Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #1

Towing an auto trailer

I am planning on towing a U-Haul auto trailer with a 2018 Mini Clubman on board. Together they weight approx. 6k lbs. I have a 2018 Coachmen Concord with Ford V10, and it states my limit is 7500 lbs for towing. I've never towed with this rv before am are a little nervous. Uhaul guy said all I have to do is purchase the correct size ball and plug in for lights as my RV already has the elec connection. Is there anything else I need to know besides go slow (50-55 mph or so)? Thanks.
chief5631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

The U-Haul people can get you fixed up with the proper ball and wiring plug. Those U-haul car trailers pull real well and after you get used to having it back there you should be able to run at normal speeds.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

At that weight a supplemental braking system is required. If the trailer has electric brakes you will need a controller. The E-450 is prewired for one but unlike the F-Series, does not come with it. Prodigy has a good reputation.

If the trailer has surge brakes you are good to go. I would go to WallyMart to get the plug adapter if needed and the ball hitch for your 2” receiver. UHaul is a bit over priced.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick reply. The u Haul trailer has a surge brake system in the event of an emergency. So if it ONLY has surge brakes good to go? This is just a one time tow for 2000 miles.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #5

Because you said you have never towed with this unit, I will be very cautious. I would set the whole thing and do a trial around for 5-10 miles the day before the real trip. MHO
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief5631 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. The u Haul trailer has a surge brake system in the event of an emergency. So if it ONLY has surge brakes good to go? This is just a one time tow for 2000 miles.
You are good with the surge brakes. I hauled an older Chevy truck on a U-haul with my old 2001 F150 up and down through the Arizona mountains no problem. Use your tow-haul mode, steep grades will make your unit shift down and that V10 will rev a little but that's what it's made to do.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #7

If at all possible get U-Haul to assist you in putting the Mini Clubman on the trailer and fastening it down. Let them be responsible for the hold down. When ever you stop be sure to check all hold downs. Those are heavy duty trailers and usually pull very well.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #8

Thanks for ALL inputs, I feel better already esp about the quality of the U Haul trailer. How about this elec connection? Do I need to obtain an adapter from this to the 4-pin type?
Old 10-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief5631 View Post
Thanks for ALL inputs, I feel better already esp about the quality of the U Haul trailer. How about this elec connection? Do I need to obtain an adapter from this to the 4-pin type?
If they don't have the adapter you can usually buy them at most of the car parts places like Auto Zone and places like that. I just had to buy an adapter going from my flat style tow dolly going to my round connector of my motorhome. I bought the adapter at a local auto parts place.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #10

yes, that's what I have on my motorhome, a round type connector, and uhaul says they have the adapter there.

Thanks to everyone for the help, I sure appreciate it!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #11

This may not matter depending on your route, one thing about surge brakes is going on long downhill grades with constant engine braking the brakes can overheat since they come on by resistance of the tow vehicle. Continuous slight application of brakes creates more heat than slowing down and letting off, which you cannot do with surge brakes. I know it’s not your trailer and it’s only one trip. Just info.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #12

I would like to know how much that trailer weighs! My 16ft flat bed car trailer is only 1700 lbs. Those U-Haul trailers look pretty beefy!
Old 10-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I would like to know how much that trailer weighs! My 16ft flat bed car trailer is only 1700 lbs. Those U-Haul trailers look pretty beefy!
By U-Hauls web site their trailers are
Capacity
Max load: 5,290 lbs.
Gross vehicle weight: 7,500 lbs. max.
Empty weight: 2,210 lbs.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #14

it's doubtful that your RIG can actually pull 7,500 lbs, because of your coach's own weight and it's GVCWR rating... BUT, it's also very doubtful that you'll be anywhere NEAR the trailer's MAX 7,500 weight rating - it's also a max rating, and not the 'weight' that you will ultimately be pulling, which is probably closer to 4,000lbs.

RVs and their chassis's have a manufacturer's GVCWR[gross vehicle COMBINED weight rating]... which is their MAX total weight that the RV itself and any trailer/load that it is pulling, otherwise the 'combined' weight of everything.

Just because a coach has a 7,500 lb hitch 'rating' does NOT mean that you can pull that much. That is solely the rating of the hitch itself, no matter 'what' vehicle it is attached to, whether your RV, a much larger coach, or any other vehicle on the road.
In all likely hood, few RVs can actually tow the amount of weight that their HITCH is rated for. Most manufacturers simply add a hitch that will 'exceed' the amount that the RV could tow, because adding one that could 'NOT' would be even MORE aggravating and confusing, though in the world of towing, maybe that would be a 'safer' alternative to just 'assuming' that your Hitch rating is your RV tow rating! : )

Confusing, but true : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, trailer