Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3
There is no switch since the batteries are combined thru the relay under the step everytime you start the motorhome. A dead engine battery will not start the engine, but will have enough juice to energize the relay, thus giving you full power from the coach battery to start the engine.
__________________

__________________
jstenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Batts-toy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
There is no switch since the batteries are combined thru the relay under the step everytime you start the motorhome. A dead engine battery will not start the engine, but will have enough juice to energize the relay, thus giving you full power from the coach battery to start the engine.
Interesting, this is a first for me hearing of this type of setup,

I see this is your first post, Welcome to the forum from mid-California
__________________

__________________
Dale & Terri, Lulu & Tiki (our Chihuahua's), New rescue puppy Prince - Pom/Pug mix.
2013 Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7, TRD Off-Road, 4X4, Full Tow Package
2013 Wildwood T26TBSS - Sold
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
Member
 
Pathfinder75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dixon, IL
Posts: 47
I'm thinking what jsteng may be accurate. I did check battery volts on my unit unplugged and engine off with both sets of batteries only showing battery voltage. With engine running both sets showed 13+ maybe 14 telling me there was a charge to both sets. However with engine off and unit on shore power only coach batteries showed a charging voltage the chassis battery did not.
I just now looked to see if there was 4 gauge or better cables connecting the two sets of batteries via this relay and there indeed was. I expect he is accurate saying with relay energized full power from coach batteries will be available to start engine. I may attempt to prove this to myself by disconnecting ground on chassis battery after energizing relay to see if start power is there like a weak chassis battery would be. Hope I worded that correctly.
__________________
2017 Montana HC 353RL
2017 Ford F350 6.7L Dsl., CC, SWR, LB, B&W Companion #BWRVK3300 OEM Prep mtg.


Traded- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF
retired-TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #14
Member
 
Pathfinder75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dixon, IL
Posts: 47
If the relay is a grounded to activate it should energize with chassis battery disconnected or dead. If it is a relay requiring power to energize then a dead battery would not activate relay. Will need to check th is out.
__________________
2017 Montana HC 353RL
2017 Ford F350 6.7L Dsl., CC, SWR, LB, B&W Companion #BWRVK3300 OEM Prep mtg.


Traded- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF
retired-TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Leaving VA for NM
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder75 View Post
I don't want to disappoint you but I do not believe there is one. My 2012 319DSF Leprechaun does not have it. However there is a relay under steps with batteries that charges the Coach batteries when Chassis battery is being charged by engine alternator. While I would love a wiring diagram to see if I would want to add such a feature I just carry booster cables long enough to reach the chassis battery if that was ever needed. Since both are on the same negative ground in a pinch you could take both red and black cables when to short to double length to reach the two positive terminals for the jump.
Good Luck and enjoy.
Pathfinder75, I'm afraid I have to agree with you. We had a nice weekend camping up near Williamsburg VA, and I had plenty of time to check out the driver's seat and immediate area including dash, doors etc. Unless I'm supposed to shuck out the driver's seat from its seat cover and look there, I don't think we have this feature.

My husband is an engineer and has said multiple times that he would like to see at least a general arrangement drawing, and mechanical and electrical diagrams. So far we have just depending on good old poking around and asking questions.

Thanks again,
__________________
Making a list. Checking it twice.
East2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by East2west View Post
Pathfinder75, I'm afraid I have to agree with you. We had a nice weekend camping up near Williamsburg VA, and I had plenty of time to check out the driver's seat and immediate area including dash, doors etc. Unless I'm supposed to shuck out the driver's seat from its seat cover and look there, I don't think we have this feature.

My husband is an engineer and has said multiple times that he would like to see at least a general arrangement drawing, and mechanical and electrical diagrams. So far we have just depending on good old poking around and asking questions.

Thanks again,
You can easily add a switch, just make sure it is fused correctly. Run a power (+) wire from the coach battery side of the solenoid (relay), which should be under the step, next to the coach battery, to the dash, thru the switch, and then back to the solenoid. Tie it into the small wire coming from the ignition.
__________________
jstenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
2013leprechaun319dsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder75 View Post
I don't want to disappoint you but I do not believe there is one. My 2012 319DSF Leprechaun does not have it. However there is a relay under steps with batteries that charges the Coach batteries when Chassis battery is being charged by engine alternator. While I would love a wiring diagram to see if I would want to add such a feature I just carry booster cables long enough to reach the chassis battery if that was ever needed. Since both are on the same negative ground in a pinch you could take both red and black cables when to short to double length to reach the two positive terminals for the jump.
Good Luck and enjoy.

Pathfinder
I have same model as you and got wiring diagram from Ron Ross at Coachmen.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
Pathfinder
I have same model as you and got wiring diagram from Ron Ross at Coachmen.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
If it is digital, and chance you could upload it and share?
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.