Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #1

Something that I would like to fix: rear panel

For those with the solid rear panel, like in the 37TZ.

For other models, (units with a rear window), this would not apply or at least I don't think it will.

I followed my wife home from a local campground during our "sort out the problems" phase the first year. She was learning to drive the coach so I drove the jeep behind and coached her via a walkie-talkie, (if you don't have a set put them on your list, invaluable when finding and setting up on a new site). She did quite well by the way which was somewhat of a surprise. (Nice wide turns.)

What I noticed is that as the coach moved over uneven pavement, the rear fiberglass panel tended to flex and since it has a high reflective quality, it was quite noticeable. It didn't look solid or stable and though I have no concerns about damage or failure, I did think it looked a bit tacky as it flexed in and out all the way down the road.

So, solutions?

I considered trying to pump some spray insulation up into the cavity but I don't know how I would get the foam in there so high up from the opening at the bottom. I also considered drilling a small number of strategically located holes, shooting insulation into them and them using some type of predetermined rubber plugs to fill the holes.

The entire cavity won't need to be filled just a few areas where I can shoot enough foam in to make contact with the inside wall to deaden the vibration/flexing. I'm talking about the foam that comes out in a stream like whip cream and then drys into a lightweight firm (but not hard) material for insulation purposes.

Ideas anyone?

Try the "follow your coach" method for a few miles if you don't know what I am talking about.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
For those with the solid rear panel, like in the 37TZ.

For other models, (units with a rear window), this would not apply or at least I don't think it will.

I followed my wife home from a local campground during our "sort out the problems" phase the first year. She was learning to drive the coach so I drove the jeep behind and coached her via a walkie-talkie, (if you don't have a set put them on your list, invaluable when finding and setting up on a new site). She did quite well by the way which was somewhat of a surprise. (Nice wide turns.)

What I noticed is that as the coach moved over uneven pavement, the rear fiberglass panel tended to flex and since it has a high reflective quality, it was quite noticeable. It didn't look solid or stable and though I have no concerns about damage or failure, I did think it looked a bit tacky as it flexed in and out all the way down the road.

So, solutions?

I considered trying to pump some spray insulation up into the cavity but I don't know how I would get the foam in there so high up from the opening at the bottom. I also considered drilling a small number of strategically located holes, shooting insulation into them and them using some type of predetermined rubber plugs to fill the holes.

The entire cavity won't need to be filled just a few areas where I can shoot enough foam in to make contact with the inside wall to deaden the vibration/flexing. I'm talking about the foam that comes out in a stream like whip cream and then drys into a lightweight firm (but not hard) material for insulation purposes.

Ideas anyone?

Try the "follow your coach" method for a few miles if you don't know what I am talking about.

Roll
Roll,
I would talk with Coachmen about that. The flex might be engineered in to absorb stress so you don't get stress fractures where the cap joins the main frame. This is much like a submarine frame having a flexible rib structure like a whale, as you go deeper the hull compresses and absorbs the stress so the hull welds do not break. If they were too rigid the welds would crack then catastrophe. That being said, you would want a non expanding foam, latex would be best. It firms up but remains flexible. MOST IMPORTANT IS NON EXPANDING.
I will have the DW drive the toad videoing the MH using a dashmount so I can analyze for that. DW does not want to drive MH unless it is on Interstate, straight away (no curves), no Semi-trucks, no hills...you get the idea. More later......
Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Mario Andretti was once quoted as saying...............

Watza behinda me..............shezza no matter!

How many times do you plan on following your own rig? Like someone said, maybe the flexing is design intent.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Mario Andretti was once quoted as saying...............

Watza behinda me..............shezza no matter!

How many times do you plan on following your own rig? Like someone said, maybe the flexing is design intent.

That was a line from the original Cannonball Run film. It was an Italian driver that said it as he ripped the rear view mirror off the windshield of the convertible Ferrari he was driving and threw it over his head onto the road behind him.

It's a personality issue. Now that I know the rear panel looks like a sail in the wind I have to do something about it. It does look a bit tacky and I have yet to see another coach with its rear panel flexing as the coach drives down the road. Coachmen should have had some bracing in there to support that huge fiberglass panel, it needs some support structure in my opinion.

I might contact Coachmen and see what they say.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

Smile walky & talky

We use our cell phones and bluetooth ear thingys. We also have two of the limited range multi channel radios, but you have to hold them, (push to talk).