Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #21

We started with a TT, then moved to 5er, and now have a Class C. Each one has good and bad things, but we would not go back. The travel is so much better in a Class C. I had back surgery and it is so much better to my back. In addition, if we need to go to the bathroom or want to eat something, we don't need to leave the unit. Mileage is not good with either one of the units.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:38 PM   #22

Class C vs TT

We just bought a Forester 2861DS. It is such an improvement over TT loading/unloading the truck between use at home and keeping everything dry too. It was getting to be a pain raising stab jacks from the storage area, getting aligned with the trailer ball, raising front to get weight distributing bars on, lower again, hook up 7 way plug and camera cables, fighting the wind and semi-trucks pull, and then reversing all of this at new campground. Sometimes it was really difficult to have enough room to back in with a truck and 30' trailer attached at the storage area and state parks. It is a breeze now. No rolling trailer back and forth at hook-up or return when I'm stupid not placing wheel blocks. Last year was so hot out that I was soaked getting the trailer level and also placing a hydro jack under the center frame, etc. etc. Only went out once last year. The "C" has brakes to keep from rolling and my one requirement was self leveling jacks. We have been out this year every other week so far. I also enjoy not having to carry propane tanks for BBQ as I just hook a hose to the "C". Didn't think outdoor kitchen would interest me, but I love being able to wash hands with hot and cold water and a clean place for finish food and tools.

With the "C" what I do miss is a larger bathroom and shower, having a small kitchen counter space and more inside convenient space when entering RV. Gas milage is about the same as had with pulling the TT. We have been "Camping" since 1979, The V10 has the torque and when necessary can pass someone. I now travel 5 MPH faster than I could with the TT (60 MPH). I really like the plusses of the Forester. -Bob
Bob2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #23
World Wide Wanderer

We went to a class C in 2016. So far it has been perfect for us. The only downside for us is lack of large item storage and the bath and shower being on the small side. We typically travel with 2 adults and a 50# hound/terrier dog. We have done a couple of long weekend trips with 4 adults.

We have had; tents, popups (2), TT (4), 5vr (1) and a beat-up old Class A for a short period of time.

We had just started the looking process when we stumbled on our Coachmen Concord 300DS. We were looking for a gently used Dynamax Isata 290 but weren't having much luck.

The Concord checked off 95%+ of our boxes.
  • wife would drive
  • Fully usable with slides in
  • Ford Chassis
  • Front swivel seats
  • Walk around Queen bed that doesn't fold when closed
  • Sleeps 4 adults occasionally
  • 5k towing capacity ( we actually have 7.5k on the Concord)
  • Low entry height, we are currently at 3-4 steps vs 6+ on some things we looked at.

My bride doesn't particularly like the convection oven but is learning how to use it. She loves the massive kitchen counter.

Current we don't use a toad. We either rent a car or utilize Lyft/Uber/Taxi. However, we are in the process of setting up our 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid to be the toad. As far as mileage we average in the mid 9 range.

Make a list of your needs and wants, shop around and look at as many floor plans as you can. Everyone has different wants and needs. They also change as life goes on.

Currently, we go out for a week or at most two. We don't have plans to try and live for extended periods of time in ours. We may push up to 3-4 weeks but we still will have a home base.

We also like the convenience of not having to leave the RV to grab a bite to eat at a rest stop.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #24

Happy to see many with a C. We went from a TT to a C to a super c to a DP. Now on our 3rd 5er and would never go back. All units were bought new and never a problem. Always had a toad. The new Montana 3761fl is only 41' with 5 slides. We do travel 6-7 months annually. If a weekender staying close to home a super c might work.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #25

We have owned a 19' Class B conversion van, a 26' Class C, a 40' Class A diesel pusher and a 21' travel trailer. Here is my view... An RV is a tool that enables a specific travel style. We bought our travel trailer because we hated breaking camp every time we want to go somewhere in the Class C. We loved the Class A for full time living, and towing our Jeep made getting around easy after we set-up camp somewhere. As we got older, the king size bed in the class C really did NOT suit our sleeping "style". My wife is an early riser (like 5 AM), while I like to sleep in until 6:30. Our current travel trailer has twin beds and I can sleep as long as I like. It also fits in our garage, so I don't have to pay thousands in annual storage fees like I did with the 40' motorhome. Before buying any RV, ask yourself, "What exactly am I going to do with this tool and how will I use it?" Every tool (RV) has advantages and disadvantages. Finding the right tool (RV) is easy when you have a clear definition of how you will use it and what your RVing style is. If you buy a Class C, you'll have to break camp every time you need a gallon of milk or loaf of bread or need to go someplace to hike or do something. How will you get there? Will you tow a car with the Class C? Do you like going 30 mph up hills when towing (and you will when towing with any Class C). What about fuel economy? Every RV we have owned got 8 to 9 mpg except our current 21' Flagstaff. Now we get 18 to 19 towing our Flagstaff with our Jeep Hemi V-8. We've got twin beds, a very large dinette, plenty of storage space, a great kitchen, potty and shower and we are happy. We like it better than the 40' Class A coach because it FITS OUR CURRENT TRAVEL STYLE perfectly. What is your travel STYLE? Understand the answer to that question, and you will know exactly what the BEST RV (tool) is to address your most important RVing needs. Another thing to think about is "where you go and how long you stay there". We know some RVers whose travel style is "one day here, two days there". They are always on the move and rarely spend 3 nights in a single campground. I call that camping style the "one day two day" style. Other RV friends travel to a destination location, then spend a month there in one place. If you're always on the move and "one day two day" describes your style of travel, then you'd probably love the Class C because that kind of RV is much more suited to that style of travel. If you like to go somewhere for your vacation (a destination) and then stay there for an extended period (say 2 weeks or a month), then a travel trailer or 5th wheel may better suit your needs. Every tool has a "best purpose". Every RV has advantages and disadvantages. Make a written list of things that are important to you including a detailed description of your "travel STYLE". Only then will you be able to know with certainty which RV type will best suit your style and needs.
RobertK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #26
Cadiz Couple

We started small with pop-up and Casita, which were too confining, then went big with 34’ pull behind which was great for camping but way too large for easy traveling. We now have a 28’ Class C and are very happy with it. Pulling a Wrangler is still a long rig but we handle it ok. Every type has good and bad points—none are perfect but we are happiest with the Class C. I don’t even know the Jeep is behind me. I recommend the Stay and Play brake system—just simply flip a switch and you are set to go.
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSmitty View Post
We have owned a TT, 5er, and back to a TT and now thinking it is time for new RV. We are considering the possibilities of looking into a class c.

Looking for opinions, thoughts (good and bad) of those who made the jump from a TT, 5er to a "C".

Thanks...
I have a class c 2700DS sunseeker by Forest River it’s 2017 8900 miles it’s in excellent condition has all the extras just want pay off 64000 email me if interested. Belivertwo@aol.com
Rick180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #28

fresh experience

Quote:
What type of gas mileage are you getting with your "C"?

I am getting around 11-12 with my TV/TT. From what I have heard it would be around 10 or less with the "C". Notice any MPG difference when towing the toad?

Just coming home from a 2 months trip Quebec, Canada to New Orleans, Houston, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Morro Bay, San Francisco, Yellow Stone, Badlands and back home. 8700 miles. With a Sunseeker Class C (Ford 10 cyl.) towing my Mazda 3 on a dolly.
8.55mpg. More mpg on flat roads, but the mountains penalize.
mzweili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #29
Denver wanderer

Class c

We had 24’ Forest River Solera. Diesel. Got around 13 mpg. Had one slide out. Didn’t tow anything.
Just traded for Class A due to bed situation. Now we can actually walk around bed and get up in middle of night without climbing over each other. Also, have couch to use when watching TV. Sitting at kitchen table together didn’t work, so we brought in lawn chair in Solera.
Good luck in your search.
David Burum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #30

I have a great class c but wish I had my truck and a fifth wheel. I do pull a car thats pretty easy with a tow dolly but could have more storage with a pickup. Mine is the 26QB Freelander. I’m grateful to have it but would trade in a heartbeat. I get 10 miles to a gallon in the 450 Chevy.
Jerrykyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:29 PM   #31

Just got back today to PA from Nova Scotia in our 2018 Georgetown 31L5, 35’ class C pulling a 16’ cargo trailer with 2 motorcycles inside. Only checked mileage 1 time and got 7.25 mpg. It has the Ford Triton V10. Love setting up high and the large windshield. But highly recommend adding Sumo springs. Good luck with your decision.
dcluvtohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:08 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcluvtohunt View Post
Just got back today to PA from Nova Scotia in our 2018 Georgetown 31L5, 35’ class C pulling a 16’ cargo trailer with 2 motorcycles inside. Only checked mileage 1 time and got 7.25 mpg. It has the Ford Triton V10. Love setting up high and the large windshield. But highly recommend adding Sumo springs. Good luck with your decision.
The Georgetown is a Class A, NOT a Class C, which is what the OP is asking about.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:35 AM   #33

So true. Guess I had a case of CRS for a moment. My main thought was to give him an example of gas mileage from the Triton V10. Thanks for the correction. Now if I can just remember where my dang keys are.
dcluvtohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #34

Asking the question in a motorhome section will trigger a lot of positive responses from MH owners but you probably figured that out already.

We current have a Class C and it suits our purpose for travelling and boondocking at a race track. If I was camping at regular campgrounds, I'd probably stick with a trailer.

My biggest reasons:

1. Class C is noisy going down the road - engine plus interior stuff rattling around. For long trips I'd rather ride in a PU towing a trailer. You can only do so much to stop dishes and other stuff from rattling and making noise. You can barely hear the radio.

2. You have to tow a car for excursions and small trips from the campground. If I'm doing that - I'd rather just have a PU and trailer.

3. Extra cost - gas, insurace, maintenance on the motorhome.

Good luck with your choice.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #35

We’ve owned them all and eventually decided the class c is the way to go.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #36

Made.the switch from TT to Class C this spring and love it! Went with a 2006 Forester 3101S that had very low miles and is in excellent condition. Decided to go used in case I didn't like it, but so far there's nothing not to like. Made a trip from Maine to Maryland over Memorial Day weekend pulling a small enclosed motorcycle trailer and all went great. Glad I made the switch.
Lesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #37

Quote:
What type of gas mileage are you getting with your "C"?

I am getting around 11-12 with my TV/TT. From what I have heard it would be around 10 or less with the "C". Notice any MPG difference when towing the toad?

I have a MB chassis and it's been great! I get about 14 to 16 mpg when traveling.
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertK View Post
We have owned a 19' Class B conversion van, a 26' Class C, a 40' Class A diesel pusher and a 21' travel trailer. <snip> If you buy a Class C, you'll have to break camp every time you need a gallon of milk or loaf of bread or need to go someplace to hike or do something.
I am baffled why someone who obviously has been around the horn in the world of RV's would make a clearly inaccurate statement like this? You towed with your Class A... why in the world would you suggest you cannot tow with a Class C??? We have owned three Class A's including a couple monster tag axle diesel pushers... and while we loved them for extended living, the difficulties negotiating city streets, small towns, and tight RV parks was a definite tradeoff, and most of all the expense of ownership... cummins maintenance, those monster tires, all the high end appliances like aquahot and air suspension and so on, they added hugely to the cost of ownership. Not to mention the considerable annual depreciation. Mpg and the cost of fuel was almost completely insignificant by comparison.

So we downsized to a new mid sized class C. Actually we started with a 27' sunseeker and the E450 with the Triton V-10 which was MORE than enough to tow our full size Chevy Suburban. We would not even *think* of traveling without a toad, unless we were just going somewhere for the weekend or something. The 27' sunseeker proved to be a bit too tight living quarters, and so we upgraded to the 32' Forester we have now, and once again the E450/V-10 combination with the 7500 lb towing capacity tows whatever we want, our new Dodge Durango, our sailboat, or my 20' car trailer with my sports car inside. And still the cost of ownership with the simple and reliable Ford chassis is a mere fraction of what it takes to own the big rigs.

Sure, there are plenty of Class C's on the road which lack the towing capacity for our needs, but I don't think there is a Class C made that cannot tow a Fiat, or a small Suzuki or something. The concept that "you'll have to break camp every time you need a gallon of milk" is purely a matter of choice and perhaps not wanting to tow because of the inherent limitations of towing *anything*, particularly a toad with 4 down. But like anything in RV life, it's a tradeoff... you either tow something so you have something to get around in while set up in the RV park without breaking camp, or you choose the simplicity of not towing and put up with the constant breakdown and setup.

I definitely agree, however, that if you are the type of RV'er who goes south for the winter, for example, and stays put for months at a time, that a TT or 5er is probably the best choice. But for life on the open road in the golden years, for us, a solid mid sized Class C on the Ford chassis, is a great way to go.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #39

We have camped for almost 50 years. We started out with tents from pup to family size. We also had popup and a 18' TT before we went to a class C, 22' Winnebago Minni. It only got 7-8 mpg. More recently we purchased a 2018 Coachmen Prism Elite 24EF. It is on a Sprinter chassis and with just over 8000 miles, we have averaged 15.4 mpg, mostly while towing a little FIAT 500.
I would encourage anyone considering a small classee C to check out this model. It has a lot of room for two but can easily sleep five and even six if they include young children.
Jimvin49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimvin49 View Post
We have camped for almost 50 years. We started out with tents from pup to family size. We also had popup and a 18' TT before we went to a class C, 22' Winnebago Minni. It only got 7-8 mpg. More recently we purchased a 2018 Coachmen Prism Elite 24EF. It is on a Sprinter chassis and with just over 8000 miles, we have averaged 15.4 mpg, mostly while towing a little FIAT 500.
I would encourage anyone considering a small classee C to check out this model. It has a lot of room for two but can easily sleep five and even six if they include young children.
Agreed - Coachmen 2200 FS on Sprinter Chassis - We're about to get a Toad for our use. Wife currently looking at a SmartCar…I myself like the Fiat. We'll see where we land.
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c