Old 07-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #21
Site Team

My toilet paper and towel holder was in a plastic bag when I picked up my RV. When I asked why, I was told that everyone wants them in a different place so they leave it up to the owner to install. SPIN. They spend more effort on spin than it would cost to do the work. The real answer is FR leaves those for the dealer to install and apparently the dealer saves big bucks leaving them in the plastic bag. ( not to mention the cost of the screw). Bought many homes and no one ever left the TP holder in a bag in case I wanted it in a different place.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #22

Yep, and who can forget the Edsel?

Old 07-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
My toilet paper and towel holder was in a plastic bag when I picked up my RV. When I asked why, I was told that everyone wants them in a different place so they leave it up to the owner to install. SPIN. They spend more effort on spin than it would cost to do the work. The real answer is FR leaves those for the dealer to install and apparently the dealer saves big bucks leaving them in the plastic bag. ( not to mention the cost of the screw). Bought many homes and no one ever left the TP holder in a bag in case I wanted it in a different place.
And ours are still in the bag because we don't want to drill into a wall and hit wires or water lines.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #24

Hi tireman9...I'm a new Orion owner and I couldn't agree more about them cutting corners to save a few pennies. My coach has a small table that props up between two chairs. With the table in upright position a relative of mine leaned on it...I could hear the screws coming lose underneath. I removed the table top which was secured with 4 unmatched screws, driven directly into the crappy particle board under the laminate. The particle board was basically sawdust where the screws were. I re-drilled the holes and used dry wall anchors to get the screws to bite better...so far so good, but they couldn't think of that???
Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 AM   #25

I have a 2015 Coachmen Prism 2150 that also was shorted the velcro fasteners around the cab-over cut-out. I agree with the previous poster that we have to become co-detailers to help Forest River out. I purchased 3M industrial velcro and cut strips approx 1" x 1" that self-adheres to the metal trim. Now the privacy curtain is about 3" short of following the contours completely and sufficiently overlapping at the sides for privacy, but tolerable.

The next project was to replace the TV antenna and signal amp, to enable reception of DTV (which wasn't invented since we purchased in March of this year). The amp that was installed was identical to the Winegard model in my 1979 Itasca! Went with the Razar retrofit antenna head, and the SensarPro signal meter. around $140 invested, but now I can receive DTV. The ridiculous previous location of the signal amp now requires me to come up with an alternative location that can actually be visible to the user....details, details.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruncher View Post
I have a 2015 Coachmen Prism 2150 that also was shorted the velcro fasteners around the cab-over cut-out. I agree with the previous poster that we have to become co-detailers to help Forest River out. I purchased 3M industrial velcro and cut strips approx 1" x 1" that self-adheres to the metal trim. Now the privacy curtain is about 3" short of following the contours completely and sufficiently overlapping at the sides for privacy, but tolerable.

The next project was to replace the TV antenna and signal amp, to enable reception of DTV (which wasn't invented since we purchased in March of this year). The amp that was installed was identical to the Winegard model in my 1979 Itasca! Went with the Razar retrofit antenna head, and the SensarPro signal meter. around $140 invested, but now I can receive DTV. The ridiculous previous location of the signal amp now requires me to come up with an alternative location that can actually be visible to the user....details, details.

Glad you were able to find a solution. I tried adhesive velcro but it doesn't stick strong enough to the pebble grain plastic on my cut out area so privacy screen falls off.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #27
Commercial Member

First long trip

Well have completed our first major trip. 6 days and 1115 miles with our 2016 22QB Freelander.
The good news is that fuel economy with the 6.0L is good and improving. Dash readout is showing 10.8 and fill up at the pump confirm at 10.9. Ride comfort from the Chevy chassis is good and somehow wind noise is much improved.

Other than the aforementioned Velcro snafu
some additional stupid quality issues such as dash power outlets not working, none of the basement locks working with the keys provided by Coachmen and window shades not staying open or being off level by 10 to 15 ( see upper left in picture above. That is the best that can be done when trying to close the shade in the front overhang) we are basically pleased. Am waiting for dealer ( General RV) to advise when we can get warranty service. Been a week so far and they appear not to have a clue as to when they can fix any of these poor quality / workmanship issues despite having charged us over $1,000 to "prep" the RV before we took delivery.

Do have to wonder how Forest River evaluates new or changed design features. All the upper cabinets over the bed and in the slide over the dinette open up. This means you need one hand to hold the lid up and then have to unload items one by one with your other hand while you look for the can of soup you want. You can't use two hands as the lid will slam closed on your head or your hands causing slight injury.

When I was working in real world, I was involved is real vehicle development and did two cross country "prototype drives" This allowed various features to be evaluated before the vehicle went into production. Some items that were discovered were significant like tire ride & handling or shock firmness and others were less important but could still be bothersome like cup holder placement that prevented tuning the radio if the holder was being used.

Clearly Forest River simply decided to have the cabinet lids open up but never bothered to have anyone do a single overnight living in the vehicle.

IMO this supports my contention that RV companies are not manufacturers and probably have no real engineers with automotive development background on staff but are not much better than a bunch of guys that get together in an empty garage and decided they can assemble RVs using stuff they find at various suppliers or can import at low cost from China.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by J T View Post
If you bring the Velcro tabs down from the bunk that hold the ladder to the removable part of the bunk, the curtain will hang as you describe.

JT
That is where ours were located. I can see how that could be missed if you don't use the overhead bunk. With ours, they don't work all that well. Need to install several more.
2015 Coachmen Freelander 22QBF | 1980 Toyota truck toad

Stinkielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #29

We had 2006 Coachmen Freelander 29 DS with the same type shading system. ...velcro fasteners and frankly that set up stinks. We didn't care for that set up at all. All the fasteners were there, just didn't like it. We still have a Coachmen built rig, we REALLY like it and will remain with Coachmen / Forest River from now on.
QC needs to be picked up in ALL industry, not just the RV industry.....when was the last time anyone has purchased a "perfect" product? And when I say "perfect" I mean just that, no flaws, no imperfections, no glitches...."perfect"

I will now step down off my soapbox

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen