Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2015, 12:12 AM   #41

No spare on our 2015 Freelander 22QB. We bought one and have a jack and tools. We hope to NEVER have to change a tire ourselves, but definitely wanted the spare onboard to avoid the hassle we recently had finding the right size tire for our car.
2015 Coachmen Freelander 22QBF | 1980 Toyota truck toad

Stinkielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:29 AM   #42

My 2015 Forester 3051S came with a spare. It's way under the chassis and secured with a chain. I'd hate to have to retrieve it, but I'd be happy to have a tire repair guy get under there if he had no suitable replacement.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #43
Commercial Member

My 2016 on Chevy did not have spare but I got a mount , tire & wheel and it's nicely bolted to forward wall in the basement storage.
At lease FR installed some solid plywood where the spare is suppose to go in a Coachmen 22QB
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #44

Will Trailer Aid work on dually's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I read about Trailer Aid on this forum. Works great to get tire off the ground enough to change. Easy to store and seems more stable than using a bottle jack on the side of the road.
I can't see how this would work if the inside dually was flat? I have a 25ft 2010 Coachmen 23BB and was wondering if I could get away with a three ton jack to change the rear dually since I'm not looking to support the entire weight of the vehicle at one time. Bad idea? Floor or bottle jack?
louielandadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #45

Trailer Aid will NOT work for the inside dually tire.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #46

I fail to see how trailer aid would be of benifit. While you could possibly change outer dual tire remember there is nothing preventing the inner tire from shifting since only the outer nuts retain both.
Even with it working for outer dually you cannot remove inner tire sitting o. The Trailer Aid or the front tires using Trailer Aid. 2 out of 6 is poor odds on which tire may go flat.
3 ton jack possibly. Believe you may find it hard to pump and may regret not buying larger. I believe price for larger is not that great so recommend stepping up some.
I agree even with my 319DS Leprechaun at gross 14 .5K is 5K front GAWR and 9.6K rear GAWR. So need to lift over 2.5K on front tire and 4.8K on rear tire change. 3 ton jack at 6k should work but on my back arm extended to reach 10 inch handle may be harder than you like to pump.
I have a 12 ton that works great. Yes I use it to rotate tires which is a other topic in itself.
Drive Safe , Be Safe.

PAST- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF w/TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD, 2008 Springdale 266RL, 2002 Outback 25FB
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #47
Commercial Member

For Class-C i would get a bottle jack with a rating equal or greater than GAWR of rear axle. Not that much more than the min needed for one side.

Harbor freight is good deal.
An important item is a large flat plate to support the jack if not on concrete.
maybe 12" x 12" 1/4" thick steel plate. Check with local shop offering welding or tow hitch install as they many times have scrap pieces available

If jacking be sure to set brake and block the tires front & back so the RV can't roll.

Whenever I change an outer dual I run a couple lug nuts on the inner (hand tight is good enough)as soon as I remove the outer, just to keep one wheel under the coach in case something slips with the jack.
If changing the inner dual I temporarily use the outer tire as safety backup.

IF YOU RUN 19.5 or 22.5 tires
I strongly suggest you get service truck and let them wrestle the 100#+ tire and wheel around also if you have lost more than 20% of your air in any tire it is considered flat and if you drove any distance on it you may have damaged the body and it could explode when re-inflated. Inform the tech and let them inspect and re-inflate or replace. This could result in injury or worse.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote