Old 09-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #1

Winterizing the Encounter

Could one of the Coachmen Encounter owners on this forum please tell me how to get antifreeze into the water lines? My old 3150SS had a fitting on the water control panel that you connected a hose to and sucked it out of the antifreeze bottle. I can't find anything like that on my Encounter. Thanks.

DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSurette View Post
Could one of the Coachmen Encounter owners on this forum please tell me how to get antifreeze into the water lines? My old 3150SS had a fitting on the water control panel that you connected a hose to and sucked it out of the antifreeze bottle. I can't find anything like that on my Encounter. Thanks.
FR commonly provides a coil of hose attached to the pump suction via a 3way valve. Switch valve to take suction from bottle not tank. start pump it will the piping system. Be sure to bypass Water Heater first. Hose may be located in bay with pump

Old 09-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Former Full Timer

If you don't have the snazzy valve set up VinceU described (none on my Low End Pursuit), then you can use a drill pump to siphon the pink stuff out of the jug and into the FW tank. Then you can use the system pump to distribute. I don't winterize but I use this method to sanitize. It should be easier & faster with the antifreeze because it has a higher viscosity.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I will check for a coiled hose on my next trip to the storage lot where the MH is kept, but I don't think there is one there. Actually, I haven't even located the water pump yet. When I do and if there is easy access I will install a winterizing line to it.
Duckogram, thanks for the reply. But I think adding antifreeze to my fresh tank would be a last resort. I usually just drain it for winterizing but it was easy to do on my Freelander. I've got a lot to learn about this Encounter.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

Winterizing the Encounter

Got water aboard? If so start the pump, walk around outsic
You'll find it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #6

DSurette,

I have an Encounter, (37tz). To remember the winterizing process and water heater settings, I made up the following attached list and picture. The pic is actually of my water heater with comments. I cut an access door in the side of a basement compartment and attached the pic on the back side of the door. I did this because reaching over the wooden divider was annoying and removing the divider (5 screws) was time consuming.

Now a couple years later it seems overkill for a rather simple process but I thought there was a chance it might be helpful to you so I am sharing it.

I don't have a picture of the access door I made but can get one if someone wants to see it; it is not a thing of beauty but it works.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterHeater bypass picture v 12.jpg
Views:	1142
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	62753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater by-pass diagram.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	62754  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Winterizing water system 10-21-13 v 3.doc (32.5 KB, 102 views)
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #7

Location of water pump. It is most certainly located in your wet bay. I see you have the 36BH model though I have a different model the wet bay should be very similar if not exactly the same. My pump was attached to the metal back wall of the wet bay behind the front panel.

Attached to the metal panel the vibration of the pump could be heard throughout the coach. The loud noise when the pump was running annoyed the DW who asked that I "do something about it".

I made an isolation mounting board and relocated the pump to the floor of the wet bay where it was quieter (DW now happy) and also easier to access for winterizing.

See pic: Water pump is now under panel but on the floor to the left. Note that the filter housing is not screwed onto the filter lines so you can see the location of the pump.
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070106.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	62755  
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #8

Thanks for the information. I just replied to your wet bay heater question not realizing that it was from the same person.
I did find the pump and I guess the only way to get at it is to move the panel. I'm planning to use a couple of valves for winterizing. One to shut off the water input and one to open for the antifreeze input. We can barely hear the water pump when it is running so I may leave it where it is if I can add the valves without too much trouble. Otherwise, I will relocate it to the floor like you did. My wet bay is very similar to yours. But what is that green thing at the lower right under the light?
Thanks again for the help.
Dave
Old 09-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSurette View Post
Thanks for the information. I just replied to your wet bay heater question not realizing that it was from the same person.
I did find the pump and I guess the only way to get at it is to move the panel. I'm planning to use a couple of valves for winterizing. One to shut off the water input and one to open for the antifreeze input. We can barely hear the water pump when it is running so I may leave it where it is if I can add the valves without too much trouble. Otherwise, I will relocate it to the floor like you did. My wet bay is very similar to yours. But what is that green thing at the lower right under the light?
Thanks again for the help.
Dave
Removing the panel will be work. There is a spiders nest of water lines up behind the panel. I used a camera and flash to take pics and then looked them over before trying to get up in there. My pump was mounted to the right of the tank drains about halfway up the back wall. The fittings side was pointed down so reaching it to take off the suction side and attach a tube that I then put in a bottle of antifreeze was not too difficult. I moved the pump because of the noise not access in case that helps.

I added the light which is wired into all the basement lights and the green thing is a pegboard tray that I attached to hold a small bottle of foaming antibacterial soap. I had some rubber mats that I cut to fit for the floor of the wet bay.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #10

Roll, you were right about the rats nest behind the panel. I removed the screws holding the panel and could move it only a couple of inches. But that was enough to disconnect the water line that comes from the tank to the water pump. With the use of a few brass elbows and valves I added a circuit whereby I could shut off the tank and open a line to suck in antifreeze. I connected and coiled up about 5 feet of hose for the AF. And all of that was done with only two trips to Home Depot. So now with just turning a couple of valves I am all set to winterize. I think my next project in the wet bay will be to install a bypass for the water filter, similar to what is used for the water heater.

Tags
winter, winterize