Old 10-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #11

My 2012 Leprechaun 319DS did not have jack or wrench. Tire and Rim were included in a package option or they would not be there either. I purchased a 12 ton bottle jack and a 1/2" breaker bar (stronger and longer handle than Ratchet) with proper size socket for lug nuts to carry with me. I was fearful if in a out of the way boon dock camp that road service may not be prompt if they came at all.
Dealer told me because of tire size on motorhomes people always call for service.
May be so on larger Class A but a Class C is only a 16" rim. That is not any larger than a typical 3/4 ton pickup.
I have Rotated mine once ( rotation is another subject though, some for and others against) and not thinking briefly used a 3 ton service jack on wheels to attempt to lift the rear duals. I woke up quickly realizing the vehicle weight and switched to the 12 ton with no problems.
If you can change a pickup tire then you can change a Class C tire. Duals just have two rims behind same lug nut. Remember axle weight of unit when getting a jack.

Traded- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF
retired-TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #12

same situationm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayne44freelndr View Post
I was told jack and lug wrench are a legal liability ... so, not provided to prevent law suits. That's what road side service is for. Of course, that assumes you are in an area where assistance can be contacted ... not remote camping without phone or even GPS. Let the games begin!
I was told the same at COA in Middlebury. I've since been camping in 3 places with neither cell nor gps service. I have a spare, but will have to get the wrench and jack on my own. As to liability ... my wife would definitely be coming after someone if we were stranded and I croaked on her.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #13

same situation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayne44freelndr View Post
I was told jack and lug wrench are a legal liability ... so, not provided to prevent law suits. That's what road side service is for. Of course, that assumes you are in an area where assistance can be contacted ... not remote camping without phone or even GPS. Let the games begin!
I was told the same at COA in Middlebury. I've since been camping in 3 places with neither cell nor gps service. I have a spare, but will have to get the wrench and jack on my own. As to liability ... my wife would definitely be coming after someone if we were stranded and I croaked on her.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #14

If you want a factory Ford E450 jack, handle, lug wrench, and instructions just go online (EBAY) and you will find new takeouts being sold for about $60. It's designed for the Econoline 450 and is much lighter and easier to use than a short handled heavy bottle jack. Guess they are coming from Box truck conversions since RV manufacturers say jacks are not supplied from Ford with the RV prep package. I also purchased a spare tire winch so I don't have to crawl under to unbolt the spare.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #15

I'm not aware of any new coaches being shipped w/ jacks or spares these days, with the exception of smaller class C's and B plus units
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #16

Having handled 2 blowouts on my old El Dorado (one that completely destroyed my wheel well), I've got some advice.

Get an electric impact wrench - you can get a good one from harbor Freight for under $40. You can run it off the generator, and it'll break loose that big lug nut that's probably torqued to well over 125 ft-lbs. Buy 2 bottle jacks. Not one, TWO. That way when one starts to sink in the ground you aren't stuck. Make sure you have the correct impact socket. Don't use regular sockets - you need specific for impact wrench use. Don't wait until you get the flat tire to try everything out.

You need:

2 bottle jacks (hefty ones too)
electric impact wrench
extension cord (at least long enough to reach from the outside outlets to the tire farthest away)
Impact deep well socket
Oh yeah, better have a spare tire too (that's got air in it). Check it once in a while...

Best case scenario - you never need it for your rig, but are right there for a fellow RV-er.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #17

The best advice I can offer is to get Good Sam Emergency Roadside assistance (or companynof your choice) and use the space you would otherwise use to store jacks and other equipment for party lights, beer, etc
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #18
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
The best advice I can offer is to get Good Sam Emergency Roadside assistance (or companynof your choice) and use the space you would otherwise use to store jacks and other equipment for party lights, beer, etc
x2
... and don't they all come with a year of coachnet?
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #19

I carry some short pieces of 2 X 6 to put under the jack so it does not sink in soft ground.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
x2
... and don't they all come with a year of coachnet?
But if your car was never equipped with a spare, what do AAA and CoachNet and Good Sam do when they get there to help you? Maybe they carry "fix-a-flat" like in Lou's car.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote