Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 10:51 PM   #1

Up to a Class C???

We have owned a TT, 5er, and back to a TT and now thinking it is time for new RV. We are considering the possibilities of looking into a class c.

Looking for opinions, thoughts (good and bad) of those who made the jump from a TT, 5er to a "C".

Thanks...
Old 06-19-2019, 11:33 PM   #2

We have had cabovers, small single axle hunting TT, and then on up to 15-19-24 foot TT for me and the wife. The last was a large toy hauler for taking out Kawasaki Teryx and wintering in AZ. It was harder and harder to pull, in the wind and on Interstates so the wife finally quit trying to drive, Time to look into upgrades.

We have a very specific floorplan that we like, with fixed utilities such as plumbing to bathrooms, gas to stove and oven and the bedroom arrangements. Found everything we wanted in the latest MH. Made the jump to a Sunseeker 3010DS Class C last month and she swears it put the fun back into RV'ing for her. Leaving tomorrow for a 2 week trip into the mountains and she has never been happier.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:02 AM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

Like some others I have talked to, most centered around once you are at the campground. You need to go some where... what do you do? We went from a tv/tt to mh/toad and really like it. If we want we can leave the Liberty at home, but if we needs something while camping, we can jump in it and go to the store. Or, we go on little excursions. Do I miss my Armada and trailer? At times. But I would be getting about the same gas mileage which ever way I went. But, there's other things to consider which others will write about.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Like some others I have talked to, most centered around once you are at the campground. You need to go some where... what do you do? We went from a tv/tt to mh/toad and really like it. If we want we can leave the Liberty at home, but if we needs something while camping, we can jump in it and go to the store. Or, we go on little excursions. Do I miss my Armada and trailer? At times. But I would be getting about the same gas mileage which ever way I went. But, there's other things to consider which others will write about.
What type of gas mileage are you getting with your "C"?

I am getting around 11-12 with my TV/TT. From what I have heard it would be around 10 or less with the "C". Notice any MPG difference when towing the toad?
Old 06-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

Well, I'll give you a better idea at the end of today when I fill up. Stopped for the dogs right now... late start this a.m., and that's another story.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #6

Class C

We owned a travel trailer, upgraded to a 5vr, upgraded to a Class A and downgraded to a Class C in 2016. We love the C. I have driven it towing a Jeep Liberty. My husband says it is like driving a truck so he likes it. We are trying to sell it now as we haven’t been able to use it due to his back surgeries. Really want to travel. It only has 3900 miles. Forest River Forester 3051S 31’.
patsylou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

We have been up and down the spectrum of rigs a couple of times. Most recently from a F250 diesel 4x4 and 28’ SOB fiver to our 28’ Lexington 283GTS. We are well pleased. The opposing slides in the front give us a nice open living area and the bedroom slide gives us a walk around queen bed. We have spent as long as 3 months in it a few years ago in Florida quite comfortably. We purposely looked for a Moho without the cab over bed and have all the room we need.

We are campers not big travellers and don’t bother with a toad. We take our bicycles or walk on occasion for supplies if necessary. In Florida we just rented a car for a few days every other week.

The best improvement for us is the lower chassis and resulting lack of stairs. I have had two total knee replacements and was struggling with the tall truck and stairs at times.

Good luck with your decision.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #8

We have gone through exactly that progression and are currently in the process of trading our 2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J for a Allegro Red 37PA. Love the loaded Aspect and with our kids raised, didn’t need the bunk over. Instead, the Aspect provides a very sweet entertainment center, more arrow dynamic, lower profile coach with much less wind drag. Handles like driving a van and is completely loaded. Nothing negative to say about it over the past 5 years of ownership. Only trading because we are preparing for much longer stays in retirement.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #9

I know there are there are all kinds of different variables...but, what kind of MPG are you "C" owners getting?

Do you see a difference when towing a toad or not?
Old 06-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSmitty View Post
I know there are there are all kinds of different variables...but, what kind of MPG are you "C" owners getting?

8.75 with Toad
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #11

Bald Falcon

We have a 2017 Forester MBS. Just the two of us and two corgis. No toad just four bikes. We get between 11 and 15 mpg depending on wind and speed.
Jroddym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #12

We started out with a class c. Then decided to get a travel trailer so we had a vehicle to explore destinations with. My wife didn't enjoy the trailer at all. Only had it for 1 season. Traded it in for our current Class c Sunseeker. Much happier now. I don't have to worry about trailer sway, or taking turns too sharp when backing. (Don't ask)
We do not tow anything behind us. Usually we arrange to have a rental company meet us at the campground on the day we check in.
rhughsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:

9.5 to maybe 10.5, depending on terrain in a 25 foot Leprechaun 210RS on a Chevy E4500 chassis. We live in a pretty hilly area along the Virginia Blue Ridge and getting anywhere starts us off with lousy mileage. On the other hand, driving across Indiana and Ohio last month were great.

Don't tow, so I can't answer that.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #14

Well we "upgraded" from a high end Class A to a brand new Class C and are very happy. We went from very careful navigation with a 43' tag axle Tiffin Allegro Bus to the easy-driving new 2019 Forest River Forester 3041DSF. So going from diesel to gas. Much happier. Big Cummins diesels are a lot to maintain, hard to access and you need a specialty shop. The Ford chassis and V10 can be handled by most Ford mechanics, the V-10 is a superb powerplant which actually produces a higher HP/Torque-to-weight ratio than the cummins. See my image below from our website. Fuel mileage is similar, but then if you are watching your pennies on fuel costs, you probably don't want to own any motorhome and certainly not a Class A. I always had to laugh when people asked me what kind of mileage we got with the bus... as if the difference between 7 and 9 mpg makes even a hint of a difference in the overall cost of ownership.

Our bus was a 2010 and even though we always had an extended warranty plan, it is a pleasure to own a new FR coach with full factory warranty. Been very reliable so far. Biggest downside to the class C is 30A power and one A/C. This is a 32' coach and a single roof air, even the big 15K BTU cannot keep up when outside temps climb above 90. I am in the process of installing a portable 11K BTU unit which will vent out the side and connect separately to the pedestal, either to the 20A outlet or if none, then the 50A outlet. I will post a page on our website when it is all done and explain the parts used and the installation procedure, and then I'll post to the forum and link to the page.

Overall, if I were trying to decide between a 5er and a Class C, it would come down to how much use it gets and how often we move. If you are in it a good bit of the year like we are, then a MH makes the most sense IMHO. And a full body paint Class C is very classy looking rig. If I were a snowbird and using it mostly in two locations, for example, say north and south, I would own a 5er. Lot less running gear to go bad from sitting.

2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #15

Mileage

Can’t really help with mileage. When it’s empty we fill it lol. Given our insanely short Canadian camping season it’s definitely a luxury item that we love and are grateful to be able to afford.
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #16

We started out with a class C and are staying with it. Driving a 25 foot Leprechaun on a Chevy E4500 chassis carrying me, DW, a very large Alaskan Malamute (130#), an 85# German Shepherd and a 7# calico cat (she's the one in charge of everything). It's been pretty cozy, but we came to this from a backpacking tent that I carried on my back, so cozy is a relative thing. Sadly, the Malamute has now recently passed away, so I guess we'll have a little more space in the future, though I'd much rather have the dog.

Getting down to what the OP is interested in, we went with a 25 foot Class C because I really don't want to be towing and it seems easier to me to pull into the site, set a bubble level on the floor, put a couple of lego blocks at the tires and pull onto them. At the same time, if we want to go into town or the park, it's pretty simple to pull in the slide, raise the stabilizers and drive off the lego blocks. If I can find a place to park the pickup that I would need for a TT in town or the park, I can probably find someplace to park the RV. Next trip we're also going to start carrying bicycles.

In short, it depends a lot on how you like to camp and what you like to do. We like to be outdoors (maybe comes from the backpack days) and the RV is a place to get out of the rain, sleep and cook. We carry a CLAM shelter to keep bugs and at least light rain off if we want to sit outside in those conditions. There's a TV in the RV but in the 50 day trip we just got back from it may have been on for a total of 5 hours and I don't miss it. Took the insert out of the overhang bunk to ease getting from the driver/pax seats to the box. Don't need the bunk. For what we enjoy doing it really works pretty well, but you have to look at what you want to do and base choices on that.

EDIT: Let me also add that my backpacking days taught me that I don't really need to have everything I own with me when I'm outside. We camp to get away from all that stuff and the time it consumes/wastes. The limited space in the 25 footer discourages any temptation to load a lot of stuff that we don't really need, and not having a washer and dryer on board is an opportunity to go to a Laundromat and read a book or amuse myself watching some woman trying to dry five sleeping bags in one small dryer and wondering what the burning plastic smell is. It's an exercise in the minimalism that we find hard to do when we're at home.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #17

Considering the same, but ...

We’re looking at the same option. Lots of opinions out there. But I’m always tickled by the fuel mileage discussion. My math says if we drive 10,000 miles per year and get 12mpg but then switch to something that only gets 10mpg it just cost me 20% more. That’s like 200 gallons of gas! Or at $3 per gallon that’s $600 ! In the big game of RVs that’s not even a consideration in my opinion.
Just my 2 cents.
Greg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #18

This is our third season with the class c. We did the tent, pop up, TT's (3). Both of us are retired and the grandkids are getting older so we can do more traveling instead of staying in one place. Now, the longest we stay is about 3 nights because we are going farther. We like the MH because we pull in, plug in, maybe deploy the awning, relax. Also, I can drive for hours so she can get up to use the bathroom or make a sandwich while we drive. The rear storage has room for most of our stuff including two folding bikes. I built a rack for the back for a scooter or motorcycle that we use for exploring. The MH is 29.5' long with walk around queen in the rear and that is good because on stay days she likes to sleep in. I can get up early and eat without disturbing her. The MH gets 9.5 to 10.5 mpg depending on wind and speed. The point is, is it depends on how you travel or stay.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #19
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
What type of gas mileage are you getting with your "C"?

I am getting around 11-12 with my TV/TT. From what I have heard it would be around 10 or less with the "C". Notice any MPG difference when towing the toad?
Well, The mileage is pitiful after all the construction on I70 and the head and cross winds. Sound like an excuse? Yep. But it has been a heck of a day and only got about 6.5 mpg. I usually get around 9mpg towing the Liberty the 180+ mile round trip from my house to Raystown Lake, PA. But, like I said, sitting in traffic long enough to take a nap doesn't help the mileage. And that was how it was today.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 06-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #20

On the mileage question - have a 2014 Forester 3051 - only the five speed so not as good as the new ones.

Got about 8 to 9 first year and started towing a Toad last year. Toad is a Hyundai Elantra sport so not much weight. Mileage seems better when towing the Toad.

Read somewhere that pulling Toad breaks up air behind coach etc. who knows.

I use 8 for an estimate for the trip. Sometimes I’ve gotten close to 10 when the wind gods were with me and sometimes a little less.

Tags
class c