Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

TV upgrade in Bedroom: Came out okay.

My Encounter is an early model, (I've certainly griped about this enough).

It came with identical tiny 19 inch TV's, one at the table and one in the bedroom. Both mounted the same way.

We rarely watch the table TV but we watch the bedroom TV every time we have the coach out. I found a 29 inch Vizio TV that had a very thin frame and so, it fit nicely between the wardrobe closets on either side of the 19 inch TV. I didn't take pictures as I did the project but I do have one of the finished job I wanted to share. I included a picture of the table TV for comparison.

For reference look at TV over the table, you see the wooden frame the 19 inch fits into, (notice how small that screen is). In the bedroom picture you can still see the bottom of the wooden frame that held the 19 inch bedroom TV. That should make clear the huge difference in screen size from the old to the new.

It was simple really, took the 19 inch out but left the metal box attached to the wooden frame, bolted a new tilt mount to the metal box and the new TV to the new mount. Shimmed the new mount until the fit was just right, nice and snug against the wooden frame to keep the TV from vibrating. Used long screws through the box, then mount and into the TV.

I think it came out fine and I can still swing it open from the left to access the storage area behind the TV.

Roll
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060964.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	26725   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060965.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	26726   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060966.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	26727  
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #2

Looks great !!
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 AM   #3

BIG improvement!!! Looks great!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #4

Hi, new here, like five minutes ago. I bought a 2013 Mirada 29DS a month ago. The 32" TV only plays sound through the TV, not the house speakers. McMahon RV in Westminster, CA said it would only play through the house speakers on the DVD player. I pulled the TV off the wall and to my surprise I found Left/Right RCA audio output jacks on the back of the TV with cables plugged into them. The cables disappear into the wall on the right of the TV along with the antenna, power and cables from the DVD player. I called McMahon and they insisted that it would not play sound from the TV to the house speakers. I asked the purpose of the existence of the audio output jack cables and they mumbled a response. My email and call to Coachmen in IN also went unanswered. So what I did was disconnect the output cable and put in a RCA Left/Right cable to a 3.5mm jack and plugged in this wireless stereo transmitter to the TV and the receiver into the audio output of the dash radio "Aux input" socket. It works beautifully. I get really good sound and I can adjust the volume, and equalizer on the dash radio. About $60. Its currently unavailable from Amazon, but I got one from NewEgg.com Amazon.com: Audiomate 3.5mm Wireless Audio Transmitter - 2.4GHz Digital Stereo sound Sender and Receiver with Built-in Li-ion rechargeable battery - Compatible with any earphones and active speakers: Electronics
Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #5

(Hi, Hugh - glad you made it over here! )
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #6

Hey, thanks for the tip! I'm already finding it very useful. I'm an absolute newbie on this RV thing and I need all the tips that I can get. I'm an avid subscriber to an old Porsche forum and it has saved me thousands of deniro over the years.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #7

Welcome Hugh.

I'm an old Porsche driver too. Between cars right now and with retirement coming in July, I may not have another but I sure did enjoy the two I had.

Welcome and I was going to post something about your home theatre situation but looks like you solved the problem.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote