GFCI circuit without tripping it, and every single 20A outlet I've seen has had either a GFCI circuit breaker or outlet installed. Most often it is a GFCI breaker. I guess one could carry a 20A breaker of the few most common types and do a quick swap if staying for an extended period.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #9

Thank you all for the advice. I suspected that the transfer switch would handle this, but wanted to be sure. I do have the 50 to 30 dogbone, but have not read positive things about the 30 + 20 cheater. I bought the progressive PMS system and will get it installed before our next trip.

2014 Sportscoach Cross Country 405FK
2015 GMC Acadia
afd51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #10

One other thing I have ran into is if you are running the AC you cannot run the microwave without tripping the 30 Amp breaker.

2015 Siera 377FLIK
2014 Ford F350 KR
Maggie the new Chihuahua
Cricket the Chihuahua RIP
Steve & Jojo
stevewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewise View Post
One other thing I have ran into is if you are running the AC you cannot run the microwave without tripping the 30 Amp breaker.
You can run the microwave and 1 A/C at the same time as long as other high load items like the fridge and/or water heater aren't on. MW and A/C will pull somewhere around 22-26 amps together, typically. If you have standard light bulbs and are running a lot of lights, it is possible to go over 30A as well. Not a big concern with LED's.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #12

We have never had a 50A trailer & can run 1 AC with everything else...... But when & where are you camping..... If it is now or soon you may not need two ACs anyway.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We have never had a 50A trailer & can run 1 AC with everything else...... But when & where are you camping..... If it is now or soon you may not need two ACs anyway.....

That's funny. When we are on 30A I have to watch my wife like a hawk to keep her from tripping the breaker. When you've got 1 A/C going and then try to throw a mix of microwave/coffee maker/crock pot/hair straightener/hair dryer/etc. it tends to go over 30A real quick. We have issues in colder weather, too, when trying to run electric heat. True about the 2 A/C's not being needed. Middle of May in TX and it's in the 60's. Still weather!!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #14

Oh wait, it's been raining for like 60 days straight so a campfire is out.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewise View Post
Agreed. I have to turn off the AC to run the microwave and then when the food is done, I turn the AC back on. Hairdryers are another no-no when you are on 30 amp unless you turn off everything else.

I don't believe you will have any success running both ACs on 30 amp service or at least I never did. Also be careful, you don't want to try running both your both ACs at the risk doing damage to one or both of the compressors from low amperage. If the ACs seem to shut down and restart continually, you may have a low amperage condition. Shut one off and see if that clears up the frequent restarts.

As for the cheater cords... it depends on the phasing of the circuits. 50 amp uses two phases; 30 and 20 amp, one phase. if the post is wired with both the 30 and 20 amp using the same phase I don't think it will work. If they have used different phases for the 30 and 20 you might have some success with the cheater cord. The caveat is that if the post only has a 30 and 20 they are probably both running off the same phase.

Maybe one of the electrical engineers on the board can confirm or clarify.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #16

When I am running on 30 amps yes on one a/c, microwave, 2 small refrigs, and the trailer frig. No on the electric for the water heater and the wife's hair dryer and curling iron...lol

Tags
roo