Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

What do you take along? (Whats your junk list look like?)

I admit to just a touch of OCD.

When we first got the coach (March 2011) I started shopping for "stuff" that I thought would be indispensible when on the road in our new second home.

Since then I have removed some items that were just not necessary.

Nonetheless, the basement is packed. Realizing I might look for an hour for something I knew I had but couldn't recall where I stowed it, I started taking an inventory of every compartment (basement only) and finally I produced a contents list for every compartment which is taped to the inside of each compartment door, (with an alpha sort copy of each in a three ring binder inside the coach). Yeah I know, OCD.
So what others carry is interesting to me since I may have missed something important.

What do you carry?

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I probably don't take it to the extent of an actual list but I do organize the corners of my trailer storage by category.

#1 All my "sewage" stuff
#2 All my hitch, tools, leveling stuff
#3 Foldable chairs, dog stuff
#4 Electrical, water, chocking stuff
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
phat phrog stunt crew

the stuff i use frequently or often is kept more accesible than the infrequent stuff. electric and water stuff is kept on the side with the electric/water hookups. the leveling/chocks/dog tie out are kept on the opposite side. lawn chairs, mini weber grill are kept in the front storage compartment. the long 2x8's are kept in the bed of the pickup.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #4

I basically have a compartment for items as does acadianbob does and it works pretty good. Sometimes I pick the wrong compartment the first time but it gets better as you use them more. I think we have more problems finding things inside the MH. Oh we'll, it beats shoveling snow!
XL 378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #5

I'm with acadianbob, one time out I took everything out of the basement then stacked in piles and put everything back in so I could find it.

Only issue is then I had more space for more essential stuff.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #6

This kicks in my OCD to think about. Now I am going to have to yank everything out and reorganize it all to make myself feel better.
halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I bring my dw ..... isnt that enough >?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibut3 View Post
This kicks in my OCD to think about. Now I am going to have to yank everything out and reorganize it all to make myself feel better.
Just look at this list. If this doesn't make you feel better about your OCD, well, you have much it worse than I do. Can you imagine what my life will be like when I retire. I'll need lists to keep track of my lists.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Basement Storage Manifest as of 7-15-12 v 10.pdf (328.6 KB, 114 views)
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I bring my dw ..... isn't that enough >?
Yeah I did it while the DW was inside the trailer doing her thing. That way there was no crosstalk. She never goes on the basement anyway.

Fair is fair I don't know where anything is in the cupboard.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #10

I carry very little I think, compared to most. Unless of course you talk to my friend that has hiked the appalachian trail a couple of times.

At home i'm a packrat and as I get more stuff, have more places, and seemingly use things less often I can't find anything anymore. Makes me wonder why I keep so much stuff. Poor childhood I guess.

So between that and having been a mechanic for 15 years I tend to put things back where they belong. Or try too...the older I get (and the older my kids get and they borrow things) it's not as easy as it once was.

But in the camper I do well keeping things organized - too little space to do it any other way.

Front compartment is sewage (blue boy, rubbermaid tub of hose/connectors), pool toys.
Side compartment is hoses/wires/wood for blocking, chocks, etc. This compartment is organized and carpeted so things sit 'loose' just fine.
Rear compartment is all the chairs, ground cloth, lights, etc. Except for the chairs and ground cloth everything is in rubbermaid tubs. This is the big compartment.

Inside is food, clothing, bedding, bath items.

when we camp there is very little we bring we don't use - perhaps a hammok or extra chairs is about it.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
phat phrog stunt crew

halibut ... that rv guides and ideas link was cool. a home made 5th wheel that doesnt look home made was a neat idea. looked like he had an old ford pick up cab sitting in the background from the 40's era which tells me he has more talents than he is letting on.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote