Old 08-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

Trip Planner

OK, did a search for discussions through this thread, either I am doing the search function wrong or something,
anyway, I am finally planning a trip to North Carolina, and was doing a trip planner through the good sam site, but is there anything better, I can only drive maybe 5 hours to 6 hours a day, that is about all my neck and back can take, and going though GS planner, looking at the camping availability, it is hard to plan anything with that in mind,
I sure would appreciate if anyone knows of a better planner that I could put that kind of info into to get better results, it might not exist, but it is always better to ask a stupid question then to go blindly because of being afraid to look stupid,

thanks in advance,
hammer

hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #2

I found one on line called, RV TRIP WIZARD, Looks like a good choice, has everything as far as I can see, you can put in driving time, hours you want to drive, all of the different camps sites, instead of only a couple that good Sam has, it has all the golf courses and bike trails, looks like about everything a person could want to do, any thoughts, any suggestions,
thanks

Old 08-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Former Full Timer

I usually don't plan trips. Just point & go. When we decide where we want to go I plug it in google maps. I take the total miles and divide by 325 which represents 5.5 hours of driving. Then I know how many days it will take. Then I look for interesting POI's near the route. Next I look for CG's or parks that are interesting. When I have the basics figured out I call the next place we are going to stop the morning before we get there. I plan boondocking and dry camping 2 days out so the tanks are ready for that. The only advanced reservations we make are for a week or more at destinations in popular areas.
Basically I use the Semper Gumby travel method. We have added many days for excursions and saw some amazing things that you would pass by if your stuck to a route. Our method has served us well for 5 years and running...
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:11 PM   #4

yea I know duck, but I want to get to N.C. soon, our boy only has 3 weeks leave and we want to go around with him and family while he is off, we can take our time coming back, and see things we want to see, but your right, why hurry when you don't have too
Old 09-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #5

I paid for a membership to RV Trip Wizard and I'm yet to figure out what it does that just plain ole Google maps won't do. It may figure out how much fuel we'll use but I can sort of figure that out myself. It's very basic which is fine if you aren't into details.
If you just open up Google Maps and type RV Parks you'll find some that you've never even heard of. Google Maps is always very liberal about it's time estimation. For every 4 hours in a motor home you might want to add 30 minutes of actual time.

I tend to stick with Good Sam's planner even though it's limited somewhat, why it can't locate some parks that should be obvious is one issue. Trying to add a place that's not on the list might drive you insane too. Some GPS devices will allow you to add a planned trip to your device, so I bought one that was suggested....and it didn't work.

Road trippers is nice too, it's not RV specific which can matter if you want to avoid less RV friendly roads. If Roadtripper was more MH specific it might be the best we have right now. Planning these trips out can really be time consuming though. We just got back from a 4 state trip to the West coast using Good Sams planner and it went without a hitch.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #6

Have a look at furkot.com. No idea what the name means but it is one powerful planner. A little bit of a learning curve but totally worth it and it's free.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #7

My vote is for roadtrippers.com. We are planning out a two week trip on it for next year and the campsite reviews, pictures, destinations, etc are proving to be really great.
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by khocke View Post
Have a look at furkot.com. No idea what the name means but it is one powerful planner. A little bit of a learning curve but totally worth it and it's free.
Hey, thanks for this. I checked this out and it seems great. One word of warning. Sign up before you begin to plan your trip. I spent about an hour planning a trip and when I signed up it wiped out my trip Have to start again.

PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote