Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
World Wide Wanderer

Wahoonc's 2016 Concord Mod Thread

I am one of those people that CANNOT leave well enough alone.

We purchased a brand new 2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS February 25, 2016. After a very thorough PDI at the dealer we headed for home a lot later than we planned. Spent our very first night in a WM parking lot in Walterboro, SC.

Now on to the mod list! I plan to try and keep a running list on this thread, if any other Concord owners have suggestions or have done a mod or three, please chime in!

Here is the list, in no particular order, as it currently stands:
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Insulated boxes for holding tanks/duct furnace heat to them
  • Electric Dump Valves
  • LED Patio strip lighting
  • More/larger coach batteries
  • Upgrade bedroom Fantastic Vent to remote/reversible
  • Covers over the two Fantastic Vents
  • MaxxAir Deluxe for bathroom
  • Inverter to power televisions when dry camping, along with an auto transfer switch
  • Permanent solar install, currently use 100 watt portable
  • Macerator
  • Genturi system
  • Bilstein Shocks
  • Possbily upgrade sway bars to Hellwig
  • 12 volt drain down valves
  • Convert power cord to Marinco style
  • See Level tank gauges
  • Trimetric power gauge
  • Auto transfer switch for generator and shore power
  • Hard wired EMS, currently use a portable
  • Upgrade converter from WFCO to Progressive Dynamics

And I am sure more will come to me as we use it.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
World Wide Wanderer

First Round of Mods

For some unknown reason Coachmen did not put hold open struts on the overhead cabinets in the bedroom, purchased the struts from a local source and installed them.

I am not quite sure who came up with the sewer hose storage gizmo, but in just over 250 miles of driving I have managed to drag it twice. So off it came and I stuck a conventional cap with the grey water plug in it's place for the time being. I use a Sewer Solution for emptying my tanks so no great loss on the gizmo.

The next mod was the latch that holds the bathroom door open. It was a pinch catch and when the RV is up on jacks is may or may not line up. I replaced it with a magnetic catch that will work across over an inch of misalignment.

Stay Tuned! More to come!

Aaron

Old 03-15-2016, 05:47 AM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

Found a couple more things over the weekend that are going to need attention

There is little to no insulation in the front cap area, I was parked headed into the sun and it was HOT inside the front cabinets. I pulled a speaker cover and you could see the inside of the fiberglass cap. I am going to pull the front television this weekend anyway to add better AV cables, so I will probably take care of the cap at the same time. Figuring on using some foil faced duct insulation and construction adhesive to attach some 1.5" duct insulation to the inside of the cap to cut down on the heat coming in.

The other item is the door strut. It is mounted at the top of the door. I have two issues with it, one it is exposed to weather and those struts are not really designed for that, number two is that is puts a lot of stress on the top of the door hinge when you are closing the door. The doors are curved so the hinge is a good ways down the door. Have to think about that one and see what I can come up with. Better to head off a potential problem than fix it after it becomes one.

Aaron

Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Found a couple more things over the weekend that are going to need attention

There is little to no insulation in the front cap area, I was parked headed into the sun and it was HOT inside the front cabinets. I pulled a speaker cover and you could see the inside of the fiberglass cap. I am going to pull the front television this weekend anyway to add better AV cables, so I will probably take care of the cap at the same time. Figuring on using some foil faced duct insulation and construction adhesive to attach some 1.5" duct insulation to the inside of the cap to cut down on the heat coming in.

The other item is the door strut. It is mounted at the top of the door. I have two issues with it, one it is exposed to weather and those struts are not really designed for that, number two is that is puts a lot of stress on the top of the door hinge when you are closing the door. The doors are curved so the hinge is a good ways down the door. Have to think about that one and see what I can come up with. Better to head off a potential problem than fix it after it becomes one.

