Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #1

Satellite wiring

Trying to get my Wineguard T4 Satellite to work with Direct tv. It’s never been used before, it turns on and finds the Satellite but no feed. Tested the coax cable and it doesn’t go to the Satellite dish it goes to the other bedroom. Where would I find the wires. I see where they go in on the roof but after that ? Any assistance is appreciated 2018 Sportscoach 407fw
Icq102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
What about the dealer PDI? They should have covered this, I would just drive over and check it out with themQ
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
What about the dealer PDI? They should have covered this, I would just drive over and check it out with themQ

Interesting when I was looking through the coach prior to PDI, I noticed there was no switch for the dish. The dealer couldn’t find the switch, so they added one. I brought my box with me and it didn’t work, the dealer just said I had the wrong receiver. Called wineguard got a swm 8 from them. The receiver sees the swm but not the Satellite. Checked the dim switches they are set for direct tv. I believe the issue is with the coaxial cable coming in from the dish.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would purchase something like this.

https://www.amazon.ca/Southwire-Tool...gateway&sr=8-1

Then trace all the cables out. I would agree the cable is likely the issue.

I have found Coax connectors loose all over any trailer I have owned including cable connectors that are joined together in the underbelly.

I would run a separate piece of cable from the dish to the receiver and see if it works that way.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #5

I used a similar tester when I checked my satellite wiring at PDI. It checked good. But when I hooked up an actual Dish tailgater to it, it connected and the tailgater spun around but could not find all the satellites.
For a while, I ran a cable through the window to get satellite.
I eventually found the two coax (cable and satellite) in a wiring harness beneath the trailer and cut one of the coax's and put a connector on it. I now connect my tailgater to a barrel on this new connector and all is well. Get Dish TV and don't have to go through my window to do it.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I would purchase something like this.

https://www.amazon.ca/Southwire-Tool...gateway&sr=8-1

Then trace all the cables out. I would agree the cable is likely the issue.

I have found Coax connectors loose all over any trailer I have owned including cable connectors that are joined together in the underbelly.

I would run a separate piece of cable from the dish to the receiver and see if it works that way.
Perfect, I will try that, my last coach I couldn't get the cable from the park to ever work turns out after tracing everything they had the cable from the park going into the incorrect end of a splitter. But that splitter was difficult to find.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icq102 View Post
Trying to get my Wineguard T4 Satellite to work with Direct tv. It’s never been used before, it turns on and finds the Satellite but no feed. Tested the coax cable and it doesn’t go to the Satellite dish it goes to the other bedroom. Where would I find the wires. I see where they go in on the roof but after that ? Any assistance is appreciated 2018 Sportscoach 407fw
Okay, I had a problem with my unit. I called Coachmen, there typical satilight prep is a 1 coax wire to the roof only, that coax should be stubbed out next to your TV antenna wall plate, next to that coax is another that go's from that location to your TV.. this area would be where you would locate your box. The coax is ran in a channel in the ceiling along the edge of the roof, I was told this is there standard prep, really not much. I don't know your RV, I own a Concord but had the same problem as you when I was looking into it.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:20 AM   #8

Traced the wires, the one the dealer said was the Satellite tv cable was not. It was the direct connection to the bedroom tv for secondary sat box. Both Satellite leads were buried behind the main wiring panel front right of coach. Pulled them out and through the access port, one had a end on it one did not. Added an end and tested to roof. Bingo!

Tags
lite, satellite, wiring