Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

Surprising discovery on the Encounter

I installed two sets of LED lights under the hood of the engine compartment on the Encounter. I am now installing the docking lights I've threatened to hang on the sides of the coach for 2 years.

All six sets of LEDs will come on when I activate the switch on the left arm rest that I installed for that purpose, (two sets in the engine compartment and one set each at the wheel openings on either side of the coach.

While I was working under the hood on the lights I happened to look up while I had my head inside the hood opening. To my amazement I realized I was looking at the under side of the dash. You can see the defrost vents clearly and other than the two defrost vents, there is nothing else up there.

This struck me because I have invested hours in covering the inside of the engine hatch and surrounding engine bay with "Hushmat" in an attempt to mitigate engine noise which is excessive when the transmission shifts to lower gears going up grades.

So now I discover that the entire front of the engine bay including the intake and fan are more or less directly under the large expanse of dash board. The dash is a thin plastic and fiberglass structure (with a coat of leatherette) and is the only thing between us in the cabin and the source of all that racket (the V-10).

Here is another way to consider this. If you remove the passenger defrost vent and lean over the dash and look into the hole, you will see pavement.

I removed the hood panel to open up access a little and will proceed to cover the underside of the dash with Hushmat since I have enough left to do the job. I am thinking this might really make a difference in the racket that big Triton motor makes but who knows. If nothing else, it might mean the A/Cs will not need to work quite so hard to keep us cool when summer gets here, if it ever does.

I have struggled to overlook many of the mistakes Coachmen made when they put my coach together; and I have fixed, or had fixed, everything to date. But this floors me. For some reason I thought that the interior of the coach was insulated or sealed in some fashion.

In a car the dash is completely inside the cabin, (every car I've ever had anyway).

The motorhome is not a car, I know.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

I'm afraid to look at mine what being the low end A in the coachmen line.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #3

It never ceases to amaze me at the cut corners that we keep finding as well.

I realized what I got when I got it, just didn't know the extent of all the things I didn't know I needed to look at BEFORE I got it, LOL!

I just use this all to justify the next rig purchase in a few years.
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

X2, X2, X2. Looked up from engine compartment.......yep, it's the underside of the dash! Well, I'll have to figure something out. I'm contemplating blowing some foam and then Hushmat. I have been lazy, just starting to de-winterize. Need to get out and camp (motivation needed), hopefully it will get warmer, have had too many nights in the 50's. Still have a couple of projects in the MH to finish.
1n
Old 06-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

OK, I was under the front end installing a pair of Hellwigs so I looked up...
x3 and I wish I didn't. The good news was that the hoses were properly connected!
So Pursuit can now be added to the list of cut corners.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #6
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

I only have a TT, but when you pay this much for a rig like you guys have there should be a higher standard. Sounds like a great place for bugs. I hope you find a workable solution that doesn't require too much elbow grease.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #7

A retired coach service manager (ga traveler) sent me a message regarding steps to isolate the exposed dash. I'm sharing his experience and suggestions should you find it helpful.

ga Traveler said:

"you will have outside air coming in and screwing up the heat and air. Also the possibility of water damage. You need to close this area. My best results with noise control on the F53 was to install sound deadner on the tower. That is the metal stand that is attached to the frame that holds the steering wheel and brake and gas pedal. You already did the doghouse, which is a good idea. Do as much of the firewall as you can. Summit sells a spray can sound deadner. Spraying the wheel well with this helps also. Spraying any metal or hard surface will stop sound transmissiion. Of course DO NOT spray the engine or transmission as this will hold heat in. Cover as much of the dash and front area as you can."

I think the spray insulation is an interesting idea since Hushmat can be hard to install in some areas. Also the defroster hoses are completely exposed and seem to be made of some fragile material. I plan to wrap them in Styrofoam sleeves which you can get at Lowes and are not expensive. I used the same material (in a small size) to cover my water pump lines which were banging against the wet bay walls when the pump ran.

Another idea might be to call Coachmen (Jon) and ask what they are doing now and what they recommend we do. Since I seem to be the only one complaining about noise I wonder if they have made some change(s) that mitigated the high rpm noise in the later model coaches.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I plan to wrap them in Styrofoam sleeves which you can get at Lowes and are not expensive. I used the same material (in a small size) to cover my water pump lines which were banging against the wet bay walls when the pump ran.
Gary
AWESOME IDEA! Another project to add to my list!
Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Roll that's a great idea. Now I have to research the spray products for this application. I would not want to put flammable products in that area.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Roll that's a great idea. Now I have to research the spray products for this application. I would not want to put flammable products in that area.
Mind sharing what you come up with?

Roll
Old 06-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Mind sharing what you come up with?

Roll
Will do. I want to look at a product I saw on Holmes on Homes up in Canada.
Since I'm headed that way I might be able to import some. I think it's called "icing".
Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #12

search this website;; www.eastwood.com Undercoating gun kit, sound dampening, sound deadening, etc. They have quite a few products that are spray on, glue on, press and stick that address issues that Coachmen didn't.

1n
Old 06-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #13

Posted some pics of under the front hood looking up.

Here is what I see. The long black channel is the defroster vent.

What you are looking at is the underside of the dashboard where it hangs over the open area of the radiator, battery, etc. This would be the area of the dash that is closest to the windshield.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	54478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	54479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	54480  
Old 06-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Posted some pics of under the front hood looking up.

Here is what I see. The long black channel is the defroster vent.

What you are looking at is the underside of the dashboard where it hangs over the open area of the radiator, battery, etc. This would be the area of the dash that is closest to the windshield.

Gary
Yup. That's what I see as well. But I'm not surprised to see that level of low end cheapness on my Pursuit.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #15

Yep, those pictures look just like my Mirada.
I've been wondering what I could do to quiet things down.

Tags
cover