Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Hugh R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 174
Hey,

So I got real metal tire valve extenders installed on the rears. They loaded the tires up to 98 psi. The fronts from the Dealer are at 90 PSI. The sticker in the Mirada states 82 psi. I'm thinking I should lower them all to the 82 that the sticker says. It was kind of a hard ride from the tire shop back home, but then I've only driven it a couple of hundred miles?

I know I need to weight the front and rear of the unit and then check Goodyears Tire pressure guide for the 245/70/R19.5 tires, and I have to do that, but can't this week. I'm going on a short (less than 100 miles) trip in the morning. As a base, I'm thinking of the 82 PSI. When I weight it, I'll adjust accordingly.


Any thoughts?
__________________

__________________
2013 Mirada 29SE, I earned it!
Hugh R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
_nelsonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
Hey,

So I got real metal tire valve extenders installed on the rears. They loaded the tires up to 98 psi. The fronts from the Dealer are at 90 PSI. The sticker in the Mirada states 82 psi. I'm thinking I should lower them all to the 82 that the sticker says. It was kind of a hard ride from the tire shop back home, but then I've only driven it a couple of hundred miles?

I know I need to weight the front and rear of the unit and then check Goodyears Tire pressure guide for the 245/70/R19.5 tires, and I have to do that, but can't this week. I'm going on a short (less than 100 miles) trip in the morning. As a base, I'm thinking of the 82 PSI. When I weight it, I'll adjust accordingly.

Any thoughts?
My 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35DL calls for 90 PSI so I am running that until I can get weighed properly. Your approach is the same as mine.
__________________

__________________
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Hugh R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 174
Thanks, just needed a little re-affirmation that I'm not missing the boat. Mine is a 29SE, so it would require less TP than your 35DL.

98 PSI just seemed way out of line!
__________________
2013 Mirada 29SE, I earned it!
Hugh R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
go6car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 213
We're still at 90psi as well - looks like that's where we'll stay too. Would love to weigh all four corners separately, but there's just no where around where I am to do that, so axle weights are our only guide, along with the sticker; and also Michelin's chart. 90 it is!
__________________
2013 Coachmen Encounter 36KS
(Forest River adopted cousin! )
2004 Jeep Wrangler
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
We're still at 90psi as well - looks like that's where we'll stay too. Would love to weigh all four corners separately, but there's just no where around where I am to do that, so axle weights are our only guide, along with the sticker; and also Michelin's chart. 90 it is!
If you try an pick a quiet day at the CAT scales, you can use the aft platforms and stop with the right wheels only on the scales. After they weight, reverse off. turn around and back onto the same two plates for the other side.

Don't try this on a busy day though.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #16
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If you try an pick a quiet day at the CAT scales, you can use the aft platforms and stop with the right wheels only on the scales. After they weight, reverse off. turn around and back onto the same two plates for the other side...
You just have to make sure you are positioned the same way as far as how far over on the scales you are with the centerline of the coach. In other words, try to get the centerline of the coach at the edge of the scale both times.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You just have to make sure you are positioned the same way as far as how far over on the scales you are with the centerline of the coach. In other words, try to get the centerline of the coach at the edge of the scale both times.
Neil, I am not so sure this is critical.
The wheels don't know where they are at; just how much weight is on them.
No?
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Neil, I am not so sure this is critical.
The wheels don't know where they are at; just how much weight is on them.
No?
Try this some time, park both right side wheels just about 6" from the edge of the scales and then park them to where the inside of the left wheels are just 6" from the scales but not on the scales and the rh wheels are on the scales.

Might not be critical if the centerline of the coach is relatively close to the same, but it will make a difference if it is off by say a couple of feet.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #19
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Herk, get out your diagram on how to weight the tongue of a trailer with a bathroom scale and a 2 x 4 and a block. I think it will clarify it somewhat.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Herk, get out your diagram on how to weight the tongue of a trailer with a bathroom scale and a 2 x 4 and a block. I think it will clarify it somewhat.
So is this an issue with the CAT scale platform or where the wheels are placed on the platform?

Using your analogy of tongue weight using the bathroom scale, it would be like moving the entire trailer and setting up again. You are not changing the relationship of the wheels in relation to each other; just the location of the trailer in the "world."

The wheels will see the same load regardless of where they are parked.
The width between the scale and the brick does not change.
You are not moving the load INSIDE the RV around between weights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tonguescale.gif
Views:	48
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	33709  
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.