Old 03-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
Question Six Volt Battery Hold Down Clamps

I just replaced the tiny Interstate 12 V house battery with two 6 V Crown batteries. I'm looking for two hold down clamps for 7" wide batteries. They must go across the narrow diameter of the battery. I could probably fabricate something but I'd like them to clamp the sides of the battery, not tighten against the vent and filler caps. Like the first picture shows I need two clamps, left to right on each, sort of like the second picture but about an inch or so wider.

I'm sure I could use my vice and a handheld sledge to beat a piece of metal to fit, but if I can find a few brackets that fit for a nominal sum, 10$,$20,$30 whatever....I'd do that first. The 3/8" threaded hold down rod and associated nuts and washers are no big deal. Too much mass in the event of an accident. I need/want something solid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03041.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	71906   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03042.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	71907  

2013 Mirada 29SE, I earned it!
Hugh R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
Former Full Timer
Just a thought... How about using Eye Bolts (ss) and properly sized heavy rubber bungees to stabilize the batts. Shifting can be put in check with hard foam blocks. I doubt this approach would do well in a rollover but at that point the coach is headed for the junkyard anyway.

The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Thanks, I think I'll stop by Home depot and see if I can find a piece of Aluminum or steel that I can beat into shape with my vice and hand-held sledge.
2013 Mirada 29SE, I earned it!
Hugh R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Suggest nylon/poly webbing & buckle. easier to work with and just as effective.
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote