Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 AM   #1

TOAD questions

Hello. I have read many posts regarding towing but wanted to get advice for my particular situation. I have Leprechaun 240FS and would like to tow a car. I would like to tow my old daily driver, 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD. Owners manual says it's ok to tow but; 1. Is the JGC too large/heavy to be a good TOAD? 2. I am struggling with decision on auxiliary braking system. I would like one that is functional and suitable for DIY install. Many opinions on internet. They are so expensive, I want to make the right decisions.
I would appreciate your experienced thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.
Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #2

I think your Grand Cherokee is too heavy. Can it pull it? Yes, but not safe in my opinion. I would not do it. Auxiliary brake system is a must and in some states required. MHOP
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #3

Thank you for your thoughts and taking the time to reply.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:32 AM   #4

First check to see what your hitch is rated to tow. Then get the Jeep weighted so you know if you can be in the rated range. Also Google motorhome dinghy towing guide for your year Jeep. Also make sure you will not be over the gross combined weight rating of the motorhome and dinghy combined.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:58 AM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

Which chassis do you have? If you are on the E450 chassis you should have the necessary towing capacity. Your Jeep weighs in around 3800#.

My E450 has the V-10 and a towing capacity of 7500# with a GCVW rating of 22,000#. The Chevy chassis have a bit less capacity. We are still deciding if we are going to tow our '03 F150 or the '15 Fusion Hybrid.

To purchase everything brand new expect to spend around $2000 plus labor. I do all my own work, so I am ahead of the game on the labor.

Check around for used Toads and towing assemblies. My wife's uncle just purchased a Saturn sedan with all the towing stuff ready to roll for $3000. Not a bad deal at all.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Which chassis do you have? If you are on the E450 chassis you should have the necessary towing capacity. Your Jeep weighs in around 3800#.

My E450 has the V-10 and a towing capacity of 7500# with a GCVW rating of 22,000#. The Chevy chassis have a bit less capacity. We are still deciding if we are going to tow our '03 F150 or the '15 Fusion Hybrid.

To purchase everything brand new expect to spend around $2000 plus labor. I do all my own work, so I am ahead of the game on the labor.

Check around for used Toads and towing assemblies. My wife's uncle just purchased a Saturn sedan with all the towing stuff ready to roll for $3000. Not a bad deal at all.

Aaron
Hello, I do have the E450 with V-10. It has 7500# tow hitch. GVWR on my Unit is 14500. I have not weighed yet but will do that at my earliest opportunity. I plan on installing my own tow package for TOAD if I can resolve decisions. I may look for used TOAD as you suggest I just have this JGC on hand and I hate to buy another vehicle. But, if not prudent to tow JGC, I will do what I have to do.
Thanks for your response.
Warren
Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2 View Post
Hello, I do have the E450 with V-10. It has 7500# tow hitch. GVWR on my Unit is 14500. I have not weighed yet but will do that at my earliest opportunity. I plan on installing my own tow package for TOAD if I can resolve decisions. I may look for used TOAD as you suggest I just have this JGC on hand and I hate to buy another vehicle. But, if not prudent to tow JGC, I will do what I have to do.
Thanks for your response.
Warren,

The 7500 LB Tow hitch is the max weight that hitch is designed to tow.

GVWR is for your motorhome itself. Any tongue weight would contribute to the GVW (which is probably minimal).

The combination of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle is called the gross combined weight (GCWR). Many vehicles have a GCWR, which is a manufacturer's recommendation for the maximum combined weight of both vehicles; by chance does your yellow sticker list the GCWR?

Even though it is not required in several states, I strongly encourage you to install a brake system on the JGC (a proportional braking system is best).
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Warren,

The 7500 LB Tow hitch is the max weight that hitch is designed to tow.

GVWR is for your motorhome itself. Any tongue weight would contribute to the GVW (which is probably minimal).

The combination of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle is called the gross combined weight (GCWR). Many vehicles have a GCWR, which is a manufacturer's recommendation for the maximum combined weight of both vehicles; by chance does your yellow sticker list the GCWR?

Even though it is not required in several states, I strongly encourage you to install a brake system on the JGC (a proportional braking system is best).
Hello, thanks for this info. The only place I can find the GCWR is in Leprechaun brochure. It states for my Unit GCWR is 22,000#. I am sold on the aux braking but yet to decide on a particular one.
Ford E450, V-10 Gasoline, 7500# towing
14500 GVWR, 22,000# GCWR
Recliner option
Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Hello, thanks for this info. The only place I can find the GCWR is in Leprechaun brochure. It states for my Unit GCWR is 22,000#. I am sold on the aux braking but yet to decide on a particular one.
That is what I was thinking because GCWR is usually (OK always )calculated as GVWR + hitch rating. 22000-7500=14500 works out nicely

I am a huge fan of proportional braking systems both Blue OX and SMI make great units. You can't go wrong with either one!
Old 03-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #10

My first impression is that your JGC is a bit heavy, but that's just a feeling. I'm pulling a 2 door Jeep Wrangler that is surprisingly 5000 lbs+.