Aaron

Hey! Your over here! I like this forum better, little tamer. Our door strut was on backwards during walk threw they turned it around I think it be fine. It pushes door open but don't think it will pressure the door hinge. I was reading other thread about fella that had leaks and few other probs with his concord I felt bad for him rv buying is a crap shoot. You really gonna change shocks and sway bar? We've taken couple shake out runs and concord handles really well in cross winds. Also on ur air bag limits? Our Firestone book says 100lb max. I run 65-70lb and MHSRV where we purchased from said most run 80lb. 65-70 is a real smooth ride. With jeep hooked up our cw is 17,480 full water fuel ( jeep also ) propane ,food , clothes and cook stuff I was shocked. Gcw is 22,000 I stay away from boundaries I will put up awning light fo sho
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
Hey! Your over here! I like this forum better, little tamer. Our door strut was on backwards during walk threw they turned it around I think it be fine. It pushes door open but don't think it will pressure the door hinge. I was reading other thread about fella that had leaks and few other probs with his concord I felt bad for him rv buying is a crap shoot. You really gonna change shocks and sway bar? We've taken couple shake out runs and concord handles really well in cross winds. Also on ur air bag limits? Our Firestone book says 100lb max. I run 65-70lb and MHSRV where we purchased from said most run 80lb. 65-70 is a real smooth ride. With jeep hooked up our cw is 17,480 full water fuel ( jeep also ) propane ,food , clothes and cook stuff I was shocked. Gcw is 22,000 I stay away from boundaries I will put up awning light fo sho
Don't know yet on the sway bar and shocks. The shocks are given, I have done it on every truck I have ever owned. I may be able to get away with a bushing upgrade on the sway bars. The factory bushings are pretty soft.

You are right about the airbags. The 70psi was for testing the install. I hope to get my unit down to the scales this weekend or maybe next.

Found something else to fix/replace too... the cheesy backsplash thing behind the stove. I have no clue what it was put there for, it sure isn't going to protect the wall from cooking splatter. My bride has already picked out some sort of glass tile.

Aaron

Old 03-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Don't know yet on the sway bar and shocks. The shocks are given, I have done it on every truck I have ever owned. I may be able to get away with a bushing upgrade on the sway bars. The factory bushings are pretty soft.

You are right about the airbags. The 70psi was for testing the install. I hope to get my unit down to the scales this weekend or maybe next.

Found something else to fix/replace too... the cheesy backsplash thing behind the stove. I have no clue what it was put there for, it sure isn't going to protect the wall from cooking splatter. My bride has already picked out some sort of glass tile.

Aaron
First thing my wife asked for besides rip that tp holder out in bathroom...lolClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	102106

If u decide to go small tiles like that make sure u have 500 spacers. Pain in butt
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
First thing my wife asked for besides rip that tp holder out in bathroom...lolAttachment 102106

If u decide to go small tiles like that make sure u have 500 spacers. Pain in butt
Looks good! I am not sure what she has picked out. I will find out tomorrow when I get home.

Aaron

Old 03-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #8

Smile

Hey Aaron....
howdy and nice new rig. You retire or your bride or both?
You get rid of the airstreams and small TT?
We have to get back together and camp sometime.
We are heading to Stone Mountain Park and campground in GA this weekend for a weeks stay. Figured for this spring break to try something new, not MB or Charleston, SC or Pigeon Forge, TN.
Just the bride, myself and the pups.
Congratulations on the nice new rig.
randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

Hi Randy... fancy meeting you here!

Nope haven't retired yet, still both running the road. We have another 5-10 years to go before we can hang it up for good.

Airstreams got sold last year, got back pretty much what I had in them. Just did not have enough time at home to work on them.

Traded the little 16' Coleman in on the Concord. We did okay on it.

We will be up at Jordan Lake in Parker's Creek over Easter weekend. Then the camper stays there all week for a family get together. My in-laws will be staying in it part of the week.

I think this one will work a lot better for us than the TT's have. Rhonda has been doing a lot of volunteer work with the Miss NC Pageant. When she has a function somewhere, me and the dog can drive up with her and go hang out until she is done, then spend the rest of the weekend in the area.

We also have a two week trip planned after Labor Day or before Memorial Day (next year) to take my parents out to Iowa for "one last trip". They don't drive anymore and mom can't fly so the RV is about the only choice left.

I will PM you my phone number and email then maybe we can get together somewhere along the road.

Aaron

Old 03-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
World Wide Wanderer

Got a few more things done on Brühilde over the weekend. Replaced the defective A/B switch on the outside entertainment center. The board on the original one was broken, suspect it may have had something to do with a hamfisted installer jamming it in a cutout that was too small. I increased the size of the cutout a bit and the new one went in fine and works.

We were not impressed with the stock backsplash from Coachmen, not quite sure what it was there for, decoration, perhaps?

My wife found some peel and stick "tiles" that suited her so we got those installed. If they don't stand up I did find a source for quasi peel and stick 4mm glass tiles.

Aaron

Old 04-05-2016, 07:27 AM   #11
Land of the Midnightsun

Your tile looks great. I got ours washed and waxed for first time. Wasn't to bad, waxing front top cap was a head scratcher. Folded mirro in then used ladder and put a socked foot on hood kind of but got it. Also had to get on roof and hang over front but we are ready for San Anton this week end. Gonna do some off roading with jeep and see Alamo and have few beers on river walk. I'm ready!!! Getting hot here in high 80's How your upgrades goin? Also how rig doin any probs yet? Only prob we havin our jacks don't come up right I'll go have them looked at next time we are around Dallas. I tried to recalibrate but didn't take. They level fine so no big dealClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	103981
Old 04-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #12
World Wide Wanderer

No problems yet. Need to write up a brief trip report. We went to the state park the last weekend in March for the weekend, then left it there for the rest of the week for my MIL to use. No issues to report. Still working through the storage and some other odds and ends. Very happy with the black tank capacity. It made it almost a week and was only 2/3rds full. We did have to water the thirsty raccoons one night when one of the gray tanks filled up. Still have to figure what drains into to what.

I was in San Antonio for work last week. I have a crew working at the Frito-Lay down near Windcrest.

Aaron

Old 04-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
Land of the Midnightsun

Wow looks good in the woods!! Haven't experienced trees yet. Just desert mountian areas I thought I'd pass on some new experience with slide outs. Finally finished waxing Moho by hand and went to pull slides in and they wanted to hang up on rubber seals. Crap I knew what I had done!! Don't wax sides of slides rubber seals won't slide well so I ran to lowes and got can of dry lube Teflon and sprayed all seals. Now it slides smooth as glass and prob should get in habit of using dry lube once a month
Old 04-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #14
World Wide Wanderer

I am on the East Coast so that is our typical campground other than the beach campgrounds along the coast. Even then we tend to stay back in the trees where it is cooler.

I always treat my slide and window seals with silicone spray to keep them from sticking.

Have you seen the video on how to lube the slide mechanism? I figure on doing it at least once a quarter if not more frequently.

Aaron

Old 04-06-2016, 07:18 PM   #15
Land of the Midnightsun

Yes I watched guy on YouTube lube a track like ours and I was looking at concord motors and gonna have to make a longer straw for lube can to reach drive gear. I'm looking forward to traveling to east coast a lot of good history over there another yr or so our trips will get longer like 6-8 weeks. I've already retired from north slope in Alaska and my wife is less than 2 yrs from her retirement and we gonna sell out here in west Tex and buy one more home somewhere ? Prob south Tex hill country wanna stay in reach of kids and grand kids.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #16
World Wide Wanderer

History all over the country!

Sounds similar to our plan we are just a few more years behind. We were doing good until the airline industry bankrupted it's employee's defined benefit retirement plans back in '05, lost a bit more with the '08 debacle. Good news is we live on 40 acres free and clear. Don't plan to leave it anytime soon. Been in my bride's family for over 80's years and she is the last of the line. It will continue to serve as home base for the foreseeable future. If you get out this way shoot me a PM we have plenty of space and hookups.

We have been to Texas a couple of times, the last time on vacation was up in the panhandle. I was hauling my old Cardinal fiver out to Mesa, AZ for the guy I had sold it to. Now I am hitting up San Antonio every 2-3 weeks for work, get to see a couple of new things every time I go. Great country we live in and a lot to see.

