Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

Two problems: not serious but I am curious

My LCI hydraulic jacks have never worked properly in the auto mode. The system insists on raising one end or the other off the ground in an effort to level the coach.

I did the reset, twice and though it worked better once or twice it eventually returns to this flying high position. One time shortly after we took delivery it raised the front wheels 6 inches off the ground while leveling the coach in auto mode. And.... not knowing any better we left it that way for 3 days!

I gave up and level the coach manually. It's simple and no problem for me, and rarely do I find I can't get it level without raising a wheel, (and when it does happen I move the coach).

Same experience anyone else? Same leveling system? (LCI)

The second item is the hydraulic unit, it leaks oil. Not a lot but the bottom of the compartment always has an oily feel to it. I've cleaned it up several times and after a few uses the oily coat on the floor of the compartment is back. Dealer tightened up the unit, (twice) and then replaced it, but the problem remains.

Again, same experience with your Encounter or anyone with the LCI set up?

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #2

There has been some work done on this issue by the PrimeTime division of Forest River working with Lippert. Look for posts by RV Guy in this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-37545.html
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
There has been some work done on this issue by the PrimeTime division of Forest River working with Lippert. Look for posts by RV Guy in this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-37545.html
RV Guy is telling me what they are doing has nothing to do with my issue though when I read the thread it seems exactly like my problem.

He is not with Forest River or Lippert apparently and can't help. Too Bad.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #4

I have the same systems. I carry a 4 ft level to check things. Before I even start to level I check to see how far out level is by putting it on the floor. If it is too far off I reposition for optimum, then auto level. This works most of the time. I have not been taken into flight mode yet but have come close. Mostly it was due to a mild slope I did not see...went to a different campsite. Yes, I have seen some hydraulic fluid in the pump compartment. Here is where my sub experience comes in. Every valve we have and the ruder, stern and bow planes work on hydraulics (these are multi-million dollar systems). There is ALWAYS some seepage so a little slickness around (oily feeling) that is the nature of the systems. You can not stop it and it is fairly normal. If you see a pool/puddle, dripping or something like that then there should be concern. Oil is oil, it will get past the fittings and whatever goop they use to seal them. Tightening of the fittings should be done carefully as you do not want to strip or snap the fitting. Try this...clean the compartment then put a quilted chemwipe down. Do your thing, with slides and levelers...check it from time to time. If it has some minor stains, it is normal, but if it saturates you have a problem. Most problems are where tubing and fitting meet.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #5

RV Guy is with the PrimeTime division of Forest River. I'd say you just didn't ask the right questions, but oh well.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
Yes, I have seen some hydraulic fluid in the pump compartment. Here is where my sub experience comes in. Every valve we have and the ruder, stern and bow planes work on hydraulics (these are multi-million dollar systems). There is ALWAYS some seepage so a little slickness around (oily feeling) that is the nature of the systems. You can not stop it and it is fairly normal. .
Thanks, I learned to live with it but your comments make me feel a little better about it. Wonder why the Dealer didn't just tell me its normal and part of having a hydraulic pump on board.

Thanks OneN.

Roll