In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with the Ready Brute Elite tow bar. It has a built-in mechanical braking system. You can easily do the install yourself.
http://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/R...V_Tow_Bar.html
Garmin RV 660 MLT
2008 Jeep Sahara
-Blue Ox base plate | Ready Brute Elite
BlackJeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #11

I looked into towing, but decided against it for the added weight, cost, limited mobility, etc. A few times, we've done rent-a-wreck for like $25/day, granted not all destinations have that option. You can do a lot of daily rentals for the cost of the tow and braking system.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #12

Weighed my JGC with 1/2 tank gas and it weighed in at 3,890#. RV, loaded for travel weighs in at 13,770#. In my estimation, I should be ok towing my JGC with my class C Leprechaun. Thoughts?
14500 GVWR, 22,000# GCWR
Recliner option
Old 04-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
I looked into towing, but decided against it for the added weight, cost, limited mobility, etc. A few times, we've done rent-a-wreck for like $25/day, granted not all destinations have that option. You can do a lot of daily rentals for the cost of the tow and braking system.
I have thought about the rental option but decided the "juice wasn't worth the squeeze". i.e. too much hassel.
14500 GVWR, 22,000# GCWR
Recliner option
Old 04-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #14
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Weighed my JGC with 1/2 tank gas and it weighed in at 3,890#. RV, loaded for travel weighs in at 13,770#. In my estimation, I should be ok towing my JGC with my class C Leprechaun. Thoughts?
You are well within the limits, go for it.

Aaron

Old 04-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #15

Quote:
I have thought about the rental option but decided the "juice wasn't worth the squeeze". i.e. too much hassel.
X2 - that works OK as long as you are near (or can call) a rental agency. When you need wheels, you *need* wheels (try finding a rental agency on that back road in NM when your MoHo breaks down and there is NO cell service )
Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #16

Rx

I posted this on another page in another forum and I'm afraid I am a dummy of the first magnitude. I'm trying to figure out which supplemental braking system will work best for our rig without breaking the bank.

We have 2017 Coachmen 300TS
2014 Ford Focus with auto transmission
Potential to trave to 49 states and Canada.

Which braking systems do ya'll use and why? I'm looking at the BrakeBuddy Stealth because it looks relatively simple to install, but then I looked at the Ready Brake but not sure if either is compatible with the tow system we already have,,,a RoadMaster Falcon 2.

If you respond, please do so in words with one syllabel or less

We will have to have it installed so that is a consideration as well.

As always, thank you for you advice.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #17

The READY BRAKE ($500) is designed to fit between an existing tow bar and the coach. Mine is built in to my READY BRUTE. Very easy to unhook and rehook:
http://www.readybrake.com/store/p1/R...ke_System.html

Be happy to assist with your install. I plagiarized another guy's idea for attaching the braking cable to the brake pedal. I now have a quick release when not towing. It's pretty slick.
Garmin RV 660 MLT
2008 Jeep Sahara
-Blue Ox base plate | Ready Brute Elite
BlackJeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #18
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
I posted this on another page in another forum and I'm afraid I am a dummy of the first magnitude. I'm trying to figure out which supplemental braking system will work best for our rig without breaking the bank.

We have 2017 Coachmen 300TS
2014 Ford Focus with auto transmission
Potential to trave to 49 states and Canada.

Which braking systems do ya'll use and why? I'm looking at the BrakeBuddy Stealth because it looks relatively simple to install, but then I looked at the Ready Brake but not sure if either is compatible with the tow system we already have,,,a RoadMaster Falcon 2.

If you respond, please do so in words with one syllabel or less

We will have to have it installed so that is a consideration as well.

As always, thank you for you advice.
How much ya wanna spend?

I am still in the research phase...

My two top contenders right now are the Patriot II from Blue Ox or the RVIbrake 3 system. I am leaning more towards the Patriot. Both are non-invasive, in that they don't require permanent installation and can be easily moved to a different vehicle if necessary. My biggest concern with the RVibrake is the tablet control...

I have nothing against the mechanical/hydraulic system that Steve and John are using and may end up going with that in the end. I haven't purchased our system yet, but will probably go with Blue Ox because of the available choices and I know they make a base plate for our 2015 Fusion Hybrid.

Aaron

Old 04-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
How much ya wanna spend?

I am still in the research phase...

My two top contenders right now are the Patriot II from Blue Ox or the RVIbrake 3 system. I am leaning more towards the Patriot. Both are non-invasive, in that they don't require permanent installation and can be easily moved to a different vehicle if necessary. My biggest concern with the RVibrake is the tablet control...

I have nothing against the mechanical/hydraulic system that Steve and John are using and may end up going with that in the end. I haven't purchased our system yet, but will probably go with Blue Ox because of the available choices and I know they make a base plate for our 2015 Fusion Hybrid.

Aaron
Hi Aaron, have you by chance evaluated the Brake Buddy Vantage? I am just about ready to pull trigger on braking device and was leaning towards the brake buddy vantage. I went with Blue Ox avail tow bar and Blue Ox base plate. I have seen posts on the Patriot and videos that indicated it has slow response speeds and that is what is leaning me to Brake Buddy. The difference seems to b patriot is operated by electric screw mechanism and Brake Buddy uses air cylinder and pump. Appreciate your thoughts.
14500 GVWR, 22,000# GCWR
Recliner option
Old 04-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #20
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Hi Aaron, have you by chance evaluated the Brake Buddy Vantage? I am just about ready to pull trigger on braking device and was leaning towards the brake buddy vantage. I went with Blue Ox avail tow bar and Blue Ox base plate. I have seen posts on the Patriot and videos that indicated it has slow response speeds and that is what is leaning me to Brake Buddy. The difference seems to b patriot is operated by electric screw mechanism and Brake Buddy uses air cylinder and pump. Appreciate your thoughts.
Nothing wrong with the Brake Buddy Vantage system either. I don't have a dealer for that unit in my area so had not had a chance to look at one. They are a well respected unit and have been around for a while. I can't find specs on the response speeds, but on anything other than a full bore emergency stop I can't see it being a major issue. Also in my case the Toad is about half of my towing capacity and is about 25% of my RV GVW so it is not a problem to me.

Aaron

Tags
toad