Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #1

We would like stronger light under the awning; looking at LEDs

Really liked the Dometic 7 color remote LED kit but it is pricy compared to other kits I see on Amazon.

Others have had issues with the cheaper kits, according to what I read, like proper curing of the light strip, extreme outgassing, sticky material where it should not be sticky, and limited colors.

The price difference it huge though at nearly $200 for Dometic vs. $40 for the odd brand kits.

I'm not adverse to paying $200 but I hate to do so when competition is priced at 25% of that. Is Dometic overpriced or is this product a get what you pay for kind of item. I don't know.

I would also try to hard wire the set, I don't really want to deal with plugging it in all the time.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Did you see the thread
"My solution to awning lights"?

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Did you see the thread
"My solution to awning lights"?

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
I did. There is no doubt much to glean from that thread but it would take hours to go through it all. I looked long enough to think the folks posting are buying individual parts and crafting a set up. A complete kit is more attractive to me.

I have looked for a better deal on the Dometic kit and can't find anything more than a $2 or $3 discount.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I did. There is no doubt much to glean from that thread but it would take hours to go through it all. I looked long enough to think the folks posting are buying individual parts and crafting a set up. A complete kit is more attractive to me.

I have looked for a better deal on the Dometic kit and can't find anything more than a $2 or $3 discount.
I just bought a set from California.
Search ebay "horse race led"
$20.00 free shipping.
My first set lasted two years and would have lasted longer but I broke the wires.

Even cheaper if you buy from china
$12.00 ?
Expect to wait 10+ days for delivery.

I wouldn't pay dometic for there overpriced lights they are no better and likely the same lights.

Just my opinion.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #5

U can get the complete kit from Amazon. ....the more expensive kits use 5050 leds anyway....

Ive installed about 20 of these strips and had no issues...no outgassing, and no issues with the 3m style adhesive on my trailer now 3 years...as far as limited colors im not sure on that. ..I mean the 5050s will pretty much produce any color u can think of...

One of my controllers was wired wrong...red was green and vice versa...no big deal I just push yhe other button. ....

sent from fat fingers with no regard to grammer via a space dish thingy
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Watch "Horse Race Color RGB Flexible LED Strip 270 Leds 5 Meter" on YouTube

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #7

Just finished my install

Just finished installing my LEDs. I also was going to spend $200.00 plus but most reviews of all lights were positive. I bought all my stuff on E-bay for about $60.00. I got a strip of 5050 and an RF controller and remote. I did not want to mess with the IR receiver. I wired mine up to both AC and DC. Don't ask why. In retrospect just DC would have been just fine. All that said I did not want to put them directly on my fiberglass skin (just in case) so I mounted mine on the metal track where the awning attaches to the rig. As stated you can get just about any color you want if you get the right receiver/remote combo. Haven't really used them as of yet but will be going out in April and plan to use extensively. I came to my own conclusion that the LEDs are all manufactured in Asia so what was the difference. There is no way of knowing the quality of what you are getting. Cutting is easy, just cut where the instruction say you can.

Good luck

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #8

And as a side note, I was in costco and they had 16ft combo sets for like 60$...still way cheaper than the dometic set...looked like the exact same china strip I got off amazon tho...?

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #9

Make sure they are for outdoors

I think the Costco set states not for outside use. The strips used for outdoors are enclosed in silicon. Here is a good explanation. Hope the link works.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #10

I was leaning hard toward the Dometic lights, $200 is not a fortune but with all the urging that a less expensive kit would be just as satisfactory and likely have the same items anyway, I went for this: (the first one at $36.99)

Amazon.com: TaoTronics® TT-SL007 Waterproof RGB LED Strip Light Kit (16.4 feet, 300 LEDs, 5050 SMD, 44-key Remote Controller, 72w Power Supply)

I'd spend $200 to get what I want but on the other hand I don't just throw $163 out the window for no reason either.

I can still return this, anyone think I made a mistake? I looked for sixteen feet; multiple colors; 5050; 300 LEDs; waterproof; adhesive back; remote and power brick. This seemed to hit those criteria.

Gary
Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think you got exactly what you needed.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I think you got exactly what you needed.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Thanks Turbo, (I think). Can't help but recall something the wife has said a few times over the years....... "You need a good swat upside the head!"

This comes up when I do something she thinks is stupid; which is more often than I will admit to.

Gary
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Thanks Turbo, (I think). Can't help but recall something the wife has said a few times over the years....... "You need a good swat upside the head!"

This comes up when I do something she thinks is stupid; which is more often than I will admit to.

Gary
Testify to that my brutha!

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #14

I got the kit and experimented with it. I like it and thank you all for saving me the difference between $36.99 and $200.

Kit: TaoTronics® TT-SL007 Waterproof RGB LED Strip Light Kit (16.4 feet, 300 LEDs, 5050 SMD, 44-key Remote Controller, 72w Power Supply)

Question: Has anyone managed to set up a DYI that flashes (or fades) red white and blue? Like to do this for the 4th of July.

Thanks

Gary
Old 03-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #15

Pre-programed

On my Lights there are pre-programmed color of fades and blinks (or jumpy) as they are called. So for me, NO I cannot program mine and have not seen any advertised with this feature. Doesn't mean they are not out though.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #16

Got mine off of Amazon....18' long that is 110 volt. Did not want 12 volt. Think it was Peachtree....blue LED. Mounted it with the tracks I got from HD and double stick 3M tape. I have it plugged into a timer. Works great. Think they were about 35.00.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, light