Aaron

Old 04-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #17
Land of the Midnightsun

We are all oilfield here in Permian Basin and we are tanking bad they are laying people off right and left but we will be ok . Our home free and clear also we set on 2 acres, I bet ur 40 is beautiful. Thank you for your offer and same applies to you and your family , you come down here and need place to stay or need any help don't hesitate to holler.

Your right about history, after I retired from Alaska I started a small trucking outfit , kind of by accident and I've been all over country and Canada. God bless amercia took on hole new meaning. Now I'm anxious to show my wife and explore deeper all the things I saw by myself.

I think I'm gonna put a chrome bull bar on front of Moho ,Mabey with couple led lights. Always thinking about that thing. Need to get lights up on awning also. We have really wore out Amazon since we got that Moho also thinking about putting rubber flaps behind rear tires. I know a big long one all the way across creates a big wind Eddie so I want 2 reg flaps. Oh? Have question? That small chrome antenna up front passenger side? Is that CB antenna? Or radio antenna for tv head unit? Welp coffee done we gonna leave for San Anton in more. Gonna go fill gas and propane. I'll check ya later
Old 04-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #18
World Wide Wanderer

Not a CB antenna, I think it is for the dash unit. I believe the other two are on the television antenna. I will take a look this weekend. I am planning on pulling the front tv out so I can see what is up in there and what it is going to take to insulate the front cap area a bit better. I thought about a bull bar for the front to fend off the deer but haven't gotten that far along yet. Awning lights are on my list, plan on feeding them out of the fridge compartment, might use the remote control type, or switch or both. Good thing about doing all my own work is that I can do whatever I want.

Aaron

Old 04-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #19
Land of the Midnightsun

How goes it neighbor ? Been busy lately. But had some experience in Moho I wish I didn't but I'm here to tell u first hand that your concord can handle 80-100mph from side with out turning over. I'm not exadurating. When we came back from San Anton couple weekends ago we hit thunderhead about 30 miles from house and it clobbered us , scared **** out of both us. The front slide topper billowing arm broke off and the wind unrolled it. Unbelievable after it passed we pulled over and looked at things. I figure sat dome all vent toppers would be gone. But everything was there. Slide topper rolled back up but all crooked. The driver side of Moho was packed with sand. We went by little car wash and hosed it down and paint was fine. The inside was dirt free. I was in shock how it took the wind and dirt. Tight seals. Good roof even topper fasteners we good shape. I ordered a new billowing arm for topper 16$ and put it on. That was all the damage. My wife and mine heart just sank on rest of drive home wondering what the real damage was once we had chance to go threw everything but I'm here to tell ya? I think we have an exceptionally well built coach. Now don't run off and chase storms because I don't ever wanna do that again. When that wind hit us I slowed down but absolutely did not stop hard turn to left to stay on road and couldn't see more that 5 ft in front of us. It still gives me the willy feeling. I thought we just might go over. But it been couple weeks and Moho still like brand new shines like dime and everything works fine. I did order a new k&n airfilter for it. Down in hill country 6 7 8% grades it pulled jeep like a champ. Great shifting no over rev. Really impressive. Hope all is goin your way
Old 04-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #20
World Wide Wanderer

Wow! I hope I don't ever hit anything like that! Mine is still very touchy to side winds. I am planning on taking it in for a front end alignment before we do any long trips.

Just had to have two trucks brought back from San Antonio that were damaged in the hail storm. Both were brand new when they left NC. I am guestimating the damage in the $5k-$7k range. Had to put windshields in both of them to get them back. One they were able to remove the dents from the roof of the cab and the doors, still had to replace the hood. The other I don't know about yet.

If you get a chance could you take a picture of the lower rear corner of your large slide while it is in? Mine sticks out a lot further than I think it should, the "middle" corner fits tight, then the gap gets a lot wider at the bottom. It seals, barely.

Aaron

Tags
modifications