Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #1

Sportscoach

Anyone on this forum own a Sportscoach diesel pusher? We are seriously considering upgrading to a DP. I would like to know build quality for this coach. The cummings engine and freightliner chassis are a given, but would like to know about the rest. Our Pursuit is entry level and quality suffers.
Blue OX
cberlanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cberlanga View Post
Anyone on this forum own a Sportscoach diesel pusher? We are seriously considering upgrading to a DP. I would like to know build quality for this coach. The cummings engine and freightliner chassis are a given, but would like to know about the rest. Our Pursuit is entry level and quality suffers.
FROG Bob might still have His Sportscoach DP? Contact him! Youroo!!
Old 05-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #3

We own a 2017 Sportscoach FW 407 love everything about. We have had a few problems when we first got it and in the shop now trying to fix a switch that is suppose to cut on a ceiling fan and also putting a porch light on that we wanted. It did not come with one. As for as service Forest River has been great. The biggest problem is finding other Sportcoach owners. As for as the power the only mountain I been in is going to Fayetteville Arkansas from Shreveport which are not big mountain but I would say more than hills. I came Thur Mena ark and came up I-49 to Fayetteville I had no problems at all I maintain a speed of 65 and in 5th gear and we got around 10mpg pulling a traverse and we have 5000 miles I have been told the mileage should get a little better. But really I’m happy with 10 Mpg and I think the coach weighs around 30000 lbs. this is my second class A I would for sure buy another one .Also it is well in insulated. This past Dec we were in 15deg temp water tank did not freeze and we ran the fireplace plus two ceramic (small) and it kept the inside around 70 to 75 Des we never turned on two gas units. Hope this helps
Micman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #4

I can answer more questions after mid July we are going to be in it for around 45 days Grand Canyon,Yellowstone and then Black Mountains then back to Shreveport La.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #5

We have the 360 hp engine lol I keep thinking of things
Old 05-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #6

Thanx for sharing Micman. Good travels with your Sportscoach.
Blue OX
cberlanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #7

We have a 2017 Sportscoach FW407 (the bunkhouse model).
We had one issue regarding a leak of the gray-water pipe (broke) and water flowing into the basement. Was fixed by dealer under warranty.
One minor annoying thing is that there is no lighting for the entrance. The handle is not the LED kind and there is no porch light. I noticed what appears to be a small led light set under the steps that does not light up from any switch I can find. It looks likes a purple wire is broken. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said they don't know anything about a step light underneath. I reckon someday when I have the time, I will attempt to trace that purple wire to a power source and figure where it might connect to the small light bank attached to the underside of the step.
mmcbride56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcbride56 View Post
We have a 2017 Sportscoach FW407 (the bunkhouse model).
We had one issue regarding a leak of the gray-water pipe (broke) and water flowing into the basement. Was fixed by dealer under warranty.
One minor annoying thing is that there is no lighting for the entrance. The handle is not the LED kind and there is no porch light. I noticed what appears to be a small led light set under the steps that does not light up from any switch I can find. It looks likes a purple wire is broken. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said they don't know anything about a step light underneath. I reckon someday when I have the time, I will attempt to trace that purple wire to a power source and figure where it might connect to the small light bank attached to the underside of the step.

I have the same Sport Coach as you I had a lighted handle put on mine picking it up today from shop also
we also have a light under steps and it is connected to the switch for the steps to come out and stay out or to stay in when you close the door. When I get back home with it I will let you know how it works. Also another thing you need to watch when you run the gas heat the vent close to the TV blows on the wood and this wood gets very hot also with this heat blowing the way it does it will not allow your fireplace to heat up because that heat blows on the fireplace thermostat. Also the plug for your engine heater is behind the panel under the back sink my electric plug had to be moved so you can plug this in so you can have heat on your motor on cold days which is a great place to put a heater when camping because this plug has it’s on breaker.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micman View Post
...we also have a light under steps and it is connected to the switch for the steps to come out and stay out or to stay in when you close the door. When I get back home with it I will let you know how it works.
Thanks so much for the info your provided. I am really curious what you might find in terms of wires connected to the light under your step. If you could share a picture or two would be super helpful.

Have not had to use the heater much as have only stayed in warm climates so far, but good to know none the less!.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	172369
Light under steps red and black wire
Old 05-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #11

Name:	IMG_0523.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	172370 red and black connected to wires going to control block. Red wire from light goes to black wire going to control block. Black wire from light connected to green wire going to control block
Old 05-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #12

This block is under RV at the steps but is above steps in a compartment you will see it once you get under. To get this light to come on you have to have the switch set where the steps come out when you open the doorClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0524.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	172372
Old 05-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #13

Also some pictures of heater vent I was talking aboutClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	172374Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0527.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	172375Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	172376Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	172377
Old 05-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #14

Hope this helps you
Old 05-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info your provided. I am really curious what you might find in terms of wires connected to the light under your step. If you could share a picture or two would be super helpful.

Have not had to use the heater much as have only stayed in warm climates so far, but good to know none the less!.

Thanks

Hope these pictures help you
Old 05-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #16

Quote:
This block is under RV at the steps but is above steps in a compartment you will see it once you get under. To get this light to come on you have to have the switch set where the steps come out when you open the doorAttachment 172372
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Haven't been to the storage lot until just today.

So, all that is the same as mine. What I am looking at specifically is the purple wire that leaves that block. In your picture it looks like it is going inside the black wire harness with the four other wires (white, red, brown, yellow). In my case, as you can see in my pictures, the purple wire does not enter the black shroud, instead it follows along side it. The four wires reach a connector block, and it is here that I believe the purple wire has become disconnected. It seems to have "pulled" out of one of the four sockets.
If you could tell me which color wire (brown, white, red, yellow) your purple wire is socketed with, then I can re-attach mine and see if that fixes my light?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Step Light 002.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	172645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step Light 014.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	172646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step Light 022.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	172647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step Light 025.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	172648  
Old 05-21-2018, 07:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Haven't been to the storage lot until just today.

So, all that is the same as mine. What I am looking at specifically is the purple wire that leaves that block. In your picture it looks like it is going inside the black wire harness with the four other wires (white, red, brown, yellow). In my case, as you can see in my pictures, the purple wire does not enter the black shroud, instead it follows along side it. The four wires reach a connector block, and it is here that I believe the purple wire has become disconnected. It seems to have "pulled" out of one of the four sockets.

If you could tell me which color wire (brown, white, red, yellow) your purple wire is socketed with, then I can re-attach mine and see if that fixes my light?

Ok what pictures I’m sending you is not what you want to hereClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0542.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	172745Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0541.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	172746Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	172747
Old 05-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #18

Lol I know this isn’t what you wanted to hear, if you want anything else let me know and I will try to help you
Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Lol I know this isn’t what you wanted to hear, if you want anything else let me know and I will try to help you

My purple wire has been cut off but everything works
Old 05-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #20

Quote:
My purple wire has been cut off but everything works
Ok, I see that in your last picture. In that case, the purple wire has no effect on the operation of the light. Yours is just cut shorter than mine. Mine looks like it just pulled out of the connector switch.

So, at this point, I am just going to have to figure out why the LED light is not getting power when the step is extended. I'm not an electrician, but I do have a multi-meter. Will just have to start tracing wires and figuring out where the power comes from. Obviously it is not the purple wire that I had originally suspected.

It looks like that wire junction block sits below the step motor. How did you get such a clear picture of it?

Tags
sport