Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Newbee to RV

warranty on the road

This is my first post and I could use some help.

I purchased my 2014 Coachmen Freelander 29QB, on 1 June, in So Cal where I live. This is my first Rev so I have a lot to learn.

Well we are on the road, in Washington near Seattle, and the propane regulator has gone out. So no burners and the refrigerator must be run on ac (either Genny or shore). We figured we could survive, but now the microwave runs but does not heat anything.

We are hoping to find someone who will help fix things under the warranty. I contacted a local dealer here and was told the earliest would be next Thursday. I need to be back in SoCal by next Sunday.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Also when I get back I will need additional work. My dealer is 95 miles from my home, but there is a Forest River dealer in my town <5 miles. Am I going to be able to use my closer dealer?

Thanks to any and all for any assistance.

Fred

Old 07-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscardem View Post

Also when I get back I will need additional work. My dealer is 95 miles from my home, but there is a Forest River dealer in my town <5 miles. Am I going to be able to use my closer dealer?

Thanks to any and all for any assistance.

Fred
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. I think you will find there are a lot of knowledgeable and friendly people here to help.

The theory is that any FR dealer with the expertise should be willing and able to do warranty work for you. In practice I believe that only the originating dealer will work diligently on your behalf to see you are satisfied. I am sure there are exceptions and maybe your local dealer will see an opportunity down the road for a sale when you decide to upgrade, (regardless of equipment, everyone thinks about upgrading at some point).

This isn't helpful now I know. Down the road however your best bet is to drop in regularly at the local dealer, look at new rigs with a lustful eye, get to know the service manager, and if you can, some of the techs. Work on a relationship, (it is work and will pay benefits) so when you have a problem you are a friendly face who needs their assistance and you are a potential repeat customer as well.

Something else you can do is whenever you are in for warranty work, find a reason to have something done you will have to pay for. Service, an upgrade or improvement, something for which they can make a buck.

If the local guys are less then competent, bite the bullet and drive the 95 miles when you need work.

My selling dealer is 70 miles from home. They are outstanding and take very good care of me. I know almost every tech and the managers by first name and they know my name. I tried going to a local dealer for standard chassis work (a Ford dealer no less) and every time they touched something they broke something else. A nightmare. They denied it was their fault by the way. Now I drive the 70 miles each way to see my friends and they put other work aside to take care of me. The relationship took time and effort but it works.

Sorry for the ramble...

Roll

2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Newbee to RV

Roll,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that it is the relationships that will ultimately payoff, so I will work there. But for this trip I guess it will be cold sandwiches and the enjoyment of the journey and beauty of the destination that I need to focus on.

Thanx again,
Fred
Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Just Love to Camp

Had the same problem with the microwave on time. DH pulled upstanding ended up being just a plug inside the case had come loose. I guess from bumping up and down the road... Just a thought to help you eat something hot

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'd suggest that you contact the Coachmen warranty dept, explain your problem and they should be able to direct you to the nearest Freelander dealer for repairs...maybe they'd phone and set-up the appt. I looked for a number for Coachmen Freelander, but there's none listed in their brochure.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Newbee to RV

I already did, I contacted the dealer here and was told Thursday would be the earliest. I need to be back in SoCal on Sunday.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Fred
Old 07-31-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
Newbee to RV

We did get some help with the propane regulator. Found a place in Sequim Washington that was willing to do the 15 minutes of work without having an appointment 2 weeks ahead of time. (Eric's RV Performance Center)

Now about the warranty itself that was a major run around. I did finally talk to Ron Ross (574-534-3167) from Coachmen's warranty dept who gave the authorization to actually do the work. I refuse to give any credit to the process I had to go thru to get to Mr. Ross but once I got there he was extremely helpful, so I have nothing but praise for him.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #8

I have a 2014 Freelander 28QB and talked to Mr. Ross about a center bearing on my drive shaft that is making some noise from stop thru first gear. He and I spoke and this is my first run at warranty work with him. I will keep you posted on my repair here in Houston.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by printman View Post
I have a 2014 Freelander 28QB and talked to Mr. Ross about a center bearing on my drive shaft that is making some noise from stop thru first gear. He and I spoke and this is my first run at warranty work with him. I will keep you posted on my repair here in Houston.
I have a 2013 29QB Freelander. on mine the dealer installed a few washers on carrier bearing to tilt it.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by printman View Post
Where did you buy at in Houston? Just curious. I bought a Leprechaun from Holiday World in Katy - well worth the 110 mile trip for me.

--Mickey