Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

Tire pressure monitoring: Thinking about this again

TST 507rv Tire Monitor System

This is the setup I'm looking at.

Need 6 for the coach but would probably add 4 more for the Jeep.

Will I need a repeater too? Coach is 38 ft; total length with hitch and Jeep is about 57 feet.

Pros/Cons/Experience with this system?

Recommendations about adding the Jeep?

Would you recommend a different system?

Thanks

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have a tire tracker system and have not had any issues. Regardless I would purchase without a repeater and try it before as every vehicle setup will be different .

www.tiretraker.com just for comparison
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
TST 507rv Tire Monitor System

This is the setup I'm looking at.

Need 6 for the coach but would probably add 4 more for the Jeep.

Will I need a repeater too? Coach is 38 ft; total length with hitch and Jeep is about 57 feet.

Pros/Cons/Experience with this system?

Recommendations about adding the Jeep?

Would you recommend a different system?

Thanks

Gary
It is a great system and they have very good customer service if you need it. As far as a repeater I have a 20 foot tow vehicle and a 35 foot FW and have not had any issues without one.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #4

We travel with a Windjammer pulled with a Tundra. I purchased a Tire Minder system @ two years ago. Just needed the four for the trailer as the Tundra came with tire monitors. Also purchased a booster to make sure signal reached the monitor. Last summer the monitor started acting funny. They told me to send in everything and they would check. They sent it back with a new monitor; still acted funny. No questions asked they sent me another monitor. Everything has worked perfectly since. I know that doesn't sound good for the system but they have great support and I am happy with the system.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #5

I purchased the TST 507 internal sensors exactly a year ago. I had to install a repeater due to drop out. My setup is a Tundra pulling a 29ft TT. I installed 4 in the tires on the ground and one in the spare. The TST sensors transmit once every 5 minutes; so you have to wait a few minutes for the update. They worked great for a month. Then all of the sudden they became very intermittent to worthless. Found out the wireless temperature gauge (purchased amazingly at the same time) was the culprit. Apparently Oregon Instruments broadcasts on the same frequencies as TST; the wireless temp sensor was interfering with the tire sensors. Solution is to remove batteries from remote temperature sensor while travelling. Then install batteries in temp sensor after I'm parked at the campground. Now life is good with peace of mind as I have a reliable pressure monitoring while travelling. Temp sensors are fairly continuous transmission so they are OK with the occasional transmission drop-out from the TST sensors. And as everyone has said - TST is great to work with. Yes, I would highly recommend TST.
As a follow up, the TT spare tire went flat one day, I never would know it looking at the spare tire. The sensor detected it. Could have been trouble if I was in a pinch and needed the spare while on the road.
lmcleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcleister View Post
I purchased the TST 507 internal sensors exactly a year ago.
I thought the choice was pass through or not pass through. When you say "internal" I assume you had each tire broken down and the sensor mounted inside the rim; is this correct?

Sounds expensive compared to the external sensors.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #7

Happy to say the Tiretech On TPMS works very well. Easy install and setup and provides accurate real time pressures and temps (verified temps with infrared thermometer). The monitor is about the size of a small flip phone, closed. Easy read face and function. Mounted it with it's suction cup mount to the forward edge of the small drivers side window which makes it non intrusive. When I received it there were 6 extra batteries which surprised me. The monitor battery will last approx 30 days between charges.

Here is a link for those interested.

Tiretech on Tire Pressure Monitoring System w 10 Brass Sensors 0 232 PSI TP7004 | eBay

Using it on a 24 foot Solera and towed Malibu. Have not needed a booster.
I highly recommend this system.

Same exact system as the Tire Minder, Tire Tracker and also sold under other brands.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #8

Yes, each tire must be broken down to install the sensors. The phrase "expensive" is relative. The whole concept of a tire pressure monitoring system is insurance - so determine how much insurance is important. In addition to pressure, I wanted a measurement of temperature as close to the bearings as possible. Mounting the sensors internally on the rims provides metal to metal contact from the bearings to the sensor body. External sensor temperature measurement doesn't sound like it would give as reliable forewarning of a bearing failure as internal sensors. It doesn't take but a few stories of improperly seated bearings to give a person jitters. Same is true of tire blow out. My rationalization is that thousands of dollars of damage caused by one blow out pays for even the most expensive system.
lmcleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Roll,
Regardless of which brand you choose you will need external sensors for your toad if you want to keep the factory TPMS functional. The only purpose to adding the toad to the coach system is so that you can monitor the toad tires while towing. I have used the 507 flow through system for two years+ and love the piece of mind. If you mount the receiver high in the side window you might not need a repeater. I'm still thinking about adding sensors for my toad. Mostly because it is only 1400 lbs and I don't think I would notice if I was dragging a flat. Next thing to consider is what kind of valve stems you have on your Jeepney. If they are rubber, you should use the lighter cap sensors.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
TST website says sensors update every 2 minutes. Above it was stated every 5 minutes .

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Happy to say the Tiretech On TPMS works very well. Easy install and setup and provides accurate real time pressures and temps (verified temps with infrared thermometer). The monitor is about the size of a small flip phone, closed. Easy read face and function. Mounted it with it's suction cup mount to the forward edge of the small drivers side window which makes it non intrusive. When I received it there were 6 extra batteries which surprised me. The monitor battery will last approx 30 days between charges.

Here is a link for those interested.

Tiretech on Tire Pressure Monitoring System w 10 Brass Sensors 0 232 PSI TP7004 | eBay

Using it on a 24 foot Solera and towed Malibu. Have not needed a booster.
I highly recommend this system.

