Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #81
Land of the Midnightsun

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	115154

I've been doing quite abit of research on steering dampeners and ordered a safe t plus. I have no sway probs when big trucks pass or handling probs. But I've noticed when pulling jeep. Sometimes front end will drift or float. And those that have put on bigger steering dampener say there is night and day difference. My wife was driving and she noticed the floating sensation so I ordered one today and should be here Wednesday and I'll let you know the verdict but I'm sure it should be positive. On this brand its little more expensive but I like how the metal ram is in closed but of course they stick ya extra for mounting hardware
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
Attachment 115154

I've been doing quite abit of research on steering dampeners and ordered a safe t plus. I have no sway probs when big trucks pass or handling probs. But I've noticed when pulling jeep. Sometimes front end will drift or float. And those that have put on bigger steering dampener say there is night and day difference. My wife was driving and she noticed the floating sensation so I ordered one today and should be here Wednesday and I'll let you know the verdict but I'm sure it should be positive. On this brand its little more expensive but I like how the metal ram is in closed but of course they stick ya extra for mounting hardware
Very interested. I noticed a bit of drift just driving home from my dealer. Please keep us informed JJ.
Garmin RV 660 MLT
2008 Jeep Sahara
-Blue Ox base plate | Ready Brute Elite
BlackJeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #83
Land of the Midnightsun

I read this on another forum and he explained exactly what safe t plus is and does

The Safe-T-Plus is not just a steering damper (or "shock absorber").

The Safe-T-Plus is a spring-loaded steering centering device, combined with a damper. It has two (internal) opposing springs in compression. You can't compare prices to other brands, because there are no other brands of the exactly the same thing (patents). The closest thing is the Roadmaster Reflex, which puts a single spring around a steering damper and uses it in both compression and tension.

There are also brands of spring-loaded centering devices without a steering damper, so you would have to compare the price of Safe-T-Plus to the price of a new steering damper plus the price of the centering device.

Most of these centering devices are fixed passive. That is, the direction they want to point the steering is determined when they are installed, usually "dead ahead." They resist any deviation away from center position, whether or not centered is what you need to go straight ahead.

There are systems (e.g. TrueCenter) in which the direction they want to point the steering is driver adjustable, so that they can be adjusted to compensate for a crowned road, or a crosswind. Thus when steering needs to point to one side or the other to preload tires for a side force, you can do that, without having to fight both the side force and your centering device.
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #84
Land of the Midnightsun

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	115553

I got the safe t plus put on today wasn't any prob. Regular socket set will do it but did test dive with concord by it self then pulling jeep. First word? Wow. It really made a difference. I never got blown off road by big trucks but I knew they were there. Now? They just go on by. One finger driving. Pulling the jeep? It's amazing. No more kind of back and forth on steering wheel. It's firm solid steering. I am very particular about after market parts. A lot of them are junk but I will admit this safe t plus. Makes a difference. Been reading about it for couple months and everything I've read Is true. It was 400$ for brackets and unit but I think money well spent. I took off ford steering dampener and it is tiny about the size on my jeep so there is the somewhat sloppy steering. Original steering wasn't horrible but you were always driving Moho. Now it's like night and day. I can turn loose of steering wheel on flat straight roads and it drives straight. I only drove 30-40 miles But I'm very happy......my name is John and I approve this message! Lol
Old 07-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #85
Land of the Midnightsun

Oh? They put the dang sticker on upside down.....no I did not install backwards I read instructions this time. Well? Looked at pics
Old 07-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #86
Land of the Midnightsun

Views:	159
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	115618

Went down this morn and had widows tinted. Much better
Old 07-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #87
Land of the Midnightsun

Views:	146
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	115619

I did the eyebrow like tbonz did. Kind of hard to see.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #88

Quote:
Oh? They put the dang sticker on upside down.....no I did not install backwards I read instructions this time. Well? Looked at pics
Was it as simple as just remove and reinstall, with no adjusting?
Garmin RV 660 MLT
2008 Jeep Sahara
-Blue Ox base plate | Ready Brute Elite
BlackJeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #89
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJeep22 View Post
Was it as simple as just remove and reinstall, with no adjusting?
Sort of. The mounting hardware will have instructions. But first remove original damper. Then safe t plus will mount from left side ( driver side ) then U bolt to tie rod on right side. But u need to park with your front wheels as straight as possible to start your install. Check your air pressure in all your tires and don't forget airbags. I did ours in our neighborhood street. It is flat and I drove up in front of house as straight as I could. Anyhow after install road test for pulling right or left. If u do pull put tape on dash then tape on steering wheel to mark straight driving. Then go park. Leave motor running put someone inside to hold steering wheel with tape marks lined up. Get underneath and loosin U bolts and safe t plus will adjust itself then retighten. It will walk u threw in the instructions There is a vid on safe t plus website of installation on a larger class A. But works for us to
Old 07-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #90

Someone mentioned a rally? Sounds like fun. We're loving our Concord and do quite a bit of traveling. We just hit 12,000 miles and are heading out Tuesday to Maine via Richmond, VA. I know, Richmond isn't anywhere between Minneapolis and Portland Maine but we're going to help out a friend with some home remodeling/repairs. Got all my tools loaded up and will head out early for the 3 day drive. Normally pull our Chevy Equinox but think we won't need a car this trip so will save the 1 mpg. I think we'll cover about 4,000 miles before we get home again in late August.

So, where is the rally and when? We should start planning.

Dick
richardelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #91
World Wide Wanderer

John, good work on the SafeTsteer. I will look into that. I have some alignment specs for the E450 chassis. I will share when I get back to a more reliable internet connection.

Dick, I started a thread about a possible rally. My wife and I are both still working but have a vacation block coming up in April 2017... Have Concord will travel!

I am thinking somewhere relatively central with temperate weather. Seeing how it was my brilliant idea I will volunteer as wagon master.

I will shoot you a PM with my contact info, I live about 3 hours south of Richmond, and have a project going there at the moment. Maybe we can get together.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #92
World Wide Wanderer

Back from the Great Beyond!

Back from our week at 4 Paws Kingdom, we had a great time and the dog had a blast. I can highly recommend this campground if you are ever near the NC foothills near the NC/SC/GA border area.

We did not get the rig weighed. My bride got home late and the scales were closed. Not set up for the toad yet. We packed everything we needed for a week and the only thing we ran out of was orange liqueur (for the margaritas) and potato chips

Here is a picture of the campsite, along with a couple more pictures of the dog perch in use as it was planned. Need to make a couple of modifications to the design, but it worked very well.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
Old 07-30-2016, 11:13 PM   #93

Quote:
Well I added extra ac over bedroom. Removed fantastic fan and put in dometic 13,500 btu low pro penguin II. Then ordered a roll of the double bubble reflective insulation and cut it to fit inside of windshield and both side door Windows. And WA-LA. A lot cooler. That all I've done and it works great. When my wife and I were in fredrickburge for the 4th. We sat in wide open sun and it was 105 -107. And the original 15,000 btu ac would only cool inside to about 83-84 and my wife had odd look on her face. So when we got home. I got to ordering another ac and something to put in windshield to cut the heat. Our little thin privacy cover that covers Windows didn't do much to hold back heat
How did you wire it up, WE just got off a big trip. HOT HOT HOT in the bedroom evening was ok. But not in the day.
Rescue Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:31 PM   #94

Wahoonc, do you happen to have the numbers for Bilstein Shocks for the 2016 E450?

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #95

I found them Wahoonc,Thanks.Bilstein--Front BE5-H341-HO/-33-187570--Rear BE5-E205-HO/33-176875..$343.20 for 4 allshocks.com.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 08-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #96
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Here is a picture of the campsite, along with a couple more pictures of the dog perch in use as it was planned. Need to make a couple of modifications to the design, but it worked very well.

Aaron

Like the dog perch! Showed this picture to my DW and she just looked at me and asked when I would have ours done. Maybe it would keep our Sheltie from pacing around the MH.
Great thread on your mods. Keep up the good work!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #97
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue Duct View Post
How did you wire it up, WE just got off a big trip. HOT HOT HOT in the bedroom evening was ok. But not in the day.
Sorry I haven't replied sooner my wife and I have been out enjoying our concord over in New Mex. I wired our second ac up with a 25ft 15 amp 14 gauge wire extension cord found at lowes. Wired it straight in to ac then plug pops out the hatch for spare tire crank. I use an inline plug in 20 amp circuit breaker when plugging it straight into box for your rv hook up. Most have 20amp plug in next to your 30amp plug in. I found this works for my set up and didn't want to go to the trouble or expense of increasing to 50 amp
Old 08-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #98
Land of the Midnightsun

Views:	185
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	116303

I did manage to get the tv boom arm put in before we left. It will swing tv around 29 inches works well. I am gonna replace original piece of wood behind tv with piece of oak and stain it dark don't care for the large holes in original wood. I looked on back of tv for amp usage and it doesn't say out right but formula is divide watts into voltage ? Have to look it up
Old 08-05-2016, 05:55 AM   #99
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Attachment 116303

I did manage to get the tv boom arm put in before we left. It will swing tv around 29 inches works well. I am gonna replace original piece of wood behind tv with piece of oak and stain it dark don't care for the large holes in original wood. I looked on back of tv for amp usage and it doesn't say out right but formula is divide watts into voltage ? Have to look it up
Nice job! Divide the watts by volts to get the amps. Or just let me know what the tag said.

I doubt we will do that mod. My wife normally sits in the dinette anyway, if she is on the couch she is napping. I don't watch much television at all, I can actually go for weeks without turning it on at home or in my motels.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
Old 08-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #100

plug

Quote:
Sorry I haven't replied sooner my wife and I have been out enjoying our concord over in New Mex. I wired our second ac up with a 25ft 15 amp 14 gauge wire extension cord found at lowes. Wired it straight in to ac then plug pops out the hatch for spare tire crank. I use an inline plug in 20 amp circuit breaker when plugging it straight into box for your rv hook up. Most have 20amp plug in next to your 30amp plug in. I found this works for my set up and didn't want to go to the trouble or expense of increasing to 50 amp
Tell me more about (or show pic) of this inline 20 amp circuit breaker,Please.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma

Tags
modifications