Old 08-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Speaking of Coachmen Freelander 28QB mods.

Hi All,

Being a retired Manufacturing Engineer, I just can't leave things as they were designed. I've just GOT to modify... You should see my Classic Cars.

We bought our 2014 Chevy 4500 chassis 28QB back in May and I thought I'd share a couple of things that I have changed.

1) Before we even took the RV out, I removed the INNER portion of the skylight over the shower and painted it black. The paint is situated between the inner skylight and the outer skylight. Now, even if we get stuck parking under a bright light in an RV park, our bedroom is DARK!

2) I re-routed the under-the-bed drain valve for the water tank from being under the bed to a petcock on the outside of the RV. The new outside valve is located on the lower skirt, aft of the rear wheel. Now I can easily drain the water tank before refilling it.

3) I removed the mirror over the bathroom sink. The original mirror was about 2/3 of the width of the wall, but was NOT centered on the wall. The new ($50) mirror goes from sidewall to sidewall over the sink and counter.

4) I moved the mirror that was removed from the bathroom and installed it on the wall between the corner shower and the window. Now, I can get myself ready to go while Sherry is using the mirror in the bathroom.

5) I bought a small, round, spring loaded, laundry chute door and installed it on the front of the cabinet on the wider side of the bed. Now, we just pop the dirty laundry through the door and it falls into a laundry basket in the "basement". We also store all of the laundry supplies (soap, dryer sheets, etc.) IN one end of the basket so when we need to go to the laundromat, we just grab the basket and were off.

6) When we got our coach, the light switch nearest the door (by the master power switch) was wired to turn on/off the inside ceiling light and the switch farthest from the door turned on/off the light outside, over the door. I reversed those so that now the switch closest to the door turns on/off the outside light and the inner switch turns on/off the inside light.

That's all for now, but I'm just getting started. Planned additions/changes are LOUD, high pressure, air horns and new heavy duty front shocks in an attempt to reduce the front end porpoising on wavy roads.

Please let me know if you'd like any more information about or pictures of my mods.

See ya on the road...

Tim

Old 08-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #2

Wow, that's quite a list! All great ideas too!

Most of what we've done has just been cosmetic stuff (except for installing a freaking regular light switch in the bathroom, LOL!!!)

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
Hi All,

Being a retired Manufacturing Engineer, I just can't leave things as they were designed. I've just GOT to modify... You should see my Classic Cars.

We bought our 2014 Chevy 4500 chassis 28QB back in May and I thought I'd share a couple of things that I have changed.

1) Before we even took the RV out, I removed the INNER portion of the skylight over the shower and painted it black. The paint is situated between the inner skylight and the outer skylight. Now, even if we get stuck parking under a bright light in an RV park, our bedroom is DARK!

2) I re-routed the under-the-bed drain valve for the water tank from being under the bed to a petcock on the outside of the RV. The new outside valve is located on the lower skirt, aft of the rear wheel. Now I can easily drain the water tank before refilling it.

3) I removed the mirror over the bathroom sink. The original mirror was about 2/3 of the width of the wall, but was NOT centered on the wall. The new ($50) mirror goes from sidewall to sidewall over the sink and counter.

4) I moved the mirror that was removed from the bathroom and installed it on the wall between the corner shower and the window. Now, I can get myself ready to go while Sherry is using the mirror in the bathroom.

5) I bought a small, round, spring loaded, laundry chute door and installed it on the front of the cabinet on the wider side of the bed. Now, we just pop the dirty laundry through the door and it falls into a laundry basket in the "basement". We also store all of the laundry supplies (soap, dryer sheets, etc.) IN one end of the basket so when we need to go to the laundromat, we just grab the basket and were off.

6) When we got our coach, the light switch nearest the door (by the master power switch) was wired to turn on/off the inside ceiling light and the switch farthest from the door turned on/off the light outside, over the door. I reversed those so that now the switch closest to the door turns on/off the outside light and the inner switch turns on/off the inside light.

That's all for now, but I'm just getting started. Planned additions/changes are LOUD, high pressure, air horns and new heavy duty front shocks in an attempt to reduce the front end porpoising on wavy roads.

Please let me know if you'd like any more information about or pictures of my mods.

See ya on the road...

Tim
Thanks for the ideas. We have the same RV but a 2013 28QB on a 2012 Chev 4500.
I definitely will extend the drain to the side.
I am glad to say that the door switches were already installed in the logical positions.
I also appreciate the heads up on the street light shower issue. I think I am going to try 2x reflective insulation insert Velcroed to the inside so we can remove it if we want the light. I am also going to cut the same for all the vents and windows to help keep it cool.
Paul

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

Hey Paul, If you'd like it, send me a PM with your Email address and I'll send you a picture of my plumbing and a link to the through-the-wall drain petcock that I used.

Tim
Old 08-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #5

We have the same model. Picked it up in June. It is hot down here in Texas so I put those square pillow vent cover inserts and tinted all of the window with some kind of tint that is suppose block infrared heat from the sun. If you have a picture of that laundry shoot I would be interested in this mod.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:36 AM   #6

Laundry Mod

I have just purchased a 2014 Coachman Freelander 28QB and found your post about the mods you made. I bought this model because it has that bathroom door that can isolate the cat. your post gave me the idea of putting in a cat door on the face of that seat where you put in the laundry door. In the basement there is a box that resembles the seat. Does the laundry go into the box or does it go through the back wall of the box and into the basement? I want to set up a litter box and it would be great if I just had to put an opening in the back of the box to get the litter box out.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyl123 View Post
I have just purchased a 2014 Coachman Freelander 28QB and found your post about the mods you made.
Hey Marty,

We too travel with a cat. Space is probably too tight to do what you are suggesting.

If you will contact me at tim@themorans.org, I will send you several pictures of what will be involved in doing what you are suggesting.

Tim

Tags
coachmen