Same exact system as the Tire Minder, Tire Tracker and also sold under other brands.
It comes in 6 sensor version for $212. TST 507 with 6 sensor is $359. I haven't installed either but certainly noticed the price difference.
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #12

Pressure Monitors

I always checked my trailer tire pressure before pulling out. March 2013, before leaving a campground, I checked my tire pressures, all OK, headed for home, 43 miles. I stopped for a red light, after exiting an interstate, another driver pulled up beside me and said he just saw my trailer tire blow out (I had driven 33 miles from campground). I bought a Tire Minder TMG400C, put the sensors on my trailer tires. I already had internal tire pressure monitors on my tow vehicle. I did not buy the boosters. So far I haven't needed them. My tow vehicle is a GMC Yukon XL, 2500 my trailer is a Rockwood 8315BSS, 34'9" long. So far I haven't had any problems monitoring my trailer tire pressure & temperatures. Before buying the Tire Minders, I always checked my tire pressures before towing and at rest stops while towing. Now I just look at the monitor.

I feel much more at ease towing with the Tire Minders on my trailer tires.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #13

Roll,
On my first MH I had the TST510, never had a problem with it. On the new MH had the 510 mounted on that. When the 507 came out with flow-thru sensors, bought that. I tow a Escape Hybrid. Probably equivalent to the Jeep in length did not need the Range Extender. I found the TST folks very helpful and they stand behind their product.

Denis
Old 01-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #14

Hi, Roll!

I have a similar product:

TireTraker TPMS

Got the 10-wheel system (to include the Jeep). Since we were on the threshold for length, we did get a battery-operated (vs. hard-wired) signal extender. So far, everything has worked flawlessly.
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #15
Site Team

I have the TST 507 and had the earlier system ( non replaceable batteries) also. They both work very well and the service is amazing. Regular updates are every few minutes, but if the pressure drops significantly, the alarm sounds immediately. I would try without the repeater as mentioned.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
I shopped around before I bought mine. I got my setup from Ezz RV About half of what TST wanted and the sensors were the same as TST From the same china distributor. I did not get the pass through's because the batteries only last about 2 years. With the sensor type (non pass through) you can change the batteries your self. Much cheaper that way. The reason I got a TPMS was because of the following.

2 years ago about 10 miles from Lordsburg New Mexico I had a front tire blow from low air pressure. It did several thousands dollars in damage tearing part of the fender and front cap away before I could get stopped. another time crossing Texas on I-10 The tire on my 2002 Jeep liberty toad had a tire go flat from a screw picked up on the roadway. When the tire came apart from running flat it to tore of part of the fender and inner pan on drivers side ruining the rim and front alignment. If I would have had a TPMS at the time I would have detected the loss of air pressure before the damage was done. The TPMS has saved me a couple of times since I got it.
Mel
Old 01-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
I shopped around before I bought mine. I got my setup from Ezz RV About half of what TST wanted and the sensors were the same as TST From the same china distributor. I did not get the pass through's because the batteries only last about 2 years. With the sensor type (non pass through) you can change the batteries your self. Much cheaper that way. The reason I got a TPMS was because of the following.

2 years ago about 10 miles from Lordsburg New Mexico I had a front tire blow from low air pressure. It did several thousands dollars in damage tearing part of the fender and front cap away before I could get stopped. another time crossing Texas on I-10 The tire on my 2002 Jeep liberty toad had a tire go flat from a screw picked up on the roadway. When the tire came apart from running flat it to tore of part of the fender and inner pan on drivers side ruining the rim and front alignment. If I would have had a TPMS at the time I would have detected the loss of air pressure before the damage was done. The TPMS has saved me a couple of times since I got it.
Mel
The TST 507 flow thru sensors have a battery that can be changed by the user. I have that system. Yes, the 507 type that (I believe 4 companies sell under their brand name) comes from the same China Company. What you are buying in the price is the warranty (3 years for TST) and support from them on various issues you might have. I have used TST products for over twelve years and anytime I needed to ask a question, they were there, and very willing to always help. Consistency, support and, duration of business are important key factors.
Just my 2 cents.
1n
Old 01-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
The TST 507 flow thru sensors have a battery that can be changed by the user. I have that system. Yes, the 507 type that (I believe 4 companies sell under their brand name) comes from the same China Company. What you are buying in the price is the warranty (3 years for TST) and support from them on various issues you might have. I have used TST products for over twelve years and anytime I needed to ask a question, they were there, and very willing to always help. Consistency, support and, duration of business are important key factors.
Just my 2 cents.
1n
My warranty was for 2 years. after the warranty I needed a couple of batteries and they sent them to me along with the rubber O-rings free of charge. Excellent service at least that has been my experience. How much did it cost you to have the tires removed and broken down to replace the batteries. I just screw mine off of the valve stem with the special tool provided and remove 3 screw to change the batteries. No tire to dismount to get to the sensor batteries. just my 02 cents worth.
Mel
Old 01-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #19

Consider www.Tiresafeguard.com. After having a blow out on an inside rear tire and 3 weeks later lost air and shredded a trailer tire (light trailer, never knew it lost air) I installed my 1st set on a class C Winnie in and the trailer in 2008, worked great. Since I needed tires anyway I purchased the valve stem sensors. Just upgraded to a 34' class A, ordered and installed the the kit with the flow thru sensor last week. This is the only brand I have seen with a replaceable battery. The receiver has a rechargeable battery with plug in charger, you mount to the dash anywhere you like. I think they have a 300' range. Ordered thru Amazon, received in 3 days, under $300 for 6 tires.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Not only do I use mine in the summer for my sabre 5th wheel in the winter I move them over to my sled trailer!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire