Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #1

Slide Problems

Anyone experience slide out problems? Today I was bringing my living room slide in and noticed the right side wasn't moving at first. I went back out and tried it again. Same thing. A little crunching sound and finally it came in with great difficulty. Only problem is the bottom right is still out about 1". The other three corners are tight in. I'm hesitant to try it again because we're about to head home which is 1500 miles. I'd rather get home and to the dealer if there is something serious. I'm not sure how the slides are constructed but it almost seems like the slide slipped off a roller or something. It's like the whole "box" is off center.
richardelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #2

EEEK! not good.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #3

imo..
If it is like mine. the outside screws at the lower bottom that holds the frame in have worked out a little and allowing the that edge to kick out to the outside and the slide is bottoming out on the inside and causing drag as it is coming in The gears is grinding because of the out of alignment stress being put on it. When taking the slide out, there is not the same type of stress being put on the wall assembly. To help get the slide in more easily and to have a better alignment, have someone on the outside gently push the slide in at that area and the all side/corners should be snug to the seals. Look at the screws on the outside beside the slide where the framing is. do any of them look 'backed out'? The weight of the slide is 'stripping' the screws through the metal. More and larger screws will need to be installed. Have your dealer or an RV shop look it over and give advice on repair.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:24 AM   #4

Looking at this video, it looks like you have the Scwhintek system. Probably one of the bottom gear mechanism is stripped or damage. Here some videos that might help...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...cwhintek+slide
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #5

Thanks all for the comments. I think my best bet is to leave it closed as it is and head home. If I try to do something I'm afraid I may not get it closed again. I'll report on what I learn once the dealer has a chance to look at it.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #6

agreed, I had a similar issue if you indeed have a Lippert slide (see saga of the slide below) and had to have major surgery at the shop to fix. Fortunately, it can be fixed, and the slide works great now, they are just very close tolerance to work right. (again Lippert, other brands, your mileage will vary in tolerances and such)
scotttkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttkd View Post
agreed, I had a similar issue if you indeed have a Lippert slide (see saga of the slide below) and had to have major surgery at the shop to fix. Fortunately, it can be fixed, and the slide works great now, they are just very close tolerance to work right. (again Lippert, other brands, your mileage will vary in tolerances and such)
Here is link "saga"

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...de-111159.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #8

Thanks fonzie. This is most helpful. Fortunetaly my dealer is great. I just called him with a heads up I'm coming home and what the problem is. He apologized for my trouble and promised to get right on it. I will report what happens later. Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:51 AM   #9
Land of the Midnightsun

It is normal for bottom right corner to stick out 1 inch. Our bedroom slide pulled to one side a little so I lubed track and seals and it's fine now. Not saying this is what you need but should be done every 3 months or so but your large slide corner is normal
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:02 AM   #10
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
It is normal for bottom right corner to stick out 1 inch. Our bedroom slide pulled to one side a little so I lubed track and seals and it's fine now. Not saying this is what you need but should be done every 3 months or so but your large slide corner is normal
My large slide is the same.

Bedroom slide is noisy, need to get in there and get it lubed.

And mama wants an electrical outlet on HER side of the bed...

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:04 AM   #11
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
My large slide is the same.

Bedroom slide is noisy, need to get in there and get it lubed.

And mama wants an electrical outlet on HER side of the bed...

Aaron
There is one. Look on side of bed towards floor. Lol
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #12

Yup, I have one too. As far as the slide corner being open I mean I can slide my fingers between the coach and gasket. Can't be right. We got home last night after two days and 1500 miles. All ok. I have to say this Concord is a pleasure to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #13

About the electrical outlet,,salesman said there is not one under booth,,there is !!!!

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #14
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
There is one. Look on side of bed towards floor. Lol
That's MY side... she wants one on HER side. Not a big deal, just feed off the plug on my side and put one somewhere close to that corner.

Aaron

Old 08-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #15

No, there is one on both sides on our unit.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #16
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That's MY side... she wants one on HER side. Not a big deal, just feed off the plug on my side and put one somewhere close to that corner.

Aaron
Get on your hands and knees it's there. We are at big horn resort. They not kidden really nice place they have open bar from noon till u plant ur face in ground. Didn't plant. Thankful for our bikes. Kerrville tx.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:21 AM   #17
World Wide Wanderer

Found the plug... even my wife missed it and she is usually very good at finding things (especially if I am involved )

I like the sound of that Big Horn resort...

Aaron

Old 09-15-2016, 07:29 AM   #18

Here is an update on my slide problem. Remember when I was on the road and the big slide didn't come in right? I could slide my hand in the bottom front corner between the coach and gasket? Turns out that gear slipped a couple notches. I talked to the mechanic and learned they had to remove the gear/motor, push it in and re-install. Normally that would straighten out with a repeated in/out a couple times but not when a top or bottom gets out of whack. One motor drives the top and bottom gear on a shaft. So, good thing I didn't try to use it while on the road or damage would have resulted.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-16-2016, 02:27 AM   #19

Yeah I just got mine back from the shop. They had to work on all 3 of my slides. Said that the manufacturer didn't cut the opening with enough clearance which caused one of them to be in a bind, on the second one I was told the motors were not installed properly and then the final one got off track, they had reset it to proper track the last time I had it in when they worked on all 3 a couple months ago but on our way home from a trip this slide got off track again so I had to take it back in about a month ago. After a month of waiting they finally got coachmen to authorize the dealer to install a roller on this slide because it was too heavy which was causing it to get off track. So I'm hoping this time it is fixed.
Dlj_75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide