Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #1

Water pump mounting question

DW has never been thrilled with the noise the water pump makes, especially at night.

I have upgraded the pump to one of Shurflows best models, added the flexible supply and demand hoses and finally am remounting the pump on rubber to deaden the vibration.

I bought an accumulator tank but then saw that it is not to be used with the model pump I have.

It is the mounting method I have a question about. The pump comes originally mounted on the rear metal wall of the wet bay. I made some rubber mounting pads thinking they would absorb some of the vibration but have not installed them as yet.

On reconsideration I began to wonder if I should mount the pump on the floor of the wet bay instead of the metal compartment wall. The floor is a thick composite material which might not transmit the vibration to the compartment walls and thus further reduce the noise.

I also have a rubber mat I use for the floor of the wet bay that is heavy enough that I might attach the pump to the rubber matting and let it just sit on the floor without actually screwing it through the composite material of the wet bay floor.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Denver, CO

Best way would be to mount the pump, with the rubber grommets to a piece of plywood, which itself is mounted on rubber pads to the composite floor. The screws for the plywood shoud be in grommets and a little loose.

You can actually make it almost silent, with the flexible tubing .
Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

I have always mounted ours on a separate pc of plywood and then used rubber bushing in undersized holes in the plywood and used screws with washers to mount the board to the floor. You have to isolate the pump from contact with the floor or mounting surface. No screws, washers, etc can touch any thing but rubber.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #4

The pump has rubber grommets in the feet of course. So I mount a piece of plywood on rubber grommets and then mount the pump with its rubber grommets on the plywood. I can do that.

Thanks,

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #5

Follow Old Coots instructions and you'll be golden.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Professional Texan

After you get it all mounted with these very good recommendations, when you go to bed turn the pump off. There will be no pump noise and your wife will think you are a genius.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
After you get it all mounted with these very good recommendations, when you go to bed turn the pump off. There will be no pump noise and your wife will think you are a genius.
That will work....right up to the time she tries to flush the toilet.