Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #1

thought I destroyed the water pump

Through a series of odd occurrences, as I was working on fixing a failed check valve in the shore water inlet, I accidentally left water pump on and it consequently emptied the remaining water in the fresh water tank by pumping it out of the shore water hose which I left wide open. I had gone inside the coach doing something else and thus was not paying attention.

There is nothing you can say that I have not already said to myself.

Turned the pump off, it was not running any longer when I discovered this, put some fresh water in the tank and with the shore water check valve replaced, turned the pump back on.

There were some odd noises as it tried to suck fresh water out of the tank but I let it go and in a minute it was working perfectly.

I expect I'm just a lucky guy which confirmed what my wife has been telling me for years regarding our relationship.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
B47

That's called cavitation - running a pump without liquid flowing though it.You are lucky your pump didn't burn up.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #3

You should be OK. Most RV pumps have a "Thermal Overload Protection" that shuts it down when overheated and has an auto restart once it cools down,
Gaffer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer222 View Post
You should be OK. Most RV pumps have a "Thermal Overload Protection" that shuts it down when overheated and has an auto restart once it cools down,
I can sit back and relax now as I've learned about the thermal overload protection. I don't want to 'overload' my little brain! lol
Thanks Gaffer
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #5

Well I agree, I am lucky. Not only that.... it was an expensive pump. The DW had complained about how noisy the original pump was, shortly after we bought the coach. I swapped out the original with what I thought was a very expensive "quiet" pump to satisfy her. Best Shurflo offered at the time.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll
Well I agree, I am lucky. Not only that.... it was an expensive pump. The DW had complained about how noisy the original pump was, shortly after we bought the coach. I swapped out the original with what I thought was a very expensive "quiet" pump to satisfy her. Best Shurflo offered at the time.
Well, maybe not so lucky, here's a cut from Shurflo "Built-in check valves prevent backflow into the tank. They can run dry without damage. Their patented design delivers smooth, consistent flow at all ranges of operation, while drawing low current. SHURFLO® fresh water pumps provide flows from 1.0 GPM up to 3.5 GPM. They are built tough to provide reliable, smooth and quiet operation for many enjoyable years of use. Each SHURFLO® fresh water pump is thermally protected for added safety and peace of mind. CE versions are available."
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Talk about an expensive pump - I had just changed the case drain filters on two hydraulic system B pumps on a Boeing 727 which required disconnecting the supply line hoses on both. This job required a leak check of the filter canisters.

I forgot to reconnect the supply lines and went to the cockpit to start the pumps for the leak check. These are 3,000 PSI pumps and I still remember the sound the one pump I started made when by running dry.

Luckily I only started one pump and what started as a routine filter change turned into a pump change. These pumps are very expensive as you might guess.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Well, maybe not so lucky, here's a cut from Shurflo "Built-in check valves prevent backflow into the tank. They can run dry without damage. Their patented design delivers smooth, consistent flow at all ranges of operation, while drawing low current. SHURFLO® fresh water pumps provide flows from 1.0 GPM up to 3.5 GPM. They are built tough to provide reliable, smooth and quiet operation for many enjoyable years of use. Each SHURFLO® fresh water pump is thermally protected for added safety and peace of mind. CE versions are available."
Out of curiosity I looked up the invoice to see just what I did buy. It's a Shurflo Smart Sensor 5.7 GPM at 65 PSI. I paid $260.00 in July 2011 and another $47.50 in labor. Probably would have gone for a less expensive pump but was motivated by a doubting spouse and wanted her to be happy with the coach purchase.

I've since moved the pump off the metal bay wall where it was directly attached and put it on the floor of the bay on an isolation platform to quiet it down even more. If I ever need to replace it I'll do the job myself but at the time, I was just starting up the learning curve and knew nothing about anything motorhome.

And of course, still have much to learn based on this incident.

It is quiet and so that's why I didn't hear it running pumping all the fresh water out.

But, it's not an aircraft pump which I am sure was many times the expense. Thanks for that.

Gary
Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 AM   #9

B47 where are you still working on 727s???
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime0022 View Post
B47 where are you still working on 727s???
I don't anymore - I did work as an aircraft mechanic for a major air carrier from 1969 to 1975 that operated B707's,B727's,B747's and DC-10''s.

I'm a bit older than some of the members here and my aviation experience goes back somewhat farther that most members here.

Do/did you work them?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #11

Wow...I work for a major airline. I only worked on 727 for my first year in the industry. I use to work on 747-400 but no longer now 757,777 and 787
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime0022 View Post
Wow...I work for a major airline. I only worked on 727 for my first year in the industry. I use to work on 747-400 but no longer now 757,777 and 787
I at first thought we both work or worked for the same airline,but the 747-400 and 787 rules that out.

Send me a PM if you wish to discuss further.

Nice talking with you.

Tags
pump, water, water pump