Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

Steering Issue-Revisited

So apparently my new 2016 Coachmen Freelander 27QB comes standard with a rear sway bar and front steering stabilizer, as someone else mentioned on their 2017 (mine's in storage and I can't easily go look). Coachmen confirmed this and also said the units have front end alignments done before they are sent to the dealers. The above units are Ford products installed by Ford on the 350 chassis. I still felt like there was some wandering needing regular correction as well as blow by from trucks. As a newbie to RVing, should I just expect this? Many of you have said you experienced vast improvements when adding a steering stabilizer. Are the aftermarket products better than the stock Ford products?
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #2

Years ago with my Class C I also had issues with the steering wandering. Here was my solution. First get the unit weighed at a truck stop when the unit is loaded for a trip. Search the Internet for the load/inflation chart for the size tires you have on front. This will show you what your tire pressure should be for the weight on your front axel. I'm my case I was able to lower the air pressure by 15#'s and still be in the safe zone for the tires. No more wandering, a better ride and a more comfortable RV driving experience.
Good luck.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

Mine doesn't wander too bad...

However the steering isn't as tight as I would like. I am planning on having the front end aligned to the FR specs, not Ford specs. They are similar but different!

Then probably add Bilstein shocks and a Safe-T-Plus.

I question whether FR really does a front end alignment after the camper is built on the chassis. If Ford does one when it comes off the assembly line (likely), it will be out of whack by the time they add several thousand pounds to it.

Supposedly if you buy a brand new unit and the front end is out of alignment you can file with FR to have it paid for under warranty. I haven't bothered to check into that.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

Steering issue revisit

The dealer told me that one of the first things you want to do is have the front end aligned. The cab chassis is aligned by Ford at the end of assembly. The cab chassis goes to FR and the coach is installed. The dealer said to load as if you would travel to do the alignment. Not everyone loads theirs the same. Some travel with the fwt full, others fill at the cg. I roll with the tanks full. Makes little diff. in mpg and makes for a nicer ride. The front end alignment did improve the handling though.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
Chief tinkerer

Ours are built on a chassis that is built, not knowing whether they will be used for an ambulance, delivery box truck or small bus. When a big truck whizzes by pushing that huge wall of wind, the back of the camper shifts laterally on the leaf springs and just as you counter steer, it shifts back, causing another counter steer. In addition to the lateral shift there is a rotation where the top rolls away from the wall of wind. A rear trac bar helps tame these, as well as a heavier rear and front sway bar. A steering stabilizer helps tighten up the steering and gives a margin of safety should you ever blow a front tire or wander off the edge of the pavement on a narrow road. Many many people drive these all over the place and never make these improvements. They just adjust their driving style. If you have the time and or means to do these handling mods however, you will not be as worn out after a day of highway driving, IMHO.
Gary

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:53 AM   #6

Gidyupgo,

Ford actually does know what will be built on the E350 or E450 chassis. They are sold with a Motorhome Prep package. They used to have a brochure promoting the package for E series and for F53's for Class A's.

In my opinion, there's no excuse for the chassis to not have the suspension modifications needed for better handling from the factory.

You can download your "window sticker" by entering your chassis VIN in a Ford website. It's something like Ford Fleet. I'm not at home and can't look it up for you.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Chief tinkerer

Thanks Rambler. I agree. I guess I was leaning more towards the trainloads of frames, suspension, etc which, with the exception of weight ratings don't appear to change according to the package.

Prep Package includes:
• High-Series Exterior Upgrade Package – front chrome bumper, chrome grille and dual, sealed-beam, fixed-lens headlamps
• Power windows and door locks
• Manual pedestals (seats not included)
• Cruise control
• Front Max GAWR (E-450 only)
• Frame pucks
• Class I Trailer Tow Prep Package

Deletes:
• Vinyl floor covering
• Front headliner
• Front dome lamp

For those that are curious.

Gary